Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC - The Forge

triangle
Hey everyone,

Used to play UT 2004 back in the day and loved it, so I thought I'd give this a go.

I want to create the interior of a steel works and take influences from old victorian items and gothic architecture. The main focus of the enviro will be the blast furnace area, If I have time later on I might try adding the outside of the building too.

TtDgmpw.jpg

IYgVqho.jpg

Replies

• drawntothenorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drawntothenorth triangle
    Heres some ideas for the level and overall design etc

tOyOeIT.jpg

Y14hIdm.jpg

eyK7pWP.jpg
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Oh man, great stuff so far. 2B is the most visually interesting to me, seems like it would be pretty fun to play too.
  • drawntothenorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drawntothenorth triangle
    JamesArk wrote: »
    Oh man, great stuff so far. 2B is the most visually interesting to me, seems like it would be pretty fun to play too.

I like that one too, gunna come back and work into these some more once I've figured out how the furnace looks.

I thought I'd start working on the furnace, I got one I liked the look of but when I modelled it in 3d I didn't like the legs.

yAw7ede.jpg

I did a quick paintover of the legs and thought it would be better to have a different way to tilt the furnace. So ended up with this rocking mechanism, it still looks weird and victorian/gothic so I think I might run with this design.

Also thought it might be interesting to incorporate some gargoyles as decoration around the lid part of the furnace.

xUSiQrU.jpg
  • wez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wez
    Nice work :), here is a video of DM Metallurgy from UT2004 if you interested to see how forges have been handled before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiK7iBzQWGo
  • Delofasht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Solid conceptual idealization, Nice line work too. While the style of architecture isn't classically Unreal Tournament, I think the concept is being executed so well it's very likely to influence at least one of the designers at the very least. I can see a lot of thought has gone into everything in the design, especially the function fused with appearance.
  • drawntothenorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drawntothenorth triangle
    wez wrote: »
    Nice work :), here is a video of DM Metallurgy from UT2004 if you interested to see how forges have been handled before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiK7iBzQWGo

Thanks Wez, I don't remember playing this map too much. It's giving me more ideas on how to lay out a map though.

Delofasht wrote: »
    Solid conceptual idealization, Nice line work too. While the style of architecture isn't classically Unreal Tournament, I think the concept is being executed so well it's very likely to influence at least one of the designers at the very least. I can see a lot of thought has gone into everything in the design, especially the function fused with appearance.

True, I'm wanting to go somewhere between fantasy and industrial. I'm hoping I can give it a more UT feel if I incorporate some of the ideas of the level design (needs more ramps and jump pads) :)
    I might be starting on a project soon though so might not be able to do a lot on this for a few days.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Wez, I don't remember playing this map too much. It's giving me more ideas on how to lay out a map though.
    Don't lose sight of what we're doing here though. We're establishing looks and themes here. Don't worry too much about gameplay or level flow or whatever. That can come later. This is about establishing what UT looks like.
  • drawntothenorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drawntothenorth triangle
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Don't lose sight of what we're doing here though. We're establishing looks and themes here. Don't worry too much about gameplay or level flow or whatever. That can come later. This is about establishing what UT looks like.

Thanks Warren I'll keep it in mind,

Also a quick update, I modelled out my concept in sketchup. It took a bit of tweaking here and there but I think I have the overall forms how I want them now.

7CsIyWY.jpg

CtOe8ES.jpg

WlwvWke.jpg
  • Delofasht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like if they don't use this amount of good ideas I don't know what would get used. Great work on the sketchup model, can't wait to see the lighting and texturing.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, I love that machinery! Stuff like that animating in the level would be killer.
  • drawntothenorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drawntothenorth triangle
    Delofasht wrote: »
    Like if they don't use this amount of good ideas I don't know what would get used. Great work on the sketchup model, can't wait to see the lighting and texturing.

Thanks Delofasht, I'm getting around to the colour pass now :)
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Man, I love that machinery! Stuff like that animating in the level would be killer.

Cheers Warren, If theres time I'd like to do an animation sheet to go with the design as well.

So a quick update, I created a ton of scenes in sketchup and saved the ones I liked and did a value pass over some. Once I had an idea of a few I wanted to go with, I did some sketches over the top.

2gR5G3X.jpg
    AWVg6kN.jpg
    y41n0Be.jpg

I've started on the colour pass today and should have the back view done soon.
  • chucklepunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome thread. Good to see someone really get in there and work it out on multiple levels. Feels like a playable map.
  • drawntothenorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drawntothenorth triangle
    Awesome thread. Good to see someone really get in there and work it out on multiple levels. Feels like a playable map.

Thanks Chucklepunch, nice work on the blog btw!

Alright, so Ive got the back view of the forge coloured up, need to tighten things here and there but more or less this is what i'm going for.
    If anybody has any advice on design/painting or otherwise I would love to hear your opinion.

NtRVv2o.jpg
  • LandSknecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LandSknecht polycounter lvl 5
    I'm not qualified on the whole advice front, but the textures and finishes on the various metals and concrete are really great.
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Lots of great images, the concept has good potential. :)
  • drawntothenorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drawntothenorth triangle
    I'm not qualified on the whole advice front, but the textures and finishes on the various metals and concrete are really great.
    MMKH wrote: »
    Lots of great images, the concept has good potential. :)

Thanks LandSknecht and MMKH, I asked an old class mate to take a look. A couple of perspective issues slipped by me so I ended up sorting those and touching some areas up.

So i've got the other two nearly complete again any feedback would be welcomed.

iEHG5Dp.jpg

uQSE9JK.jpg
  • drawntothenorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drawntothenorth triangle
    Alright so I created a simple animation sheet for how the furnace works and pours etc

Tnenqjh.jpg

And I created an overview of the map which I'm going to try to paint up as well

aLvbVgB.jpg

These are my finals which i've submitted

LHoAABh.jpg
    x6r8JIv.jpg
    bCej3jI.jpg