Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK - Ramelle

djoexe
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
djoexe polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys, it has been ages since i've posted something here. Here is my latest project made in UDK, before switching to UE4.

It is 95% percent done, considering your feedback, i will tweak stuff here and there before making a flythrough for my final shot.

This project is basically the last sceene in the film Saving private Ryan where soldiers have to defend the bridge that crosses Neuville and Ramelle.

I didn't have any references except the film itself to recreate what I could with the footage. I also put some extras here and there to make it more appealing.

I'm open to add some static meshes to fill it even more and I will add some post process to it as well.

Thank you in advance for any critics :)
Latest Update
bxw1i.gifvia Imgflip GIF Maker

Capture10_zps2d6ab46a.png~original

Capture9_zps9e3b1724.png~original
UDK2014-08-1814-55-33-00_zps045740ea.jpg~original
UDK2014-08-1814-56-10-11_zps55de1ba2.jpg~original
UDK2014-08-1814-56-36-19_zpsc8dd8ef6.jpg~original
UDK2014-08-1814-57-20-84_zpsc13d589b.jpg~original
UDK2014-08-1814-57-38-44_zpsc9442e1c.jpg~original
UDK2014-08-1814-58-36-77_zps6243dba1.jpg~original
UDK2014-08-1815-00-00-58_zpsa2df83a2.jpg~original
UDK2014-08-1815-00-29-55_zps72aac5b1.jpg~original
UDK2014-08-1815-00-52-30_zps4b1e9d0c.jpg~original
UDK2014-08-1815-01-55-74_zps0ceeb505.jpg~original
UDK2014-08-1815-02-17-66_zpsa0313318.jpg~original
UDK2014-08-1815-03-31-87_zpsd955a1f4.jpg~original

Replies

• djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    Hey mate, I don't see any pictures of your project,and the link doesn't show anything either.
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great piece. Before reading your first post I was thinking it looked like the final scene from Saving Private Ryan. A prop suggestion of mine is a bicycle, perhaps. Did you include the bomb craters the Americans used as cover when they were making way to the other side of the bridge? I would use artistic license on the church tower, Normandy is famous for having amazing looking Gothic architecture. One last suggestion, more variation in the rubble but you probably haven't gotten that far yet. Well done.
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    I personally think that there is a big blank space in between my buildings. I was thinking about adding a blown up tiger tank in the middle of the scene to fill that space.

I'm also down for the bicycle as well :) thanks for the advices.
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    Little Bump for luck:poly128:
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Your lighting/fog settings could use a lot of work. Everything looks blown out and shadows are too subtle.
    Examine the following:

UDK2014-08-1814-55-33-00_zps045740ea.jpg~original

VS.

screenshot-lrg-26.png?AWSAccessKeyId=0XM9FKW8XQ7AQ6S1D302&Expires=1408486281&Signature=POVPyCOiG781eZ4s2fNa%2FmRG1Eo%3D

Above image from film:
    There is a full range of values all the way from black to white, There is clear depth with concerns to distance. Your value range is very flat and lacks contrast. I understand the look your going for, but you could push it further and don't be scared to have areas that are not detailed/in shadow. You need those values to add interest and ground your objects.
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    I agree with you about the tone and lack of saturation, i'll make some adjustments for sure about it, but the thing is....i can't see your second image that you have posted :(

Would greatly appreciate if you repost it sir. Thank you for the input though :)
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    Got the picture you tried to show me
    screenshot-lrg-26_zpsd2c02052.png~original
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    Quick update on fog/lighting
    -less washed out
    -bit more saturated
    -shadows overhaul

Capture3_zps4c706fdd.png~original
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    I tihnk thats a huuuge improvement! I was about to comment, that I thought it was a shame to fog up such a beautiful environment, but now it is so much better, imo :)
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Really like it. Less washed-out is better. RO3 confirmed?
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    Here are some TOD i've ended up with, from the less eye appealing to, IMO, better looking one.

I've also paved the whole ground with cobbleStone. A bit too much...maybe !?

Capture6_zps2f7a9a3e.png~original

Capture5_zps426a4a25.png~original

Capture4_zps757eae7b.png~original

I'm wondering if I sould stay with my last post before this one, instead of going with the third picture i'm posting now.

Let me know what you think. Thanks
  • Dobbler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dobbler polycounter lvl 11
    Beautiful city! I'm really digging the quality of light you've created in those last screens. I think you need to reconfigure those cobblestones though, the shell/fan-shaped patterns are very strong and distracting from the rest of the scene.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Awesome work! I feel like some of it could be a little bit higher poly. Like the cobblestones for example. The trees look a bit weird imo. And the leaking decals don't blend in very well.

I also agree about the cobblestone pattern.
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're almost there. Two aspects of the pieces need attention.

Firstly, the cobble stones look too new and are sticking out too much. They need to look worn like they have been there for hundreds of years and have some variation, I suggest using vertex painting. For UDK 3, Tor Frick made a free video tutorial showing now to do this at http://eat3d.com/free/vertex_painting , although I'm sure Unreal Engine 4 has more advanced features.

Secondly, I've noticed the decals for grunge have a sort of grey coating around them, making them stand out. I've had this issue before myself, however in the new Unreal Engine this may not be an issue.
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    Update

Get rid of couple of meshes to redo the main road and its texture.

So what i've done so far on this update

-Making texture for the road
    -Make use of verxtex painting for dirt, wet cobble as well as water puddle on the road.
    -Road cratters
    -change ligthing setup to match more with the film ( not defined yet )
    -I did get rid of all my trees, so i'll make new ones in my next update.

Still Tons of stuff to do, so i'll keep you updated asap. Thanks for support :)

Capture8_zps63bd2e93.png~original

Capture10_zps2d6ab46a.png~original

Capture9_zps9e3b1724.png~original