paradoxical-pixel polycounter lvl 10
UPDATE:

maxwell-rik-taylor-flintlockexport-0004-comp-clips-0-00-10-24.jpg?1413999259

maxwell-rik-taylor-flintlockexport-0000-comp-clips-0-01-04-10.jpg?1413999239

maxwell-rik-taylor-flintlockexport-0002-comp-clips-0-00-26-09.jpg?1413999248

maxwell-rik-taylor-flintlockexport-0003-comp-clips-0-00-18-13.jpg?1413999815

ORIGINAL POST:

Hey, fellow Polycounters! :)

Seen here, is an antique flintlock pistol that I am currently working on. I have designed it to be very ornate with many of its silver features mirroring French designs from the 17th century. I threw-in a few fleur-de-lis' for good measure!

On the very bottom portion of the handle, will be a gargoyle-esque head, which seems to have been popular at the time. I have deliberately obscured it from these shots as it is currently at a very early stage.

The guns are supposed to be in good condition with some gunk and blemishes making a subtle appearance on the silver components. The wood is going to be ever-so-slightly beaten-up too.

So far, I have only modelled/sculpted the high-poly models, which were originally made in Maya using NURBS before bringing into ZBrush.

Constructive criticism is both welcome and encouraged. Thanks! :)

flintlock_WIP_screen_A.jpg

flintlock_WIP_screen_B.jpg

flintlock_WIP_screen_D.jpg

flintlock_WIP_screen_E.jpg

flintlock_WIP_screen_F.jpg

Replies

• paradoxical-pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have begun polypainting a mask to be used in creating the metalness and roughness maps later. The mask, of-course, encompasses the entire RGB histogram, but will be attenuated in its final form.

All parts shown here will be silver with correct metalness/roughness values (assuming I can find them).

flintlock_WIP_screen_K.jpg
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    id say tone down the lighting on your renders, i can hardly see some of the detail in there.
    basic forms look good, case is nice. but work on the renders, the light seems a little too bright.
  • paradoxical-pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot wrote: »
    id say tone down the lighting on your renders, i can hardly see some of the detail in there.
    basic forms look good, case is nice. but work on the renders, the light seems a little too bright.

Good point. The last two are particularly washed-out. I will bear this in mind for next time.
  • paradoxical-pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am now creating the low-poly geometry. There has got to be a better technique than this for retopologising hard-surface objects.

The relatively high edge-loop density is to help DX11's RT-Tessellation maintain equal polygon distribution.

ZBrush-ScreenGrab03.jpg
  • paradoxical-pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Things are edging their way into Marmoset Toolbag 2 now.

screenshot013.png
  • NurmanZh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NurmanZh polycounter lvl 10
  • paradoxical-pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    Nice work on that metal! Classy decoration to :D
  • Avvi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    The details are fantastic! The materials look good too, for example the wooden part's glosiness and subtle detail on the metal.

For the presentation, though, you could use more neutral angles and cleaner separation of main model vs. box vs. the far background. Because the strength is in the details here and they kind of get lost in the chaos. Little details can't stand a fight with such strong dynamics of the background, of compositon.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus polycounter lvl 7
    Very nice indeed. If I were to be critical, I'd say the materials need some fine tuning. The metal on the top part seems to have a little too much noise, not much though. And the wood has a bit too much dirt or dark spots. I think the wood would benefit with some areas of rest, where the wood looks mostly clean.
  • paradoxical-pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi, thanks for your input. You've made a really good point there.

narticus, I agree with, and appreciate your words. I should point-out though that the wood is supposed to have a speckled grain. Perhaps I haven't effectively conveyed the speckles, given that you considered them to be dirt. Thanks.
  • paradoxical-pixel
  • Callister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome I think the turntable is a little quick though.
  • \\BlkOps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brilliant work - really great renders!

"I am now creating the low-poly geometry. There has got to be a better technique than this for retopologising hard-surface objects."

If it doesn't need polyflow then try the ZBrush Decimation Master plugin - works a treat!
  • Demmone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks amazing, but i have to agree with Callister the turntable is a tad to quick but its really nicely done!
    Good job!
  • AirmanEpic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AirmanEpic polycounter lvl 6
    Can you explain how it was done? I wanted to do something like this but I'm quite terrible.
  • paradoxical-pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input, everyone! :) I absolutely agree regarding the speed of the turntables.

\\BlkOps, I did want to use decimation master, but DX11 real-time tessellation requires clean topology with evenly distributed edge-loops.

Hi AirmanEpic! I will gladly explain my process; I hope it helps. :)

After conducting some research and developing a good idea of the direction I wanted to go in, I began fleshing-out a rough model of the gun in 3DS Max, paying special attention to the silhouette and fundamental shape. Due to the complex curvature of certain parts of the gun (such as the hammer and various decorative patterns), it was necessary to adopt a NURBS modelling approach (mostly bi-rails) on some parts. All NURBS surfaces were created in Maya before being converted into polygons and brought back into 3DS Max. I opted for Maya due to my dislike of Max's NURBS tool-set. NURBS aren't used that frequently in game art workflows, but I enjoy the precision they bring to the table.

With the entire model now in one scene file, I exported it from Max in OBJ format and brought it into ZBrush for cleanup and detailing. The first thing I did in ZBrush was convert everything into a dynamesh and bond certain overlapping meshes together so as to create complex contours in the wood and metal.

After cleaning up the mesh, I used spotlight and some alpha brushes to add detail. The floral pattern to the barrel was created following the following methodology:
    1. Create new cylinder in 3DS Max to exact dimensions of existing barrel
    2. Apply a cylindrical UV unwrap to the cylinder with the seam hidden by the wood
    3. Create a grayscale heightmap of the floral relief pattern that conforms to the cylindrical UV unwrap
    4. Import cylinder to ZBrush and load the texture into the 'Displacement Map' rollout
    5. Tweak the settings, apply displacement, and voil
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    [*]Create a grayscale heightmap of the floral relief pattern that conforms to the cylindrical UV unwrap

thanks a lot for the detailed tutorial. I'm working on a model in the same vein and I wonder - how did you create the floral relief? Did you google it or drew it in PS by hand?
  • AirmanEpic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AirmanEpic polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for that breakdown, I learned a lot! Out of curiosity, is there a reason you didn't do the initial hammer and such in Zbrush? And what exactly is "Cleanup"?
  • paradoxical-pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @dzibarik

The floral relief pattern is the only photo-derived part of the gun. I dropped into the Royal Armouries while visiting Leeds a few months ago, and seized the opportunity to get some nice photo-reference.

I began by extracting a single diamond shape (containing a subset of flowers) from the photograph and used Photoshop's transform tools to correct for perspective distortion. After ensuring the diamond would repeat across the barrel in an aesthetically pleasing manner, I painted on top of it with 0-255 height values.

The relief pattern is therefore somewhat of a hybrid, originating from a photo but receiving a lot of hand painted love too.

The gloss map used the 'Mask by Smoothness' and 'Mask by Cavity' masking options in order to create the impression of grime, blemishes and exposed metal after the displacement had been applied.

Another strategy I sometimes use is to import the displacement map into ZBrush as a regular texture and then select the 'Mask by Colour' --> 'Mask by Intensity' masking option. This enables precise placement of the pattern while being free to sculpt the pattern into the surface of the ZTool using whatever brush you desire.

@AirmanEpic

Using NURBS was a matter of personal taste more-so than anything else. I wanted to convey a very particular curvature for the hammer, feur-de-lis, and various decorative elements; machined parts typically have complex yet smooth contours and a NURBS approach can capture this well. You could use ZBrush/MODO/etc and achieve similar results should you desire to, but NURBS, for me, are faster and more precise.

My use of the word, 'cleanup,' certainly was quite ambiguous, and I used it in two different contexts ― let me expand.

In my first usage of the term, I was referring to fixing some of the anomalies that had occurred after applying dynamesh's union add algorithm to bond several meshes together. Anomalies frequently seems to occur in ZBrush when using dynamesh. I usually mend these areas using the trim and polish brushes.

Later, I used it to mean correcting the low-poly model's topology. ZBrush's retopology tool is reasonably good, but it does come with a few drawbacks. One of which is that, when trying to select a vertex, it is very easy to inadvertently create a new vertex right next to the original. This leads to incomplete faces and 'doubles' (two vertices in the same place). Repeat this mistake enough times, and you have a topological nightmare! I had a few such misplaced vertices and missing faces in my low-poly model, and so used 3DS Max's weld to remove the doubles, and functions such as bridge and extrude to instate the missing faces.

I hope that was helpful. :)