Home Royalties or Post-Launch Compensation Work

[Rev Share] MoPho' Games looking for 3D Artist

I'm looking to hire a small team of talented individuals to help produce a quality first person shooter (working title is Orbital Assault)

Who Am I
My name is Alan Stagner. I'm the author of Unity Multiplayer Games by Packt Publishing. I also collaborate with DaikonForge on a number of previous and upcoming Unity middleware offerings. Now, I want to make a good, fun, and solid shooter experience for PC & Mac.

Summary
Orbital Assault will be a free-to-play first person shooter aiming to provide a quality shooter experience. The game is set in the semi-distant future and takes some inspiration from shooter classics like Quake (mostly in the physics department, with some weapons inspiration) as well as more recent offerings like Battlefield and Halo. There will be a mix of modern weaponry and exotic fantasy weapons.
I'm aiming to provide two things: good, fun, and fair gameplay, and a high quality graphical experience.

Who I'm Looking For
I'm looking for a 3D modeler with a talent for modeling, unwrapping, texturing, and animating characters, weapons, and environment art for the game. The ideal applicant has an understanding of HDR, physically based shading, and linear vs gamma color space.
It is helpful, but not required, to be comfortable working with SVN repositories.

Roadmap
We'll be following a similar route that several indie games such as Interstellar Marines, Folklore, and more have taken.
The idea is to release a series of small demos. Each demo is designed to give the public a taste of what's to come in the final version, and most importantly to help us actually develop the components of our game and to develop a workflow.
It will be important to gather an audience throughout the early development releases, as the success of a F2P game - especially a multiplayer one - really depends on having an audience of fans (other factors aside).
  • The first demo will be a graphics demo. It will showcase environments, characters, weapons, effects, animations, and more. The purpose of the demo is twofold: to help us develop a workflow between concept artist, 3D artist, and level designer, and additionally to show off the graphics and art we expect to employ in the final game.
  • The second demo will be a shooting demo. The goal of the demo is to develop our weaponry system, fine-tune the "feel" of the shooting, and to show the public the meat of any FPS: guns and bullets. This demo will take place in a small shooting range, allowing the player to take aim at a number of stationary and moving targets with an Assault Rifle.
  • The third demo will be a gameplay demo. The goal of this demo is to expand upon the movement and weaponry developed in earlier demos into a small playable game. In this demo the player is given a full loadout (Assault Rifle, Pistol, Frag Grenade, and Sentry Turret) and is tasked with surviving against increasing waves of enemy robots.
  • The fourth demo will be a multiplayer demo. The goal of this demo is to help us integrate earlier prototypes into an authoritative multiplayer context with a simple player versus player demo game. Players are given the same loadout as the prior Gameplay Demo and tasked with killing members of the opposing team (essentially, Team Deathmatch)
  • Finally, these concepts will all be combined and applied towards creating the finished product as a fully playable, well polished game.

Compensation
We'll be using dynamic equity split to share revenue, also known as a "Grunt Fund".
A full document describing our approach in detail can be requested, but the basics of it are this:
  • Employees provide "theoretical monetary value" to the grunt fund (the two main ways of doing this are with time based on a theoretical wage, and with actual money/assets)
  • The employee's cut of the gross income is based on the employee's percent contribution to the total theoretical grunt fund.
  • In the end, the employee receives a cut of the gross income of the game based on what that employee has contributed.

Remote Work
We'll be collaborating remotely. We'll be using Google Hangouts to communicate, so applicants will need a Google account.
There's also a Google Drive folder containing relevant materials to the game - tech documents, GDD, and more. The folder will be shared with you upon being hired.

If you would like to apply, please send an email to jobs@mophogames.com with:
  • Your name
  • Which roles you want to fill
  • A link to your portfolio demonstrating proficiency in your chosen role(s)
  • Why you want to work for us
Please, don't just send me your Skype handle over PM. Your application will not be considered unless you directly send an email to the aforementioned address with at least a link to your portfolio.