Home General Discussion

Student - I'm looking for a new PC and need some help!

Hi,
Ok well my old rig is getting kinda sluggish, so lately I was looking in to getting a new computer for my work and studies.
The programs I use are Maya, Photoshop, Mudbox, Zbrush, marmoset toolbag 2, Xnormal. I do not wish to play any hard core games on my system maybe just some Tf2 and Red orchestra.

The first option I was looking at was the Dell Precision T3610:

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-t3610-workstation/pd?oc=cap3610w7p0088t&model_id=precision-t3610-workstation

The second option was to build my own PC:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Box
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X OC GV-R927XOC-2G ( I never had a problem with AMD so I think I will just stay with there products)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-PRO
Hard Drive: 1TB 3.5inch Serial ATA (7.200 Rpm) Hard Drive
Ram: 16GB

I know I have allot of components missing but im only trying to give you guys an idea of what im aiming for.

So here are some questions I have:
1) Is there anything pre-built that has better specs than the Dell Precision T3610 (Pleas keep in mind that my bugget is below 3000$)?

2) Do I really need that Xeon CPU and a professional GPU for my studies ?

3) Is there any better configuration you guys can think of under 3000$?

4) Will the Dell Precision T3610 be able to support two 1080p (1920x1080) while delivering the same performance that it would supply on a single monitor?

5) Im not looking for a laptop because I really want to utilize two monitors, but if you guys know of any laptop that is really really great and worth it then pleas post it :)

Im sorry about all the questions this is the first time im building a PC for serious usage and not just gaming.

Thank you so much !
Sincerely,
Immanu'EL Segol

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Your always better off building your own, you don't need a professional work station gpu so I wouldn't go with that Dell.

No and no, but Xeons can save you money in certain situations if you aren't over clocking your CPU. For $1500+ you should be getting a 6 core cpu.

Yes, 6 core processor, mid range GPU, 256 gig SSD, should be easily possible for under $1500.

Yes, any modern dedicated GPU will.

You can easily get a laptop that supports 2 displays, but there's a lot of other things to worry about when picking a laptop.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah don't spend over $1500. Anything over that and the price curve is out of whack, you'll pay a disproportionate amount for a slight gain in performance for the high end CPU and GPU. If you have more money to burn, put it into a nice 24 or 27 inch IPS screen with good color accuracy.

You do not need a professional GPU. A Xeon can actually be comparable in price and performance to an i7 with the biggest difference being the i7 has built in graphics. You certainly don't need a high end $1000 xeon (these are meant for servers etc).

Laptops are always a compromise. If you want something small and light with good battery life, it will be underpowered compared to a desktop. If you want something fast and powerful, it will be huge, heavy, and have bad battery life (so there is little difference vs a desktop pc).

4790 is a good choice. R9 270X is a good value but a little mid range, ok if you intend to buy a new GPU in 2 years or so. Otherwise, get a R9 290 or a GTX 770 ( would recommend nvidia for a workstation as there tends to be less issues with drivers and more support, like cuda, for dev apps).

Definitely get a 240/256GB SSD.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha yeah, thats actually not a bad idea, as the suggestions always tend to be the same. Would be a pain keeping it updated when new hardware comes out though.

Theres also this: http://www.logicalincrements.com/ but its not really targeted to game developers.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Haha yeah, thats actually not a bad idea, as the suggestions always tend to be the same. Would be a pain keeping it updated when new hardware comes out though.

Theres also this: http://www.logicalincrements.com/ but its not really targeted to game developers.

We'd basically use logical increments but with a few notes.
    Suggest you at least spend around $600
    Spend about the same amount on your CPU and GPU depending a bit on your toolset
    If your spending close to $1000 you probably want 16 gigs of ram.
    Nvidia is the safer GPU choice right now, and worth it if anything you use has CUDA support.
  • Immanu'EL Segol
    Thank you! so much for the suggestions people :D. You guys really helped me out !
  • Immanu'EL Segol
    I all so think that we should keep this thread open because lately i have been seeing lot of people asking these types of questions and there rarely is a place with "real life answers" most of the answers that I have seen where telling me to go buy a pro workstation so yeah :D