Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC - Tears of the Gods

Hello everyone! The basis of my concept became a mixture of antique architecture and hi-tech. Here are some references and sketches.
kolonna_slez.jpgd0bad0b0d180d0b8d0b0d182d0b8d0b4d0b0_2.jpg

aNaNW-28E4c.jpg
z52bSzqdJj4.jpg
xAIua0Ep4NM.jpg
A8wRWZNhYZQ.jpg
bMTfYsK8R34.jpg

Replies

• FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa now that's some crazy pillar design at the top! Where's you pull that ref from?

I would say this definitely fits the bill of the ol unreal tradition of remixing tech with ancient civilizations. Your indoor shots are really cool and I get an otherworldly feeling to it, which is good for something called "Unreal" Tournament.

The gray-black-blue designs seems to be more techy but your indoor shot below is a really cool palace temple of sorts, feels more like an intact alien civilization made up of natural materials and not techy, of course that can be an easy fix just making the blue jems be LED like.

The only thing I would say is lacking is your outdoor shot. It's a little disappointing that it's just a box stuck in a mountain but I like the overall tranquil blue night sky.
  • Kromus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow. I absolutely love the director of the architecture, you obviously thought a lot about which aspects of each "style" to use. The colors are also fantastic, and the general atmosphere it creates is great and inspiring.

I do not fully agree with Fireborn on the techy comment, though it could definitely be "teched up" a little bit more, as it feels more like shiny cool temple then techy temple, but other than that you've had a cracking start.

Cant wait to see this develop further.
  • CriAnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys for feedback! :icon15:
    Here some updates:
    9ATHg-ixSTg.jpg
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Outside area is improved as far as interesting shapes much farther away from "a box in the mountain".

Right now you have the civilization structures almost embedded into the rock. The center pool for example looks like it was cleanly carved out of the mountain. Though I don't really get that same feeling from the rest of the ruins.

I'm not sure if what you want is a a slab of tech ruins ontop of natural rocks but For sake of argument I'm going to throw a bunch of ideas at you and you can use any of them if you like!

Usually speaking sentient civilizations modify the landscape to suit their purposes, for an extreme example you could check out Machu Picchu with their very geometric step like areas.
    machu-picchu-late-afternoon.jpg

Alternatively if you wanted to blend it more with the environment you could take a look at Ireland's Giants Causeway
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Ruins+in+rocks&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=TtfWU465JMy0yATA4YKQAg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=2144&bih=1068&dpr=0.9#q=giants+causeway&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

Rock quarries can also have a very rigid almost techy look.
    6-207-earth-quarry.jpg

Finally if you wanted to go more into the direction of your pool. I think the concept of laser carving some of the ruins out of the rocks rather than building ontop of them suits a high-tech civilization better so I would say check out the middle eastern city of Petra.
    http://tourists360.com/petra-jordan/

You can also check out the crystal skulls if you are looking for more ornate stuff.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=crystal+skulls&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=genWU9a0MYO1yAS98oKoAw&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=2144&bih=1068&dpr=0.9

I think your shape design you've got going in the main room is very elegant and minimalistic, you could toy extending that concept out a little more. I would love to see some more indoor architecture from this theme. Maybe the indoors have more water pools fountains or waterfalls, or maybe the pool is only on the outside.

Just throwing ideas at you! Keep going
  • CriAnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you FirebornForm!
    New indoor sketch OayhWARuJNI.jpg

Live stream here
  • CriAnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good CriAnn. Outdoor has a lot more "Stuff to do" and I think you've gotten far enough away from "Box in a mountain".

I like the new indoor shot but I greatly miss the indoor peach colored lighting you had earlier it helped the areas stand out "This is outdoors" "This is Indoors" even though the shot (was outdoors) was mysteriously lit by nothing if you zoomed out the lighting is what grabbed me the most on that and could work fantastically for an indoor area.

The peach/gold purples and blues had super clear definition of shapes and the area, whereas the new ones while good I think it might be a little too dominated by purple hues and things feel less high-tech and intact and more in ruins. It could work as a basement like area, a secret almost religious chamber at the bottom of the structure with an item near by. But otherwise it feels just like the outdoors.

I know it's getting close to the deadline but I also really liked your platforms being held by high tech statues and it would be cool to see some of that in one of your final design shots.
  • Kromus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The outside is SO much better now. Like really, well done there. Those archways look great and you've clearly put some thought and time into this.

I like the asymmetry of the outside shot.

Inside is looking good too, though as FireBorn says to see some of those hightech pillar holders up close would be nice, I can see them on the outside shot but they're low detail/far away so doesn't really do them justice, but this late in I can appreciate you might just want to spend the rest of your time tweaking the colors and finalizing a few parts.

This has the makings for a brilliant piece.
  • CriAnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final:
    d73fe784c8aa.jpg

FirebornForm,Kromus thanks for feedback and advices! Wish you good luck!;)