Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Small futuristic appartment, WIP.

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
NOlhovskis polycounter lvl 4
Hi. I've been working on and off on a small project in UE4 in order to familiarize myself with the new version of the Unreal. The main idea of this environment was to create a small, cramped space that utilizes available space to the maximum. It has some futuristic elements, however I tried to keep it close to something realistic.
I've done most of the initially planned modelling and sculpting, as well as unwrapping for the lightmaps, as you can see from the screenshots.

aO7KMo4.jpg

TbZwVzx.jpg

zM8qE0B.jpg

p4D4jw4.jpg

I want to finish all the modelling, and then move on to texturing. Luckily, most of the soft-surface objects have sculpts, so I will be able to bake a lot of maps.
In any case, I feel like I could add more detail and personality to the place before starting texturing, so if you could give some advice and critique on this, I'd really appreciate it.

Replies

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    That is beautiful.
  • NOlhovskis
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, that's nice, but I'd love to have some advice on what stuff to add and what to change.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    NOlhovskis wrote: »
    Well, that's nice, but I'd love to have some advice on what stuff to add and what to change.
    its really hard without any textures, sorry. but I think you should get some textures going, its a lot easier to see whats missing when you are closer to reality then white AO renders.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    "The main idea of this environment was to create a small, cramped space that utilizes available space to the maximum."

+

"Well, that's nice, but I'd love to have some advice on what stuff to add and what to change."

Do some research on the topic.

Right now this is just a small apartment. Nothing about this design shows daring, unconventional design ideas for maximizing a small space while offering its inhabitants(s) everything they'd need in life.

Who built this? Why do they live here? What do they do for a living? How many are there? Are they a couple? Room or flat mates? A loner?

Make it smaller in footprint but bigger in ambitious design. Get creative. Do some real-world research and apply it within this 'futuristic' world you've created.

Maybe walls fold down to make a table, but fold up to make a living room, complete with a 55" television. Where's the bathroom? How is it private? Does it need to be private or could the bathroom sink also be used as the kitchen sink? What if they have guests over, where do they sit? What do they do?

There are a ton of videos of apartments that are <100 sq. ft. or less, and the creative liberties designers had taken to get the most out of the space.

What makes it futuristic? Small? Intelligent design? Do that.
  • NOlhovskis
    Offline / Send Message
    its really hard without any textures, sorry.
    A fair point.

adam, thanks for the post, that really on point. I'll do some more research and will change the place accordingly.