Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Understanding human anatomy

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Crazy_pixel interpolator
Hi everyone,

I want to expand my anatomy skills, because sometimes I have no idea what I'm doing during the modeling and sculpting process :D
Often the anatomy of the face is very hard to understand, espesially the cheek area is a little bit tricky for me.

Sooo I want to build first a reduced version of a human skeleton to see how the volumes are working. After that I will build on top of this skeleton a clean human basemesh and the final version will be a detailed version. I think, I will make a female body too.

I appreciate comments and also critiques :)
This is not a "help me!!!!" thread :D I see it more as a diary for myself to learn new skills.

Ok let's get started with the skull, I made a modeling sheet from Bammes images

skull_modeling_sheet.jpg

Replies

• Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Here is my skull. I keep it simple because the shape is enough for my further work :)

skull_WIP.jpg
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abidus polycounter lvl 10
    Good luck! Doing something similar myself. Don't know if you already have it but I've found this link to be a good resource so far.

https://www.anatomy4sculptors.com/
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome, great start! Too often people get caught up in the details, especially with something as seemingly familiar as a human skull, so it's pretty swell you were able to stick just to the structure/form.
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    @Abidus:
    Oooh, I don't know this site o.O
    What a huge quantity of references, thanks for sharing :thumbup:

@Shiniku:
    Thanks Dude, I know this problems with tiny details from past projects, but this don't help me to understand the important shapes :D
    Maybe this is the problem of sculpting tools, that some people want to model all details in one object.

O.K. my next step will be the Ribcage, Scapulas and Clavicles.
  • Supremacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Supremacey polycounter lvl 4
    I really like the proportions of your skull. Did you make the shot from orthographic or perspective view? Can't wait to see the scapulas, they are a bit tricky in their shape. Keep on this thread rolling :)!
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Thx Supremacey I made the shots from perspective, but I'm make my modeling work in orthographic view.

Next Update ... very low modeling :D

upper_body_WIP.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Pretty ! Good choice doing this in lowpoly. Very clean and very clear. Nothing to distract either.
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Thanks PyrZern :)
    I don't need a very detailed skeleton. Keep it clean, keep it simple :D
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    and again :poly124:

upper_body_02_WIP.jpg

Lets get started with the legs ....
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    My skeleton is finish ...
    skeleton_complete.jpg

Let's start with the complex stuff, a full human model :)
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    I started with the blockout of the proportions and I have my skeleton on a separate layer. I must say that this little bastard helps me a lot to see tricky shapes :D

male_WIP_01.jpg
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Very clever method of undertaking anatomy studies. Very clever.

If you get into the sculpting side of things, look at Scott Eaton's line of work. Fantastic tutorials.
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Thx for the tip Stirls :thumbup: I will take a look.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work so far. Makes me want to update my placeholder skeleton.
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Thanks Psyk0
    I can say that a skeleton under a mesh is a very good way to build up a solid base for a realistic character.

Here is the body so far, I'm working now on the Head :)
    male_WIP_05.jpg
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    I think my male basemesh is done :smokin:
    The Polygon count is round about 9300 Tris (including the eyes)

male_WIP_06.jpg

Next will be a little sculpting work to define a few muscles makinf skin folds etc to make it look more natural and realistic.
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Hi :)

Currently I am working on the upper body, the names of the muscles sounds very crazy ... Sternocleidomastoideus could be a freaking superhero :D

I made a few versions befor this image
    male_WIP_07.jpg
    But I was not happy with my results. I had big problems to understand the flow of the musculus obliquus externus and on which way he is connected to the rectus abdominis.

Critiques are welcome :thumbup:
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Generally the body has a very slight taper to the top. That's usually due to the latissimus dorsi, which can get quite large. What's your reference? He seems pretty skewed vertically in the front. Think about bringing the pecs down, or the abs. Something's throwing me off, there. It might be the actuat height at which you've placed the ribs in your sculpt. If you look to the basemesh, the ribs appear lower, not so high as you've sculpted.

I also can't stress it enough that you do a couple of these. Each time you'll become more and more proficient with the human body. I've sketched/sculpted a handful and it's already becoming very clear where and why each muscle/tendon acts like it does.

Big ups on your basemesh. Really solid.

AndorKollar_MaleBody8.jpg
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Thx Stirls

What do you mean with the slightly tapper to the top? You are right, I make the latissimus dorsi too short :/ But I will fix it.
    And the problem with the ribcage ...
    I will fix that too. Next time I will take a closer look at the bones :D
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    Might just be because the rest of the muscles aren't done, but isn't the oblique a bit too high towards the back area?

Trapezius angle seems a bit flat as well.

Great progess though! I'm learning anatomy and the female form myself right now, it's really annoying at times, but hang in there :D
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    hey, even for a male your ribcage is way too big.
    also if you have a skeleton underneath, you should use it.
    muscles dont spring out of nothing, they are attached to your bones.
    your sculpt looks like you just drew ontop of your basemesh in total disreagard of the skeleton.
    for example at the central symmetry line of your pectoralis there is nothing but skin ontop of the ribcage, so your basemesh should be almost exactly where your actual ribcage mesh is.
    the same basically goes for all muscles, their shape should point in a direction so that if you continue that line, you should end up at the point where they attach to the bone.

well anyway, keep practicing.
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Whoops, my ribcage is too big? shit :D:D

O.K. I will use the skeleton, and thx for the FB site, it's very helpful :thumbup:
  • Sunn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunn polycounter lvl 4
    I really like your work Crazy_pixel. You say you are learning anatomy, you have a very good grasp on it so far. May I ask you a few questions?

- Do you have any formal artistic training, are you self taught?
    - How long have you been using zbrush, and how long would you say its taken you to get to this level of accomplishment in digital sculpting?

Thanks and keep your awesome work coming!
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Thanks Sunn for your kind words :)

I am not learning anatomy from 0 :D It's more an improvement of my current level of skill.

Yes I have a formal training (2 years) in 3d Game Art, but I play even longer with 3d stuff and I am using Zbrush since 2007.

I think the quality of digital sculpting depends on the time you are willing to put in your projects. I must say that since my 3d education
    I like it to make more and better realistic models, because my teacher for character art has a very nice professional background and the accuracy of the human body was for him very important.

Ok next sculpting ...
    male_WIP_08.jpg
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's quite strange to see the 4 abs right below chest muscle.

http://exercisesandworkout.com/images/abs%20muscles.JPG

The top 2 packs may not be as pronounce on some people (some missing them entirely) but there should still be some space before the 4 packs start.
  • Sunn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunn polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the reply, and now if someone could just teach me how to finish a project that I start, I might one day be able to post my work here :P
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Good Morning :poly124:

Sunn It's not difficult to finish a project, just go the whole way to the end and then make a postmortem to analyse what could be better and what was crap :D

@DireWolf
    I will bring some space between the muscle groups, thx for the advice :thumbup:

My next update...
    male_WIP_09.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Maybe an unpopular opinion here but:

Rather than trying to sculpt all the muscle groups using this basemesh, why don't you try and actually make each muscle as a separate dynameshed subtool? Once you've done that, you'll have a profound understanding of insertion and origin points for muscles, you'll have an easier time placing them on basemeshes, and understanding how/why the skin wraps or stretches over particular points.

Not saying the work you've done already is bad, i'm just saying it can be pushed further. I understand that attempting to sculpt every muscle of the body individually can seem like a daunting prospect, so instead focus on breaking it down into sections... How the upper arm connects to the torso, how the neck muscles join the head to the chest etc.
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Hey almighty_gir

This was my first thought too :D I will try it, I take my upper body and give him muscles, thx for this inspiration :thumbup:
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    My first progress with seperate muscles.

male_WIP_10.jpg
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Hello 10-pack! Hahaha. Think of bringing your pecs down a bit, perhaps to around half-way of the top ab. They appear a bit small right now, vertically. A tad squashed. Definitely a big improvement from last time, almighty_gir's suggestion really worked.
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    That looks a lot better indeed :D
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Just posted up my anatomy ecorche's from Scott Eaton's class.

http://www.jacquechoi.com/Misc.html

Sternocleidomastoid is a very simple muscle to remember.

Sterno - Cleido - Mastoid

Sterno for Sternum
    Cleido for Clavicle
    Mastoid for Mastoid Process of the skull

It's a muscle that originates at the Mastoid Process of the skull (bone protrusion under the ear):
    250px-Processusmastoideusossistemporalis.PNG

Then connects down and forks off to the Sternum, and the Clavicle.
    shoulder_stclav_anatomy01.jpg

Sternocleidomastoid:
    24378W.jpg
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Very nice stuff thx JacqueChoi:)
    I see that my Sternocleidomastoid must get a better definition :thumbup:

I played with the muscles of the arm. I made only one muscle per flexor and extensor group because ist was easier for me to learn it.
    male_WIP_11.jpg
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Scapula should expand a little further down, giving Infraspinatus and Teres Major a little more room. That space is looking real tiny right now while the Latissimus Dorsi is looking real huge.

Trapezius muscle doesn't expand side way down the triangular part, it should all concentrate up to that corner of the Scapula.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    The skeletal parts you need to know to create the forearms:

Olecranon (Elbow)
    Medial Epicondyle, and Lateral Epicondyle) (the 2 bumps at either sides of the elbow)
    anat11a.gif

The Olecrenon, traces along the Ulna Furrow (the bone you feel on the underside of your forearm), and ends at the Styloid Process of the Ulna (that big bony protrusion you feel at the pinky side of your wrist).

Here the Ulna furrow is labeled 'Crest of the Ulna'.
    And 'Styloid' Process of the Ulna, is labelled Head of the Ulna.
    shannen+complete.jpg

It's important to know these bony landmarks, because.. all of the Flexors ORIGINATE at the Medial Epicondyle, and the Extensors ORIGINATE from the Lateral Epicondyle.

The Ulna furrow is what separates the Extensors from the Flexors.

You can see and feel all those bony protrusions on the surface.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    I reckon the chest is now spot-on. In a sea of (fantastic) critiques, it's always good to get compliments every once in a while. Really nice work. You're developing quickly.
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Great project and to do the muscle pieces individually looks like a great way to get around to get a hang of it. So nice progress.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Actually the chest is still off.

Wrote a post about pec construction a while ago in another thread:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1946653&postcount=54
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Oh man, this is a huge bunch of details for the forearm, thx a lot JacqueChoi :thumbup:

Stirls
    Thanks man :) I try to implement the helpful and good critiques, and I am glad to hear that you appreciate my progress.

DireWolf
    You are right, let's see what I can do :poly124:

Nuclear Angel
    Thx :) This way helps me a lot and it is highly recommended.

The next update will be coming soon.:thumbup:
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    next little update ...

I am working on the legs and in my opinion this is the hardest part (besides the face) of the body. Sooo much muscles :poly142:

male_WIP_12_01.jpg
    male_WIP_12_02.jpg
  • limeforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    limeforce polycounter lvl 7
    Excited to see this! I'm just a noob and have not done any 3d-sculpting whatsoever yet, but I'm looking forward to doing a detailed anatomy study with individual muscles. We will see when will I feel proficient enough to undertake such a huge project, but it would definitely be useful to refresh the anatomy knowledge I got from a one-year sports masseuse training! ^^ And doing this leaves you with a funky skeleton model that you can use in side projects (just get him running around in an engine in a weird environment and call it a Halloween game :P).
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    thanks limeforce

I could give him a scythe and let him taking souls :D
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    next muscles ... the lower leg

male_WIP_13_01.jpg
    male_WIP_13_02.jpg
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Based on my new knowledge, I made a new version of my male.

male_WIP_14_01.jpg
    male_WIP_14_02.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    not looking too bad at all man. but now you need to think about fat deposits and how skin stretches over muscle =]

i'm not saying your anatomy is perfect right now, but it's a huge improvement. if you do a few more of these and go into a bit more detail each time, you'll be awesome in no time.
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Thx almighty_gir :) Making mor of this guys was my plan :thumbup: The idea with the fat deposits is not bad, let's see what I can do.
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    My latest anatomy sculpting, the creation of fat and overlaping skin is tricky :D but I think, I become better with every sculpting.

male_WIP_16_01.jpg
    male_WIP_16_02.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you need to double check the insertion points for the deltoid on the back, the tricep/deltoid area looks very wrong.