Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC- Freefall

I based the concept on a few levels with skyscraper themes that appeared pretty much trough all the UT series.I think that the UT fast paced gameplay
together with the constant chance that you might fall or be pushed over an edge by someone and losing a precious frag make for some quite intense matches.
What i share is an unfinished concept art, my first try actually at making a concept art at all. :D So hopefully you'll give me some useful feedback on it.I'll update on it the moment i have something finished.

8f63c9.jpg

unfinished composition

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/687x972q90/540/7ea6eb.jpg

Replies

• Rexy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The result after some more work on the concept .
  • Rexy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changes and corrections to the base concept, this one shows my idea for the atmosphere and feel of the map.My next concept will show more detiled look on the level itself.

rhusAbM.jpg?1
  • Rexy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another look on the concept in the form of a quick sketch, hopefully i'll have it finished by tomorrow

803uiyS.jpg
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's hard to keep up on giving feedback to everyone but even though people are tending to do ultra zoomed out areas of their themes I don't think that's nearly as helpful as a closer shot. I get why people do zoomed out areas (to establish the space) but a pretty skybox should come secondary.

That said, your new shot is closer and therefor more helpful to figuring out how to move through space in it. Old shot was too "2D flat" and it looked like something out of a sidescrolling platformer, the only "playable space" I can see is where the guy is standing.

So all and all good progress, I would definitely say push yourself to make sure you get the new one done by the deadline because it's much better as a concept art for a theme in a FPS.

Showing the Deck 15 building so far away and huge just makes me want to see more of that area from another shot, going on the inside and outside on death drops like a bigger industrial version of Peak.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYVrLTZ_Uw8"]Unreal Tournament 99 beta - DM-Peak - YouTube[/ame]
  • Rexy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for the feedback, since i dont have a lot of experience with this kind of work, such feedback is very useful. :)
  • wez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wez
    It's hard to keep up on giving feedback to everyone but even though people are tending to do ultra zoomed out areas of their themes I don't think that's nearly as helpful as a closer shot. I get why people do zoomed out areas (to establish the space) but a pretty skybox should come secondary.

That said, your new shot is closer and therefor more helpful to figuring out how to move through space in it. Old shot was too "2D flat" and it looked like something out of a sidescrolling platformer, the only "playable space" I can see is where the guy is standing.

So all and all good progress, I would definitely say push yourself to make sure you get the new one done by the deadline because it's much better as a concept art for a theme in a FPS.

Showing the Deck 15 building so far away and huge just makes me want to see more of that area from another shot, going on the inside and outside on death drops like a bigger industrial version of Peak.

Unreal Tournament 99 beta - DM-Peak - YouTube

A lot of people are doing far away shots because I think the contest is more for theme development not level design :), they have pros for that we just have to give awesome ideas for art direction.
  • Rexy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately i don't have enough time for more work on the concepts( i'll be leaving town) so this will be it for now.

wuKZWE6.jpg