Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Castle Ruins

Hey guys, I've been working on learning UE4 by making this castle ruins environment, so here are some WIP shots. Comments and critique would be much appreciated.

djkSldX.jpg

NaVa5Wz.jpg

Da79RLz.jpg

The next thing I plan to do with it is fix the black dots all over the ground on the vertex painted parts of the ground mesh. I think this is happening because the mesh is too large, so I'm going to try breaking the mesh up. I want to ZBrush the large blue rocks in the foreground (also the same rock as the large brown "Pride Rock"), and then paint the skybox clouds and mountains in the background. I've been having trouble getting the fog to be dense without being too brightly lit, but some DOF may help with the scene's depth and give the effect I'm going for. The plants are also all still on flat cards, so I've been figuring out how to keep them stylized somewhat like the reference painting I used, but give them more depth than what they have now. I might also make another big rock wall piece for the background to break up the modular shapes of the ones I have repeating back there.

I loosely based the environment off of this awesome environment painting by Andreas Rocha:
s587lMW.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Replies