Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC - Phobos

Hello again

I found some time to have a go at another theme. Last one I made was an abandoned temple, so this time I wanted a more sci-fi setting, with a lot of metallic surfaces and some other weird materials.

I started out by taking a few screenshots and I chose one from UT99 Phobos. I used some HR Gigers paintings to kick start it and set the tone a little - the map is called phobos so I find sci-fi horror to be the right fit :)

phobos_2_01.jpg

Initial paintover

phobos_04.jpg

phobos_05b.jpg

Replies

• Loginus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slight kneejerk reaction to changing up the classic UT map Phobos which was a space station into giger but nevermind that :) The name "Phobos" is what inspired you and yeah it does sound Alien scifi like so I can see where you're coming from. It'll probably fit better if you called your theme something besides Phobos when you submit to the final because Phobos in UT lore is a hightech sci-fi space station, nothin giger there :P

Overall I think you're doing a good job doing a very good Giger theme but noisy textures and ultra dark stuff is what UT3 failed on so be careful with it.

Clarity is what Epic wants and... right as this is I think is still relatively clear but it'll only get noisier if you keep adding more stuff. I'm sure the lighting will be muuuch better in Unreal Engine 4 but this stuff is important to keep a close eye on so it doesn't get too far into unplayable territory.

Here's Epic talking about clarity for the player, worth checking out if you haven't seen it already.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV-YSLbidzo"]Unreal Tournament 4 - Visual Clarity and Official Concept Art Preview - YouTube[/ame]
    https://forums.unrealtournament.com/showthread.php?8029-Visual-clarity-in-Unreal-Tournament
  • Loginus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

regarding the details I agree, another Necris theme is the last thing I want in the new UT. I'm trying to use larger shapes like pipes, cover plates etc instead of very intricate patterns. It is not supposed to be 1:1 copy of Gigers style (which I don't think I could do at all), I think the final result will look overall much simpler. Instead of aggressive looking I'm aiming at something more soft, nauseating, filled with that sickly yellow light.
  • MironishiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very interesting. Thank you!
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright cool, just wanted to give you a warning if you intended to go overboard. You have a solid start and I'd hate to see it get ruined by over detailing. Looks like you got a direction in your head and you know the pitfalls of UT3. Some people liked UT3's visually noisy maps but Epic doesn't want to make that same mistake again.

Your larger pipes seem like a good solution to blending the styles together, carry on!
  • Loginus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had time to finish my second theme, so there are a few WIPs:phobos_09.jpg

phobos_09_colours.jpg

And the final image:

phobos_10_sml.jpg