Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Steampunk Hellboy

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
Latest update:
ZdivHFi.jpg

So, I'll be creating Zagumennyy's Steampunk Hellboy from this past Comicon Challenge. I've been jonesing to have a new Hellboy in my portfolio because lets face it, every 3D artist should have a Hellboy in their portfolio :)
I2HKbzu.jpg

I'm gonna try to keep him under 30k. I want to keep the texture fairly hand painted looking but I might dabble in the PBR stuff in Marmoset to really make the metal pop!

Updates soon!

Replies

• Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Hellboy is a badass character, don't fuck it up ! :D Good luck man.
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    PBR Hand painted metal
    hell yes.
    giphy.gif
  • Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    hellboy + handpainted style = I subscribe :)
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, hopefully I won't disappoint :)

Update! I've got the body and some stuff blocked in. Still gotta do his coat and gun w/ holster but I'm at a good point to get some feedback before continuing

P3Crcry.png
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Pretty good but I think you should rework on the proportions for now. Gauntlet is waaaay too big. And his arms looks kinda tiny compared to his chest.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Suba, thanks for the feedback, I bulked his arms up a bit and adjusted his chest a little. I've been modeling from model sheets and not just the beauty shot. That is where I'm getting the huge gauntlet because thats an iconic part of his design. I think with his all his doodads on it doesn't look too big now.

Y7Tv5NZ.png

Got everything blocked in, except for the gun. Will make another pass on the body(especially the hands) as well as starting to detail everything
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanLeigh polycounter lvl 9
    I think his arms need more mass, they look to thin compared to his body at the moment. Especially his forearms, in the concept they're HUGE!
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I think he's getting the proportions fairly right, at least based on Mignola's drawing style, not necessarily the concept in the first post.

Anyway, looking good so far!
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, yeah in the model sheets Zagumeny made some proportions a bit different and closer to the way Mignola draws him, it doesn't necessarily match his original concept/beauty shot. Hellboy's not super roided out like the Hulk so I went with the slimmer build

NUmEQnv.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the lack of updates, been working on some other stuff and he got swept aside temporarily. But now I'm back! Got everything modeled and have gotten into the sculpting :)
    7BAhSL9.png
    6kXVBGc.png
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Where's the updates man? Get back to work.

Looking good btw
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron wrote: »
    Where's the updates man? Get back to work.

Looking good btw

Ask and you shall receive :)

He's getting there! I still have to go in and sharpen some folds up and add some wear and scratches to other places but he's almost sculpted!
    lantMW8.png

And I worked on the face a bit more BignM0s.png
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time no update!

I started texturing him and been making good progress.
    lO2qL5W.png
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks DKK I really appreciate it man! That render is just ZBrush with a clay matcap :)

Long delay since the last update because of the Riot contest. But here's an update, working on all the texture maps now. Would appreciate any feedback as far as material definition goes. And in the mean time I'll be working on the posing
    K9mr6gP.jpg
  • Dmellott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmellott greentooth
    Looking good! Can't wait to see how this turns out! Only thing standing out to me right now is that the gauntlet is looking a bit like solid gold. The concept has flatter highlights, try messing around with your roughness and metalness to bring them more in line with the concept. Really sweet so far! Good stuff!
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Dmellott, I totally agree that it looks too much like solid gold. And so, I played around with the textures to get it more in line with the material from the concept, like bronze/copper. I still wanna work in a little color variation on the metal but I'm pretty happy with the direction its taking. More tweaks here and there. Playing around with the skin shader a bit too. Got my poses ready for beauty renders too :) Should be wrapping this bad boy up soon.
    ZdivHFi.jpg
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    Looks fantastic! Could you post your wire frame for the retopo, it's really smooth :)
  • LReisis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LReisis polycounter lvl 6
    Love the piece! Would be really cool if you could share your texturing process, did you do a polypaint first? or did you just jumped into photoshop? Same question for your Dota 2 items man!

I also wanted to suggest maybe creating a little more contrast between his shirt and body, maybe exploring other shit colors, not sure if you are done with it.
    i took the liberty of making this to show better what I mean.

WF1BjtF.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holly: Thanks a bunch. A wireframe will be in the final renders :)
    Lazaro, First of all thanks! :) My texturing process isn't too revolutionary but I'll be sure to share. I don't usually polypaint unless I'm trying to figure out colors. I use pretty much the same workflow as STRIKER and Terrabite as seen here:
    9cop.png
    It works really well for unlit diffuse and for the Dota 2 items its pretty much that workflow while working with the masks to change stuff up. For Hellboy it was a similar process except I toned down the baked lighting in my diffuse and used it in a AO map instead. And I use the cavity map extensively in my spec maps overall. Then it just came down to tweaking values so the materials read the way they should. Pretty standard stuff :)

As for the shirt, I did play around with colors earlier on in the texture process but I wanted to stick to the concept and overall I'm happy with it :) But I appreciate the suggestion. Will post finals soon!
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here's the final shots, thanks everyone for the help along the way. I appreciate it!
    7Sf3yqV.jpg
    wKGGbyp.jpg
    oIjjAfh.jpg
    NlnflW9.jpg
    66vE3vJ.jpg
    HJhZxL1.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    Looks great.
    You should really give this piece justice and pose him with the tentacles and everything.
  • LReisis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LReisis polycounter lvl 6
    This looks awesome!
    Thank you for sharing your texturing process too! I'm eager to try it
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    To me the background feels like it ruins the piece a little, it just seems distracting with all that noise. However the work you did on the model looks great!
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo: Y'know I might do that actually. Would definitely give the piece a wow factor :)

Lazaro: Thanks! Glad you learned something :)

Phil: I hear ya, one thing I'm always trying to improve on is presentation(not that I don't try to improve other things) If I come back to this I'll see what I can do about that. Glad you like the model, though.
  • WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow this is great! I love how clean your geometry is, and your high-poly is excellent.

Really nice project, really well executed.