Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC - Water Pyramid

HI I am a computer engineer student and I am really rusty at my hobby level skills at 2d pictures. But here is my try:

I wanted to do a style that can get away with the competetive needs for a boxy low detail enviroments while still being pretty, I think that a solution is to have strong colours with easy to visually process textures. While the gameplay part of the level needs to be without distraction, the roof and floor should have some moving elements in it, like the water I tried to add in this image. Competetive blocky games tends to feel like warehouse simulators without some moving element in the scenery to get away from the abandoned warehouse style.

Image has 2 hours spent on it.

Replies

• wez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wez
    Love the colors, very unique!
  • Aperson4321
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Wez :)

I looked at your artofwez and wow super awesome!
    Your vibrant colourfull sci fi japan themed images was superb.
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man. I saw you posted this to the finals and it's disappointing to say the least.

Not that I hate your idea, I think it's really different and colorful. What's disappointing is that you entered this contest but only spent 2 hours on it when you had a full month to polish it up. If you want Epic to really consider your work than you have to put in the time and effort to reflect that.

Ask yourself this, could you see this in an art book? It was a nice start, but severely lacking in its "finished" state. I understand you're not an artist and you're a computer engineer but if you got this far in 2 hours and you had a month, well...

You still have a couple days left until the deadline and while you didn't do any work for weeks on it, I think you should spend a little more time with this one before you can say it's final. No matter your skill level contests are meant to push you to do more than usual, to out-do your old stuff.
  • Kromus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man. I saw you posted this to the finals and it's disappointing to say the least.

Not that I hate your idea, I think it's really different and colorful. What's disappointing is that you entered this contest but only spent 2 hours on it when you had a full month to polish it up. If you want Epic to really consider your work than you have to put in the time and effort to reflect that.

Ask yourself this, could you see this in an art book? It was a nice start, but severely lacking in its "finished" state. I understand you're not an artist and you're a computer engineer but if you got this far in 2 hours and you had a month, well...

You still have a couple days left until the deadline and while you didn't do any work for weeks on it, I think you should spend a little more time with this one before you can say it's final. No matter your skill level contests are meant to push you to do more than usual, to out-do your old stuff.

^^ This. It's a great idea too. Water pyramids yo. Put some tweaks on it!