Home General Discussion

How to Handle Active Discouragement

Hello fellow Polycounters! I come to you today in search of guidance and support. I'm sure my problem is not unique and I'd like to hear whether any of you all have had similar experiences.

I've been working freelance for the past four years while putting myself financially through school. Now a graduate, for the past few months, I've been putting in dozens of applications to various studios all across the US with the hopes of a more permanent position.

My question is: how have you all handled discouragement from friends and family? I've been told I'm naive, hopelessly optimistic, and that I should focus on a more realistic career, rather than the concept design and illustration I do now.

Hearing from those who have segued into the industry, I'd like to hear how you managed this discouragement emotionally and how you kept yourself motivated to keep creating and ultimately finding your career.

For background, I am a concept design artist and illustrator with a primary focus on environments. Here is my website, if you would like to take a look:

http://www.davidloebman.com

Thanks so much for taking the time to read over this post! Your advice and personal experiences mean a lot.

Replies

• MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    Well, for starters, your portfolio links to a 404 error page. ;) (might want to fix that)
  • DLDigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha, no kidding! The one above should work, let me know if it's still not coming through for you.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I handled it by ignoring them and proving them wrong. I interned at an animation studio in High school, and when I graduated I was told it was time to go to college for a real career. Took one semester in Criminal Justice to pursue a career in Law enforcement, realized I didn't want to see the dark side of people all day for the next few decades, and dropped out to do art full-time. Made that decision 12 years ago and it's worked out pretty well for me.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    I love your work!

However I cannot help you much here im sorry.
  • DLDigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones wrote: »
    I handled it by ignoring them and proving them wrong.

That's been my mentality for awhile now and I'm sure they're frustrated with it, hahaha. I know they want what's 'safe' for me, but I don't know if they want what's 'best' for me.

Robeomega wrote: »
    I love your work!

Thanks so much, I'm glad you think so! Here's hoping a recruiter thinks likewise. :P
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Ignore it. Your work is pretty good and if you keep at it it will be very good. Artist constantly go through such scrutiny. There is a market for it and it is not a pipe dream, however you have to work your ass off. I really recommend look at this thread there is a lot of stories of struggle in this thread and they way most people get through it is don't stop working. Keep at it.

Also as a side note if you want you portfolio to improve a lot do some more anatomy studies and practice your material definition skills a bit.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Get a part time job or something in the mean time. Actively work on portfolio whenever you can.

(Effort != Skill) + Portfolio + networking = Job

You put time into illustrative/concept work and network on places such as here and you may well get the job you're looking for.

Everyone else telling you, you can't do something can sit on it as far as i'm concerned
  • Ex-Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    I remember when I was younger telling my dad I was going to study art and design and his reaction was of doubt as a career. It wasn't his fault his immediate reference point for a 'working artist' was fine artists, so I can understand his doubt. I had to tell him there are commercial artists and designers that have full time jobs and very real careers. Fortunately that did the trick and he supported me, even though nothing would have stopped me from pursuing this path.

Perhaps educate your friends and family to the artists and illustrators that you admire that have made it as a career and say this is where I want to be, let them know you are ambitious and have aspirations.
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    Kinda painful to hear it from them but just ignore it.

I'm constantly getting shit from my Mom, aunt, uncles, my best friends family too and even old friends of the family about how I need to waist a few years in collage until i can figure out what I want to do with my life even though Ive told them what I want to do they don't consider that a real or good career choice and try and tell me what I need to do with my life.

Every time they say "You're good with computers why not go to college for repairing computers or helping people over the phone that would pay a lot" And my response every time is "But thats not fun. Jobs like those pay good and are probably secure but they're boring as hell Whats a life worth living if you aren't enjoying it doing what you love.

Then they get pretty angry and we argue.

I was lucky enough to have some supportive like minded friends without them id have considered giving up.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I think you gotta do what you're passionate about but also be realistic about whether you are good enough to compete with those already out there. While your art is solid, I don't think it's quite up to par with other industry standard concept artists out there. That's not to say you won't get work as a concept artist, but it will be that much harder for you than other concept artists. Your use of color however is very good so this is a strength. Have you tried doing 3d? It seems if you could just teach yourself to model, you would probably excel at hand painted props or characters. If you want to stick with concept, start doing more game studio type concepts that deal with either character concepts with front back type treatments or env landscape studies that can be used for games. Basically choose what type of studio you want to work for and do concepts that fit their style perfectly. Your stuff is good enough though that you shouldn't let others deter you from pursuing a career in art. You are also still young so you have plenty of time to hone your craft and become a better artist. Remember that, for the most part, family is just looking out for you and just want what's best for you. They just might not know exactly what is best for you and that's up to you to decide. Stay strong!
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Creative jobs are one of the few jobs that can't be automated (yet?). There's a huge market for game designers and it's only going to grow. What would a "more realistic career" entail? There might be some uncertainty in the short term, but in the long run it seems a lot more stable than most jobs.

You've got good art, I'm sure you'll find something soon.:)

Also they're not great friends if they don't support what you're passionate about.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    If you're really dedicated then stick to it. period.

I grew up drawing constantly. dropped out of highschool because i would rather draw than finish my classes. never found work for it. apprenticed at a tattoo shop for a while, did a little bit of freelance illustration and graphic design work but nothing substantial enough to live on. By the time i was 22 i was married, had a kid and was DEEP into a string of shit jobs. jobs that i would sit and draw at every chance i got.
    i had pretty much given up on an art career. My mother was an artist who gave up her passion to get a regular stable job as a nurse so she could feed her kids. she also had little concept of what kind of opportunities were available for a commercial artist in today's job market. She wanted me to go into medecine. She knew me as an artist but the same fear that pushed her into her current field was getting projected onto my own future.

In the end it was my wife who pushed me into it. Its easy to say "ignore them" but it's a lot harder to do. Having just one person who supports what you're doing is a massive help. Without my wife I probably would have given up - joined the military or been an EMT or something. But i didn't. I took the risk made the plunge. In the end i was sending out 20-60 applications a month for nearly a year before i got a job. NETWORK! knowing somebody is the best way to get that art test or interview. Job fairs, GDC, Polycount. Be visible and be working. eventually you WILL get a job if you stick to it.

TL;DR:
    don't ignore discouragement - understand what it is. Most of them are just afraid for you because chasing your dreams is risky. But the risk is YOURS to take. and if you don't take it you will probably regret it for the rest of your life.
    if you can find just one voice that is positive cling to that person like yoda on luke's back.
    It's only risky if you give up or don't try. If you're working, getting better and meeting connected people you WILL get in. It may take 2 or 3 years, but it will happen.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    EmAr wrote: »
    This book can help too:

http://www.tedorland.com/artandfear/

Best of luck!

YES! Glad to see someone else recommend that book. I've posted it all over the place. Really a great book on being an artist and making it a career.
  • DLDigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I was not expecting this amount of feedback! Thank you all so much for opening up and sharing your experiences and advice, it means more than I can say. My immediate goal is always to improve an artist - the portfolio advice is definitely appreciated. In fact, I'm working on what you've advised right now! Also, I've just ordered the book you've shared, EmAr.

I recently attended a smaller convention in Richmond and have plans to travel to GenCon and IlluxCon to network and meet other artists. I'll need to figure out finances for the hotel, gas, and venue fees soon. >_< As for the applications, I'm sending them out at every opportunity - I've tallied 18 in the past 4 days and intend to keep working at it!

I'm still searching for that one voice of support, but you all have brought me yours! It's truly invaluable, I'll keep working at my dream, attending model sessions and workshops, and posting my work for others to see. I'll be sure to check back at this thread whenever I feel my heart begin to sink.

Again, thank you all so much - my chest got tighter reading all of your stories and comments.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Goood Lord, this is awesome !! I love this banner thing! I hope you don't mind if I Pin this and share it on FB.
    ?format=1500w

One thing I know, is that people and friends influence each other. And influence you too. I have most friends I've made in person on Facebook where I have many artist friends who do the things I do. I post up WIP and nice Renders and I get comments and critiques from artist friends and non-artist friends. I think they slowly fuse together and in the end everyone knows what I want to do. This includes friends from my ballroom place, from Macy's, from high school(they don't know what the heck I actually do, just that the images I post look cool to them. xD ).
  • mats effect
  • meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meshiah polycounter lvl 17
    re-frame it, they are scared you are doing something exiting,scary,important,interesting, and masking it as caring.
    and they are afraid you will surpass them. discouragement to me is good, it means your breaking away from the group think...you got this dude,

how bad do you want it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTFnmsCnr6g
  • Eyofin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually caved to the pressure of everyone else telling me to go for a "stable job." So now I'm a few months out of college with a bachelor's degree in chemistry, and I'm dreading the next few years of my life. Always go with your gut if it's telling you something's not right for you. I am learning that the hard way, haha.

I'd suggest avoiding the conversations about your future career with the people that discourage you. Change the topic or shrug things off before people can actively start giving their opinion. That's all it is in the end; a biased opinion that isn't worth much. Unless they've had actual experience with commercial art, value their opinions like you'd value the headlines on a Tabloid, and hopefully the discouragement won't get to you as much. That's my current method of dealing with things and it's working pretty well.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    you have to be a stubborn SOB and never give in. I am a stubborn SOB and am not intending to give in any time soon.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    fuck 'em

I, as well as everybody here, think your stuff is baller!
    traditional oils, never seen that before! very well done!

you mentioned that you have a primary focus on environments, but I can only see one building and two enviroment pieces :) a ton of characters :)
    (not that any of it is bad, I just feel it goes against what you say is your focus)
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Having been in a similar position, the only thing that will shut them up is when you actually start making money.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There will be casualties once you come out the other side and your getting paid to do what you love.
    You`ll find out pretty quickly who was actually concerned for your well-being and who just wanted you to fail because they were too scared to chase their own dreams down.
    There are those whom i love that i can no longer count among my friends because they cant mask their bitterness.

My Brother-in-law and i have been friends since highschool. He went to a film school and gave up after he didn't find a job 6 months after school. I told him to keep working. I told him to make youtube vids and pick up photography gigs. I offered to watch his kids in the evenings so he could have some time to work unmolested. But he gave up. Now hes a maintenance man at a youth camp with a massive student loan debt. And he resents me for it.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, I had a lot of people telling me to give up and do something more practical...until I started getting work and recognition, and then it went from "You can't do it" to "Thats so cool!"

Pretty much every single person who implied I couldn't do it...do not work in a field they enjoy or that is their passion. Sour grapes from failed or abandoned dreams.

Keep at it. While I will say, you should get a "regular" job to pay the bills in the mean time, dont give up on your practice. As others have said, you've got a little ways to go before you're quite up to par, but not as far as the naysayers would have you believe.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DLDigital wrote: »
    Hello fellow Polycounters! I come to you today in search of guidance and support. I'm sure my problem is not unique and I'd like to hear whether any of you all have had similar experiences.

I've been working freelance for the past four years while putting myself financially through school. Now a graduate, for the past few months, I've been putting in dozens of applications to various studios all across the US with the hopes of a more permanent position.

My question is: how have you all handled discouragement from friends and family? I've been told I'm naive, hopelessly optimistic, and that I should focus on a more realistic career, rather than the concept design and illustration I do now.

Hearing from those who have segued into the industry, I'd like to hear how you managed this discouragement emotionally and how you kept yourself motivated to keep creating and ultimately finding your career.

For background, I am a concept design artist and illustrator with a primary focus on environments. Here is my website, if you would like to take a look:

http://www.davidloebman.com

Thanks so much for taking the time to read over this post! Your advice and personal experiences mean a lot.

I'll be the Devil's advocate...

Reading between the lines, you've been doing freelance for years and going to school. Did you live at home that entire time and live off your parents, or did you pay all of your own bills and rent? Do you have a girlfriend who has supported you for years while you did freelance? Does freelance mean you made $100 a month or $5,000 a month?

If you've been supported for years by other people they eventually want to see you fly out of the nest. They may stop being nice about it if they see you aren't trying to support yourself. Four years is a long time.

Most people don't have the luxury of sitting at home and practicing their art. They have to go to jobs they don't enjoy or they will lose their house, car and possessions. Do you depend on them to provide shelter and food? It's normal for them to feel resentment if they think you are mooching off them.

If you haven't been borrowing from these people, then you can ignore their opinions. Art is definitely a viable career, and you have some real skills, so there is a real future in it for you.
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    EmAr wrote: »
    This book can help too:

http://www.tedorland.com/artandfear/

Best of luck!

Thanks for the link, will check this out too.
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Sometime i get this too - especially when it gets to money and salary.
    But on the other hand - not everyone sais it loud - but the most of them
    have a huge respect, that you follow your dreams and dont go with xy - iam on the save side and boring job.
    Stay healthy - be happy and then you will be automatically surrounded by success and people who admire you.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    The biggest thing I learned early on when joining this industry is that... No one outside will ever understand it, unless they too are in it. (or trying to get in it)
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    robert_downey_jr_quote-1.png

That's one big part of it. Realize that unless the person talking has some sort of tangible experience or knowledge on the matter they don't have much to say. Also realize that even if you do what they want they'll still be giving you bullshit advice so don't take it so hard.

But... think about the negative feedback you get, because there are real fears behind it. People close to you care (hopefully) enough to express their fears, even if they do it like dicks. Those fears might hide legitimate concerns about your future that you should take seriously.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Fuck the world, did you know it's possible to fail at an ordinary job? So why not try for that amazing career just the same.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So, here is a bit of my story and how it worked out. I went to Full Sail and graduated there in 2003. I lived in Florida and tried to break in to the industry for 4 years with no luck. I chalked it up to there not being much aside from EA and some other small companies. My wife and I decided to pack up and move out to Seattle because I thought there might be a better market out there. We lived out in Seattle for 3 years where I had no luck breaking in to the game industry (mainly because I was undisciplined and not very good). I really started busting my ass working on my portfolio and I finally scored a job in Virginia and have been working it for the past 4 years.

During all this, my family was supportive...at first. They wanted me to succeed because it was my career goal but also because I had massive student loans. As time went by and I was stuck working retail jobs to pay bills, they became less and less supportive. They started to wonder if I was going to go back to school and try for a different career. I went 7 years between school and getting my career. They were within their right to worry, as frustrating as it was for me at the time. When I finally got the job, all the criticism dried up. Keep pushing at it and work your ass off.
  • DLDigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everyone, thank you so so much for your stories, thoughts, and feelings on the matter. It sounds like this is a common challenge all of us face at one point in our lives, and discovering how you've all managed to cope with, learn from, understand, and appreciate the criticism coming from friends and family offers me new insight into the matter.
    RyanB wrote: »
    I'll be the Devil's advocate...

I'm actually quite proud of how I've managed my time and finances thus far. While at school, I worked two part-time jobs (three at one point!) and full-time over the Summer and Holidays. I applied to scholarships, studied hard, and spent my nights and weekends working on digital art and design, since my school didn't have a dedicated program. I even held a weekly 'class' to teach my classmates how to use Photoshop!

As of now, I have some amount of money saved up from work to support myself for a few months to pay for rent and student loans. I'll likely need to start looking into part-time jobs soon if I don't hear anything. I'm sure that will alleviate some degree of my family's worry. I'm just nervous how it will impact how much I am able to creatively produce and improve. Though, I suppose it is a life-long quest after all.

Thank you all again for your time and feedback – I'll be sure to keep giving it my very best!
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everyone, thank you so so much for your stories, thoughts, and feelings on the matter. It sounds like this is a common challenge all of us face at one point in our lives, and discovering how you've all managed to cope with, learn from, understand, and appreciate the criticism coming from friends and family offers me new insight into the matter.

I'm actually quite proud of how I've managed my time and finances thus far. While at school, I worked two part-time jobs (three at one point!) and full-time over the Summer and Holidays. I applied to scholarships, studied hard, and spent my nights and weekends working on digital art and design, since my school didn't have a dedicated program. I even held a weekly 'class' to teach my classmates how to use Photoshop!

As of now, I have some amount of money saved up from work to support myself for a few months to pay for rent and student loans. I'll likely need to start looking into part-time jobs soon if I don't hear anything. I'm sure that will alleviate some degree of my family's worry. I'm just nervous how it will impact how much I am able to creatively produce and improve. Though, I suppose it is a life-long quest after all.

Thank you all again for your time and feedback – I'll be sure to keep giving it my very best!

good on ya! i was just about to comment on the devil's advocate position along these same lines. If i can go to school and hold down a full time job with a wife and 2 kids and still get the art done while fighting off the urge to sit on my arse and play video games ANYBODY can pull it off.

Get any job that will pay you. get a roommate and a cheap crappy apartment if you have to. There are always enough hours in the day if you just accept that this is what you'll do with any bit of free time you can find.

having to bills is no reason to give up on your dreams. unless you're working 20 hours a day 7 days a week there's always time.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    LRoy wrote: »
    Having been in a similar position, the only thing that will shut them up is when you actually start making money.

This...

When yer rolling in it,
    b real petty with it!
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    The idea that a job can be enjoyable is threatening to people who hate their own career.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Muzz wrote: »
    The idea that a job can be enjoyable is threatening to people who hate their own career.

I don't think this is really the case. If you haven't been able to support yourself doing X then they're just giving you practical advice based on what they know. For most people that is not grinding at a niche skill until you are good enough to be employed.
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    I have to agree. The notion that "our" jobs are better than others and every perceived attack on our dreams has to come from a position of bitterness is a pretty arrogant one. It might be true in some cases, especially when the person in question had similar dreams and failed, but the majority of people don't really know or care about jobs in the game industry. Just looking at the cold, hard facts it's simply not a reasonable career path and we tend to substitute reasonable arguments with emotional ones.
    In my experience parents and extended family will stop to nag after you are earning enough money to support a family, have found a husband or wife and grandchildren are underway. And some simply never stop.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator

That's awesome, sounds like you're really driven and have a great attitude - I have no doubt you'll go far :) Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Muzz wrote: »

I think it's more that non-artists have a very negative perception of artists, and think we're all psycho working odd-jobs.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    I had same thing during college, where every weekend I had to deal with similar bullshit. After that came uni and it changed to the better... a bit... when I got my job and got paid, shit talk stopped. Work hard and live your dreams! :)
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    dfacto wrote: »
    robert_downey_jr_quote-1.png

That's one big part of it. Realize that unless the person talking has some sort of tangible experience or knowledge on the matter they don't have much to say. Also realize that even if you do what they want they'll still be giving you bullshit advice so don't take it so hard.

But... think about the negative feedback you get, because there are real fears behind it. People close to you care (hopefully) enough to express their fears, even if they do it like dicks. Those fears might hide legitimate concerns about your future that you should take seriously.

thanks for the image and this thread, i share the same thought as @DLDigital
  • DLDigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, I'm back with an update on how everything has been going these past several months. In short, I've had no interviews save for one unsuccessful UI art test. There is the worry that I am now beginning my way down a career path wholly unrelated to my passion of illustration - after many failed attempts to break in over the past year.

I continue to paint, develop, and learn new software whenever time allows, though I worry my timeframe for work is rapidly diminishing. New graduates will soon hit the market and the formal work experience I have to my name since then amounts to little interest to an art director. Perhaps I'm too naive to think I could break in with an art degree, experience in private commissions, independent projects, and contest recognition. As I understand, most companies prefer those with work experience in a professional setting and various specialized software masteries before even considering taking on a new artist. My worry is, as I develop experience and skills in an unrelated field (sales or otherwise), I become less relevant to a company's artist search. It's an ongoing worry, so I spend as much time as I am able better honing my skills and relevancy on new software, despite a frustrating year and hundreds upon hundreds of rejections.

I don't mean to sound entitled, I put my face to the grind-stone every day to make this work out. I've work(ed) three part-time jobs since this original posting and relocated in order to make ends meet while still looking for creative work. I'm just not seeing any real return on my time investment and it's heart-breaking. Do I drop everything, move to CA, WA, or TX, and live in my car as a QA tester so I can just get my face in front of somebody? No offense to any QA testers out there, hahah. I suppose I'm just feeling desperate at this point. I've been presented with an opportunity to work as a traveling auto-parts salesman, 70% travel, low pay, and little to no benefits.

I don't know how to handle this situation, so I come to you all for guidance. Thank you all so much for reading this wall of text and taking the time to respond, it really means more than I can say.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    This isn't really being a shoulder to cry on, sorry in advance (after reading this again it seems a little harsh after reading about your difficult situation).

I feel like this has more to do with your 'folio than it does your qualifications, man. Contest experience, small hobbyist projects, indie projects, personal IPs and whatever are more than enough, you don't need like 9 AAA projects on your resume to get hired. It's more about the art...
    Which, unfortunately, does need to look AAA level before one of those studios even considers you.

And I hate to say it, but you have a lot of dud pieces on your portfolio right now. Some just seem really old (dude, 2012?), some have sort of dodgy designs (sorry). Not to mention having so many subsections but defaulting to one of them really hurts you-- I've visited your folio a few times now and only just realized you have a concept art tab. So yeah, I hate to say it but I doubt it's your experience section that's causing the lack of response.

When it comes to your illustrations, the material definition is pretty weak, the painting is messy (or more aptly, you need to work on your line economy, lots of places where one big brush would have done a better job than the 15 small strokes you made). The story these first three pictures of ladies tell are not particularly striking. You have an elf doing magic while looking off to the left, a mage girl doing magic things while looking into the camera, and an... angel?

That last one is almost interesting, but there just isn't enough context-- is she anxious? Is that why she's holding the cloth so tightly? Is she having an internal struggle of some kind where she's hesitant to leave but wants to? Needs to? I don't know any of this because you raise the questions but leave them hanging, her body language is static and her facial expression is empty. It also shows a huge lack of understanding of folds here.

The witch girl is the most polished and well thought out as a nice pretty piece of art, but the design is a bit questionable (not the scantily clad aspect, but just the overall... design language, I don't feel like I know what are you going for here), her face is nice but the rest of the skin showing is inconsistently rendered and overall I'm not entirely sure at what I'm supposed to be looking at here.

I see a reliance of photoshop techniques and effects where your experience and traditional oils implies you shouldn't really need them (in the way you're using them). And last of all-- I can't tell for the life of me what your focus is.

Concept artist? Illustrator? What's your strength? Are you good at designing characters? Interesting environments to play in? How does what you design work in-game? How is it applicable? How can the specific studio you're applying for use what you have? I don't see near anything that makes me think, yeah, that's a strong design AND I can see how we'd use it. The best things are the Shrine Concept, and the Tavern. But a lot of your other pieces don't really work as a polished illustration nor a good concept/design to work with.

You need to keep working on your 2D art, stay focused on that (even if you need to get an unrelated job to support yourself while doing so). But work smarter. Figure out your weaknesses.

I'd suggest doing some cutting. Look at your pieces seriously, with a critical eye. Additionally, condense some pages, or just change your layout so you have a landing page with 4 icons that are easy to understand/titled -- Concept Art, Illust, Traditional, Graphic Design. Just so anyone can see what you have to offer up front, without seeing just your illustrations and clicking away without noticing the rest.

Other things you might want to have on your todo list include but are not limited to:
    - Do some more studies. Gesture and figure drawing are both fun and always helpful.
    http://artists.pixelovely.com/
    http://www.floobynooby.com/pdfs/gesturedrawingforanimation.pdf

- Check out how other people approach things (Tutorials, tips, speedpaints, etc)
    http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Concept_Fundamentals

- Check out more art from other people. Check out professional art-- compare your art and techniques if you feel like you can take it, but otherwise just get a nice big "this is where I'd like to be" inspiration folder going. :thumbup:
    https://www.artstation.com/
    www.creativeuncut.com
    http://conceptartworld.com/
    Right here, in our own 2D section!

By the way, 2D is hard as shit and competitive. So it's probably not just you here-- there's a whole lot of other elements at play that might lead to you not getting contacted or hired. So don't feel too bad.

Rest assured no one will look at your previous experience list and go "Oh, the last year and a half he's spent in sales. Well, his art's incredible but we can't possibly hire him now"! The art is where it's at. Try to get some actual experience in with some smaller teams or even just collabs with other artists (maybe 3D artists, writers or people with projects that need some more art help), but if your art is good enough, they have a use for it, and you don't come across as a dick, that's the main concern. :poly142:

Good luck out there, man. Sorry, this turned out big and a little brutal, but I hope it's not too much. I'd like to see you go somewhere with this.

Side note, where are you applying? Everywhere, just the local area, only specific studios, only games jobs? Can you relocate again? Do you have any specific kind of project you'd love to work on? Just interested.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't mean to sound entitled, I put my face to the grind-stone every day to make this work out.

The dates on your latest work, on both your blog and portfolio, are from August 2014. That's six months. Where is the evidence of "nose to the grind-stone"?

You need to learn to work independently. That will provide you an income from your work, improve your portfolio and prove to employers that you can produce.

The alternative is to do things at your own pace or work on prototypes or teach yourself new skills. Nothing wrong with that, just don't expect to get any kind of job.

P.S. - The best concept artist I've worked with used an ancient version of Photoshop with two brushes: hard round and hard square. That's it. He could pick up any paint package and produce the exact same quality in minutes.
  • DLDigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both so so very much for your insight, advice, and perspective. Neither of you were harsh at all, they were all things that I needed to hear.

BagelHero, those links are incredible and useful, as were your critiques. They open my eyes on what to look out for when creating - I'll be doing some intense practice and reading as well. After the NDA expires on some commission work I've been doing, I will definitely update my portfolio with more polished pieces. The notion of a landing page is a great idea, I will be modifying that website in the coming days. To answer your question, I initially began to apply to game and mobile companies but have since expanded my search to graphic design and marketing to bring as many relevant jobs to the table as possible. I am open to relocation - I live in the Washington DC area. I thoroughly love to work on games and fantasy titles, I am currently involved in an independent fantasy creature and character card illustration project for use alongside D&D and Pathfinder that I found through Kickstarter.

RyanB, you are totally 100% correct. I have not nearly taken enough time managing my online presence to showcase the progress and developments I have made. I should make it an evening ritual to post my work, or I could unload everything I've been doing these past 6 months at once. I always try to tread carefully when sharing client's work though..

After talking with you guys, I feel a lot more comfortable with the notion of an unrelated 9-5, so long that I am always creating, learning, collaborating, and showing. Thanks again so incredibly much.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Ya, just ignore them and keep pushing forward. Do what you want. Not what others want.

Also, just a bit of feedback on your portfolio. I think if you`re looking for a concept artist job, you need more work. More variety. You've got some great stuff, but it's mostly characters. I think you really need to add some more location/scenery type of shots, as well as more prop art. Think of all the things that are in games. Weapons, armour, buildings, locations. You have a BIT of that, but personally, I don't think you have enough to really show your creativity. Your skill shows. but not necessarily your creativity, if that makes sense? Employers and recruiters need to see you`ll be able to handle variety between games. I mean, I`m not a concept artist, but if I were to be hiring one, that's what I would want to see. I could be wrong though.

And your website, I feel is poorly designed. It actually took me a bit to realize there was more than one page. I scrolled down to see your art, and thought all your work was only the illustration page. Thinking this can't be it, can it? Eventually scrolling up again I saw the other pages. You might want to consider combining illustration and concept art, since they`re basically the same thing. And put links under your name. Not above it.

Just my two cents.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well, to be short, i'd just say, keep in mind, that when you get such comments, take into account, who is actually the person who's saying that? Is it some experienced artist in this field? Does what he/she says, actually have objective sense?

I'd say, while you do have to always have open mind for critic and stuff, at the end of the day, you know yourself better then any of them, and you most probably know this field (like, concept art) better than any of them.

If it does sound like what they say, has some logic behind it, that doesn't mean you should quit right aways. Go talk to people who actually have experience in this field and can tell you how are things from first hand.

Then if that is actually the case, see what can you do to overcome it.

So in short, you know yourself better then others knows you, so if you do proper research of the topic in question (pro concept art career) and you decide that it' the right thing for you, how can someone who doesn't have almost any info on this subject, really know it better than you?

That doesn't mean you should completely ignore them, take it as a critic.....you always have to listen to critic, but at the end of the day, you are the one making art, you are the one making choice, so while listening people is good, you can't have them make choices for you. It's you.

Not much of a help, i know, but i did have similar problem, friends and relatives talking about how i should just drop this all.
  • KeirKieran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeirKieran polycounter lvl 3
    Finding other artists to hang with is a big help but that's really hard when you don't already have the connections. I have one irl artist friend and that's it.

You can't pick your family (well I kinda do but most people don't) so you're a little stuck dealing with family who put down your chosen career, but why are you willingly hanging out with "friends" who tear you down? My career sucks and I don't get the shit you do. If they're making you feel bad, they're not friends. Ditch them. Better hanging out on online forums at home than being around people that aren't good for you.

With all the support groups and what not, you'd think it would be easy to find casual artist groups for irl support but there're hard to come by.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Hey, any time. Here's another link to take with you for good luck, can't believe I forgot it.
    https://www.pinterest.com/characterdesigh/

Hope you can update your site soon, that NDA stuff is a little inconvenient but I can relate. The card game gig seems like a pretty decent gig, right up your alley by the sounds of it. I hope you can create some works through it that you can show!

Washington DC isn't too bad of a place, by the looks of it, you're in the US and open to relocation so that doesn't put you in the worst spot. I wouldn't recommend relocating in advance of a job offer, though. Just putting that out there.

Maintaining an online presence of some kind is definitely a great idea, both for personal progress and allowing others to keep a tab on you.

For me, personally, I find showing my stuff daily to be quite draining and frustrating/demotivating if I can't create sometimes for whatever reasons. A weekly or monthly update is much more realistic for me. Still, do some thinking and try to come up with a schedule and posting habits that work for you-- a sketchbook or 2D section thread here and updating it for crits/feedback once a week? Posting to an art site and your blog once a month? At least once every three months? Whatever's comfortable, as long as you can keep it up, you know? If you're consistent and it's clear you're always creating, you're good.

I think dumping everything you've been doing and then keeping everything up to date from there is better than drip-feeding older work (unless you're already prolific). Again, though, whatever works and keeps you posting. You could always mix it up.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    How to Handle Active Discouragement

I think its really important to get discouraged otherwise there would be no learning.

Yeah looking at your folio I would say the art is not very strong yet. That doesnt mean you wont succeed but it will make things tougher. The higher your quality the easier it will be to find a position as has been said. For mainstream your work is missing a lot atm. There are some amazing courses (even free ones) available on conceptart.org. If I were you I would concentrate on sketching structures, anatomy, gestures and life drawing. I miss solid volume in your pieces. There is nothing wrong with having your own style and you could keep on making the same work and still make it, just that the field is really narrowed by trying to sell something so specific. If you can inject more general appeal into the folio I am sure that will help.

Good luck.