Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

American Horror Story - Kit Walker WIP

air
air
Hello everyone! Here is the character I've been working on, Kit Walker (Evan Peters) from the TV show American Horror Story.

References:
0RqhrxL.jpg
OUqhrjf.jpgzrHgDNK.pngkCo6a0l.jpg

Here's what I have so far:
6Lo6835.pngu5hvlbW.png

The head and hands are separate subtools atm, and I'm assuming it's not too hard to combine them to the body later. I plan on using hair planes, so the current hair is temporary. I'll also be using substance designer/painter for the textures, the polypaint was just for fun. I've never made a zbrush character before, or used substance designer/painter so this project will be a learning experience for me. Any feedback on it will be appreciated.

Replies

• air
    Update:
    JJVPVT1.png
    and a closer view of the face
    bINXBNb.png
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    nice work so far. he looks very cartoony because the proportions of the body are very far off from that of a realistic human male. I think a better way to approach this is to take your time working on an anatomical nude version of the guy first, then make the clothes on top once your anatomy is looking very solid.
    Face looks pretty good, although the jaw is pushed way forward bringing the lower lip and chin too far out. get some references from the side view especially.
  • JordanLeigh
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanLeigh polycounter lvl 9
    Yes! I love this character!

I agree with Brad though, think he looks cartoony at the moment, and yes focus on the anatomy first, get it nailed then move onto the clothing.

A lot needs refining in the face, it looks muddy at the moment, lower the sub level and focus on structure and form.

Keep at it though, I really want to see this turn out well! Best of luck!
  • air
    Hey Brad & Jordan

I went back to the body and tried to fix some of the anatomy problems. I'll keep refining it as I learn more about anatomy. I also found a side view for the face and added it to the references.

I moved around some of the proportions of the face, but next time I'll be refining it more.

Thanks guys!

Update:
    l45qkZh.png
    with clothes moved
    qhn7Lpz.png
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Its looking a lot better already man.

When it comes to anatomy, try and think of this. 1 extra inch of size is a huge difference. Meaning subtle things will really make a big difference in the look and how real this guy appears. From the 3 quaters view I can see this massive buldge on the forarm. Imagine if your arm was like that. You would be a freak. Try and keep this in mind when sculpting. This actor is very thin and has very little muscle mass. You mearly want to hint at the muscles with him. Keep it up though, its getting way better.
  • air
    Thanks Brad!

I toned down the bulging arms a little and I'll keep working on trying to make them more realistic.

Update:
    uvb5hCX.png
    CqbLTZb.png

Next update I'll probably be starting on the shoes and fixing some more face & body stuff. I'll be gone for the rest of this week, so that will get done next week. I'll bring an anatomy book with me and look over that when I have any spare time.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    cool man. Yea, just take your time with this. I can see the forearms are still really big. I mean, look at the silhouette of your own forearm. Its practically straight there. One problem you might run into is if you are using anatomical references where its just the muscle and you aren't seeing the skin and fat on top. The skin and fat smooths things out considerably and in some cases totally changes the look you would expect. You might want to get some 3dsk images pick a body type similar to your character and make it exactly like that. You're going to need reference from all angles like you get at 3dsk, especially because you are still learning the basics.
  • air
    Thanks for the website Brad! It really helped me with the arms. They still need work but I think I'm getting on the right track.

Update:
    ATivFOo.png
    TqdxqIA.png
    VyACND5.png

I'm not really liking what I have for the shoes, so I might redo them or try making them in maya. I used spotlight on the face to get an idea of what it might look like when it's done, but that's not what the finished texture will be. I also merged the hand subtool with the body and dynameshed them together.
  • air
    Update:
    LUf5Dtn.png
    BIikyBH.png

I decided to smooth out my current shoes and try again. I'm still not 100% satisfied with these, so I might come back to them later. Next time I work on this I'll be refining all of the clothes and maybe put stitch alphas on them like I did on the shoes.
  • air
    Update:
    cgURbnV.png
    PYj1SHc.png

Yep, it's another shoe post. I started working on the clothes for a little, but ended up making new shoes in maya. I think these ones look more "real" from far away.

Next time I might retop the face/body. I'm thinking I'll have to redo the lips at the end anyway because they'll be opened a little and I sculpted them closed, so I might as well do that now (it probably won't be final topology).
  • air
    Update:
    ru4gedQ.png
    lbYneGU.png

I started retopologizing the high poly face/body with quad draw. I pretty much used dynamesh for everything so I'm hoping this will make it easier to keep details on the face.
  • air
    Update:
    sYzmgN4.png

I didn't like how that was turning out so I used zremesher and added the mouth in maya instead of using quad draw. I ended up having to get more ram to prevent zbrush from crashing (only had 4gb...) I might try making the teeth next.
  • air
    Update:
    D49JdPh.png

There's a gap in the teeth because the subtools kept connecting in the middle, but I'll merge them all for the low poly.
  • air
    It's been a while, Season 4 of American Horror Story reminded me that I never finished this :(. I made a few changes to the face, I think I'm ready to add the fine details to it now.

I also made the low poly models for the pants, undershirt & arms. I probably wont delete the back of the undershirt even though it'll be covered because that might make it weird to rig/animate. I put the pants in a default ue4 scene with a normal map just to test it. I'll have to learn to light stuff in it later.

Update:
    jO26Onq.png
    FgsZTVk.png
    oa0NAVG.png
  • air
    I think I know what I have to do now. I'll use the low poly to make a new high poly that will be used for the normal map. This stuff really confuses me sometimes :).

Update:
    uwkku1M.png

Here's all the low poly stuff. The head, arms, undershirt, shirt, pants, and shoes are all separate things. The stuff I'll add to this later are hair, eyebrows, eyelashes, eye shading, eyes, teeth, buttons, and eyelets. I might extrude the inside of the pants down for feet in case the gap would show if the feet were animated. I'm not that experienced with animation, so I'm gonna try to animate this when I'm done just to see if everything works.