Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC - Lerakon

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
IsadistI greentooth
I really like a lot Necris and would like to see in the game is more than theirs locations and technology.

Replies

• hamstocks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hamstocks polycounter lvl 5
    yo man, those look great! im lovin that top one especially, lookin forward to seeing these progress
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Yea agree with hamstocks both have really great elements to them and bags of atmosphere. Would be happy to see either progress further!
  • justin hill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice painting! Amazing talent in these forums
  • IsadistI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IsadistI greentooth
    justin hill/ Sharvo/hamstocks thanks guys! if three guys like it then I am ready to finish) is not a lot of progress one pictures
  • LandSknecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LandSknecht polycounter lvl 5
    The red on blue looks like it almost had as much a part in the increased depth as the higher contrasting values did, interesting. It looks awesome, if that even needs to be said. Pretty envious of the reflections on those circular plates, the heads on the wall, and the richness of those colors and brush strokes (especially the left hand side of the foreground).
  • chucklepunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks very interesting so far ;]
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Really lovely mood, especially the first one.
  • IsadistI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IsadistI greentooth
    a little update! maybe I'd have at the right time

LandSknecht - -I'm pretty damn flattered your attention!
    Suba - ^______^
    chucklepunch- niii-ce!!
  • carpal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are really cool!
  • IsadistI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IsadistI greentooth
    Well I think that is the latest update
    guys write your opinion and what could be improved ( do not pity me!^___^)
    I wish you all good luck

292qm28.jpg
    34nmja8.jpg
    znsg89.jpg
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Isadistl, I would personally take a look at this video. Only watch the first sections before the Q and A where Chris Perna is talking about visual clarity to the player and how to approach details.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Nlz7XonCs"]Unreal Tournament: Visual Clarity and Official Concept Art Preview - YouTube[/ame]

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/showthread.php?8029-Visual-clarity-in-Unreal-Tournament

While visually cool, you may have overcomplicated the design of the environment in some cases. Too much visual busyness is no-good for UT4 as Epic has stated they want to avoid that issue they had in UT3. Now I don't work at Epic, and only someone at Epic themselves would be able to tell people what's too far.

Your shapes are very interesting and alien feeling, but I would double check yourself on the business. Your decision to keep the floors clear is good I would just say some of the walls or obstacles in the area might be the culprits. Good luck man!
  • IsadistI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IsadistI greentooth
    Hello Isadistl, I would personally take a look at this video. Only watch the first sections before the Q and A where Chris Perna is talking about visual clarity to the player and how to approach details.

Unreal Tournament: Visual Clarity and Official Concept Art Preview - YouTube

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/showthread.php?8029-Visual-clarity-in-Unreal-Tournament

While visually cool, you may have overcomplicated the design of the environment in some cases. Too much visual busyness is no-good for UT4 as Epic has stated they want to avoid that issue they had in UT3. Now I don't work at Epic, and only someone at Epic themselves would be able to tell people what's too far.

Your shapes are very interesting and alien feeling, but I would double check yourself on the business. Your decision to keep the floors clear is good I would just say some of the walls or obstacles in the area might be the culprits. Good luck man!

Thanks guys probably I missed this statement a new direction on the Simplification and direction in harmony

I liked the old style with theirs exaggeration details
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep in mind what Chris said. The mirrors-edge ultra clean look is not the look of the entire game.

This quote from the forums is a good way of thinking about it.

"I think, since making a game with 90's levels of polygons isn't going to fly in 2014, the visual clarity has to come from having a hierarchy of details. If everything is equally detailed and important, you end up with something that that resembles late-medieval art where nothing is the focus of a scene. Finding a spefic character or detail in that is like trying to find Waldo. Detail doesn't create clutter by itself.

Basically, parts of the world and its objects need and overall well defined and recognizable shape, over laid with smaller subordinate details (bolts, rivets, lights, pock marks, grills, tiles...endless list of things). Even further, the color scheme of objects should add to the visual order and focus of the world. In the latest concept image, this is done effectively, by using colored orange bands to break up the map, giving it interesting detail but also harmony. Every detail can't be equally important or the product just looks incoherent, unmemorable and undefined."
  • amadeux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amadeux polycounter lvl 8
    Our opinion? This is insane! it is awesome the way it is, but maybe create a version with UT gameplay elements like flags and team colors. I agree that this look is exceptionally worthwhile having considering the interview comments reflect on being able to explore at this stage of the game. The atmosphere is still pretty consistent and the structure just adds some pretty good depth to the environment.
  • Geno527
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geno527 polycounter lvl 8
    IsadistI wrote: »
    Well I think that is the latest update
    guys write your opinion and what could be improved ( do not pity me!^___^)
    I wish you all good luck

292qm28.jpg
    ]

This one is perfect, very clean, the visual clarity can work with this one.
  • IsadistI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IsadistI greentooth
    Geno527 -well what do you think so that would be cool
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    That looks really good. In fact I would love to give it a try and work on it some day, hehehe.

One thing I would add though, is some human silhouette somewhere to get a size reference. I can ind of guess with the stairs on the bottom middle, but still...