Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC - Terraforming Outpost

I really shouldnt be doing this, giving myself more work to do when I havent completed my other theme? Perhaps I'm just too inspired by UT.

I may, or may not be able to finish this as I took a break from my mystic castles I just started throwing down black and white blobs till I formed this out of it. I would have stopped earlier, could have, probably should have. But took it a little further.

So here's another theme from me. I imagine it very much almost in the same vein as Phobos.

I started out with just exploring more foreground elements because my mystic castles has no foreground to speak of. Too bad I saved over the older versions.

It was originally just some "alien planet" and a more high tech/deralict route. Having the main focus be the structure. and the weapon underneath (probably a shock riffle in my head) One of the general themes UT has for shape structure is blending what seems to be old iconic ancient ruins like structures with tech so I went that way.

I dumped the structure into a swamp with rocks, having the only tech around being what's in the foreground and the back towers. I wanted to give a sense that this thing sticks out like a sore thumb.

Playing with the idea of underwater tunnel systems in it. UT had water sections, teleporters floating fields you name it!

4TScPfE.jpg

Adding a sense of power with blasting light, really want this tech thing to be out of place from the environment. As if they just jammed it into the landscape and made it work.

JxpxcAL.jpg

So many space scenes are generally with giant planets behind, for instant iconic sci-fi awesomeness. However I wanted to opt for something different and instead of seeing a planet, you get to see you're basically in an asteroid field with planetary rings way out in the distance (the planet would be behind you). Again I opted for weird-colors for the rings because I want this place to feel foreign and way out in unkown space.

QWS7oAT.jpg
UvvDXe0.jpg

Changing the cliff to the left into a giant asteroid, and committing to the fact this is in space. I thought several small asteroids and one giant one would compliment each other.

lhY55Wr.jpg

Then pushing back the tiny towers into the background so they are huge skyscraper Morpheus like towers. Too bad this shot is about the gun in front and this weird platform not the towers ;)

w6olpaQ.jpg
mbJeVld.jpg

And thats all for now! The way I would imagine this theme currently would be constantly rotating the skydome in all directions because you are on an asteroid so good luck having a stationary view.

So why is there water in space? Well it's alien tech, so it's terraforming! Notice the subtle atmosphere fog. Or maybe the base is on a very small moon. I imagined it having many pockets to go on the inside, either "man made" tunnels or natural gas chambers. Still a hostile and crappy to live on planetoid (would you look at that sickly "water"?) just not totally barren of nature. It's a work-in-progress terraform :poly142: