Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC - Vertigo

Griffin
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Griffin polycounter lvl 6
Hey folks, bit of a late start here but this was a contest I simply couldn't miss! UT99 was one of the first games I ever owned, I have fond memories of playing Facing Worlds for hours against bots, just sitting in the tower and sniping every poor little bot that spawned :) Godlike!

Current progress: 4 rough comps, deciding which ones to polish up further and which ones to cut.

Look forward to hearing more feedback on what is working and what isn't.

Update: Color variations, which one do you like?
ab594k.jpg

2uoh1xw.jpg
b4gsol.jpg

Replies

• LandSknecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LandSknecht polycounter lvl 5
    I'm hesitant to recommend which you should finish as I'd like to see them all finished, haha. That said, the largeness of the first definitely looks like it would make for an awesome CTF/TDM map similar to: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e04xQaBlP8M"]Hall of Giants[/ame] The purple/teal scheme gives off a bit of a Halo Covenant vibe, but that's neither here nor there. The direction of the particles is really impressive with this one and the red accents look really cool.

In the second, I can't quite tell if there's a fire raging in the distance, but the color and direction of the light certainly elicits such a thing; or at least to me. The similarities of this and the third in color might make them a bit tougher to distinguish when put against one another and might benefit from reordering the image 2, 1, 3, but that's just the post and not the images themselves. Looking more at this image, I will say that this is the one by perspective or otherwise that the theme 'Vertigo' probably fits the least in my head.

And the third. Where the first image brought about a sense of vertigo from the ground, this does it from the sky, and I think this might also be important to a vertigo theme. A fear of falling isn't quite the same when you can safely touch the ground, but if you know you'll die, the ever presence of its namesake might keep you second guessing your jumps. The thing I like most about this is the high and low of yellow plates over brick, these seem to me like great cues as to where the player is on such an ostensibly vertical map.
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    All of them look interesting, I would probably vote #1 or #2 as best. :)
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll second everything that Land said earlier and especially about trying to finish all of them because they are all great.

Thematically speaking. I would say #3 is the best bet for your theme name "Vertigo" just because its the most obvious "Things are high up you get vertigo"

#2 I wouldn't call vertigo, and instead it seems to be over a huge fire pit I can see the heat waves rippling at the bottom. I would just call this a new theme "Heat Wave" and be done with it

#1 I could easily see this being in the vein of Hall of Giants, I swear the foreground guy is aiming in someone else inside the blue-tube, again very Hall-of-Giants with getting shot into the air through tubes. This might be the best as far as composition, it carries the most information about the area and directs the eye the most of the 3.

Usually vertigo is from looking down but people can get it looking up as well.
    Look at this shot and tell me you don't get the feeling you are hundreds of miles in the air. ;)

falling-up.jpg
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    All three are composed really well + awesome colors - I think #1 feels most like something that could translate into a multiplayer map though.
  • Griffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your feedback everyone, I figure if I'm going to finish more than one, I should have a couple different themes like FirebornForm suggested. The vertigo theme was an afterthought, I started the process just throwing down UT-feeling map ideas. Here is another one I polished up a bit, I call it "Day Job".

b4gsol.jpg
  • JzeiJzei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work, I like the idea that you have some elevation in the designs... it brings much more variation gameplay wise.
  • Griffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some refinements + color variation. Which color scheme would you choose?
    ab594k.jpg
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol Hue-Saturation slider.

Colors depend on what you want to do with it. But thematically I could see the green one being a Skaarj area (They do looove their green lights). The red and purple ones would probably fit more into Necris as the colors look like a blood-filled test tube and definitely looks old. There's also a yellow tube variation that makes things look gritty-horror scifi movie.

Personally, for UT it might be better to use an established scheme. IE go with Skaarj Green or Necris Red. Cyan purple still has vibes of Halo covenent and we wouldn't want people to be confused looking at a screenshot ;)