Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC - Alien Forest

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Suidae polycounter lvl 11
Hey everyone. UT got me interested in art in the first place, so it would feel wrong not to give this a shot.

I'm going for an alien forest theme inspired by the old tokara forest map/kashyyyk/all those similar environments i've seen and loved. I've made some sketches trying to hit on the mood I want. Should have some more stuff tomorrow.

jISMSzl.jpg

Replies

• Suidae
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more stuff. I'm thinking furry pines, carved out interiors, glowy plants, and jump pods.
    OJCt0f9.jpg
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wild colors man. As far as clarity goes this color scheme is already much better than Tokara Forest in my opinion, that map was always kind of hard to see when everything was so dark at all times. Carving out pathways through trees is much more interesting than simply stuff built around trees.
  • Suidae
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP for the day. I need at least two shots to show the inside and outside. I'm going for a dark, gnarled wood look on the inside (maybe the root structures of the trees) to show off possible bioluminescent plants and glowing alien symbols, etc. Maybe darkness is the wrong direction, but I think I'll sit on it for now while I start on the other shots.

AL0ofk2.jpg
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sup man, I don't think your dark shot is a problem. I would actually still call that pretty clear to see, dimmer but not dark in my eyes. Yeah compared to the outside it's much lower in values but I can see perfectly well.

Cool colors, very serene with the dark purple floorboards.

If you want to take your shot idea further to finish here's a bunch of pictures of inside of trees. You've got a good sketch going on the overall forms and values but the texture doesnt say "inside of a gnarled tree" just yet and seems to look more like rocky caves.

2013-07-18277.jpg

5512344012_cc530e8dce.jpg

inside+hollow+tree.jpg

Inside_a_Tree_by_alahay.jpg

hollow_tree.jpg
  • amadeux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amadeux polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome texture and atmosphere on the wip. cant wait to see your complete work.
  • Suidae
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Amadeux, and thanks Fireborn for the critique. I think in the process of painting I forgot what I was actually doing and ended up with the wrong look. Here's the updated shot. Hopefully made it read more as wood and root like. I also added a hole in the roof above the jump pad; it wouldn't be very fun crushing your head into the ceiling.

1I0aMC6.jpg
  • Suidae
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Figured I'd post a couple images while I work out how I want to do the outside.

uB3T4PA.jpgbjhoEQp.jpg
    xn8yw88.jpg
  • asim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome. I´m looking forward to see more of your stuff. The leveldesign with all these holes, jumppads and stairs must be really amazing. I would get crazy in this level :)
  • Kromus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep going, this is great and the lighting amendment is lovely!
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This has totally became it's own thing! I still like the simple versions of classic village between multiple trees but this giant sponge-like tree roots is really nuts. Your inside shot is a lot better as far as conveying the right texture, glad I could help!