Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC - Mid-tech Industrial

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
amadeux polycounter lvl 8
Awesome to see so many great entries. I was pretty excited to see this challenge I thought I would enter.

There where so many ways I wanted to take this so today I played around with a concept for a bit. I want to try to make it as intense as I can without it being too distracting for game play. So I'm going for a High-tech Industrial facility and see where I can take it from here. from this rough I'm going to make scene with better angle/correct perspective as well a couple more using some of the blockout references. wish me luck!

lava_well_rough_01.png

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, I already see the level in this one ... stick a redeemer on the back of that lava tower and a sniper rifle in that bright window overlooking the bridge and you're on your way!
  • amadeux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, A sniper and redeemer in this would really spice things up bit :D. I was also thinking of including a lower level chamber bellow from the drilling rig where the drill shaft runs through the center of the chamber. I'm thinking that may be a little too much for 1-3 concept illustrations to get the look and feel for it, but i'll see if I can fit it in.
  • amadeux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I got up to this for now. It wont be a while before I can get back to it since I got to go out of town for a bit. I changed the design up a bit as well as added a bit to the layout. Comments and crits are more than welcome :) .
    lava_well_rough_02.png
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    Looks pretty cool so far. Keep going!
  • amadeux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks TorQue, will do. Just been busy for a bit, now I gotta get moving quickly here. This is another small update for now and will keep going to finish it up.

lava_well_rough_03.png
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good to see this one wasn't forgotten as a WIP never to be finished it has some totally unique architecture with very contrasting elements. Everything is more curved on the white side and harder angles on the black side but as a whole it works together quite well.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    I think I prefer the more angular design of the top image. Also would be nice to see some interior sketches. Currently its more of a cool picture rather than a concept for a full level.
  • amadeux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks FirebornForm, I really appreciate your input I'm going for a supported-structure look. Torque, you're right I got carried away with the illustration, although it does help me build the concept of the structure so I maybe going back and forth with it.

lava_well_rough_04.png

So far I started with one of the block-ins to get a good feel of the building. Still got a ways to go, but I got me some coffee and energy drinks for so that's nice.

lava_well_rough_05.png
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The final's isnt here but you have a really cool inside shot. Lots of "busy architecture" with all of the wall plates jutting out but because you kept it clean it'll be no problem for visual clarity :)
  • amadeux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks FirebornForm,

I figured I just post the final in the submition thread, But Here it is:
    lava_well_rough_07.png