Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Glock 17 w/ Breakdown

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Kimono polycounter lvl 10
Hi everyone, I got a warm reaction to this piece in the WAYWO thread so wanted to provide a little more background and answers for some of the questions I've received. The final shots are from marmoset toolbag 2.

35cscreenshot029.png

34cscreenshot026.png

The kevlar vest was a quick sculpt from a Zbrush primitive:

kevlar.jpg

kevlarmarmoset.jpg

The modelling for the glock was done in the evenings after work over about a 5 day period in total adding a few more for lowpoly and bake. Generally I can eek out a couple of hours a night, more if I don't mind feeling sluggish the next day (had a couple late ones working on this) Textures were created over a weekend. The triangle counts I don't consider too inflated for current day standards, for the glock I'd mainly consider redistributing geometry depending on it's purpose, for instance a key area would be the plastic knurled gripping on the polymer front and back. Depending upon hand pose and animations this would probably not be seen in FPV and could be greatly simplified. There tris could be placed elsewhere, aside from that there are a number of superfluous internals too ;)

Triangle budgets are as follows:
  • Glock: 12371
  • Surelight: 2670
  • Silencer: 1360
  • Kevlar: 1424

screenshot031.png

For texturing everything starts with the high poly, this is where a huge part of your material definition will be derived from. Plastic will have softer moulded edges, metals depending on how they are machined will have more precise edges and perforated details. I bake out all necessary maps and begin creating base values for all of my materials. I learnt the hard way a long time ago that clear distinct materials is the most vital element, which is why I won't dream of touching a single overlay until whatever I'm working on looks great without them. You'd have to try very hard to fuck up good base materials with overlays, they are only there to help further define what you're going for, not to mask work you've already done.

Texture flats shown here, downsized from 2048^2 to 512^2, I can provide full res if anyone is truly interested but uploading files like that becomes unwieldy :p

flats.jpg

The vest was textured at 1024x2048 (in hindsight I'd have increased this size for better resolution parity)

kevlarflats.jpg

Streamlight was textured on a 1024x512

streamlightflats.jpg

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know or see!

Replies

• Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    nice breakdown, Id like to ask about rendering tho...what renderer did you use?
    also would you mind sharing glock psds?
    Thanks!
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Look in the bottom right of screenshots. It is marmoset 2
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh right.....what was your light setup then? is it skybox or also custom lights or mostly custom lights?
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike8917 polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for this man, it looks fantastic. How is texturing for PBR different for you? One thing I'm curious about is that there's a lot of almost pure black in the albedo maps, especially for the streamlight. I know it's always been said to stay away from using pure black/white. Is it okay to do that now with PBR for the albedo maps?
  • carlobarley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carlobarley polycounter lvl 9
    ty for the breakdown!
    If you have time can you tell us your workflow on balancing diffuse/spec and gloss values?
  • jaffajuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice! thanks for sharing.
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    Would like to see some high poly shots.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Is this real life
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all it's super late here so I'll try to get those HP shots for you tomorrow :) I'll give much more detailed breakdowns too of texturing workflows and lights to answer all other questions :)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this real life

or is this just fantasy!

Also, it looks tight as tits yo!
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys
    SixtyEight: this is the smashed windows sky that ships with toolbag 2 and the lighting is so extremely simple, just three point lights. I'm going on holiday to Spain actually in a couple of hours so uploading a bunch of 2k PSD's isn't really feasable (I'll have internet there but no PC) I'll see if people are still interested when I get back :)

Mike8917: Texturing is mainly different now because we're having to abandon alot of old hacks that were necessary to achieve effects we wanted. When it comes to texturing, rules and guidelines are cool but I'd advise experimenting more and figuring out what works and what doesn't than listening to "things that have been said" I know it's a bit of a BS answer but it's really the best I can give. Depending on the material you'd like to convey the albedo now plays not much of a role, however we're used to that, last generation the spec map was king and required most of your energy.

Carlobarley: Well alot of it comes from solid knowledge of materials and what I'm using each of my texture maps for. I actually won't bother to check my texture much until I've got base values down because I have a solid plan for what materials I want before I've ever opened a PSD. At that point it just becomes a case of taking a few minutes to nudge the values to how you'd like them. We're lucky because now there're real time physically accurate renderers it's become easier than ever to match materials, you just need to understand the roles each texture is playing, I can wholeheartedly recommend the documents our friendly neighbourhood marmoset boys wrote up: https://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-theory and https://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice as soon as you understand what they're explaining here you're 90% of the way there :)

Sabor: a couple shots of high poly only:
    screenshot038.png

screenshot039.png
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    This is killer work man.

Thanks for sharing!
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimono wrote: »
    I'm going on holiday to Spain actually in a couple of hours so uploading a bunch of 2k PSD's isn't really feasable (I'll have internet there but no PC) I'll see if people are still interested when I get back :)

going to Spain aswell in a few days haha, what city are you going to? you could give me psds there lol, just kidding ^^
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike8917 polycounter lvl 10
    Ah no worries man, your answer is fine :) I'm still getting my head around this PBR stuff. Those links are great btw! Well worth a read. Thanks again :)
  • SimonAlbon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stunning work! Just one question, I'm intrigued as to how you made the bumps/extrusions/pointy bits at the end of the barrel? For the life of me I can't work out how to do uniform patterns in a 3D mesh.
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    Do you actually set up the material values in marmoset, or just tweak the spec/gloss values via textures?
    Marmoset is giving me a hard time with that atm :/
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Ben nice work. I didn't know you still made guns in your spare time ;)

One thing i'd say to watch out for with PBR is to avoid such extremely dark values on the basecolor/diffuse, that stuff is going to have a very hard time looking right under multiple light conditions.
    Also you rely perhaps a bit much on the spec map; materials like the text and the cloth on the vest won't have different F0 values in real life for example. It's more correct to offload that onto the roughness map.
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonAlbon: I take a cylinder and give it a very deliberate number of edges, depending on the size of the knurling I want and add an equal number of height segments so I have even quads. After that I tesselate (same effect can be achieved by doing an inset by face and welding the result), at this point the graphite tools OR polyboost pre max 2010 come in handy. Select one of the diagonal edges inside a quad and under modify selection hit "select similar" you'll now have all the diagonal edges selected, then you can use an extrude and you'll have your knurling.

Rumkugel: All of my material values are set to default inside marmoset (1.0) and I just texture it as such, for me this makes the most sense for a few reasons. 1) in a production environment what you're texturing needs to feel synced and look correct in accordance to everything around it, if someone is throwing weird values in their material/shader it can cause oddities. I've seen it many times (even I was guilty of it in the past) where you check peoples materials and spec is set to 5 or some crazy value and it blows out when people attempt to light stuff. 2) It's just easier to worry about balancing textures correctly with sensible default values than trying to be a superhero and tweak texture values AND shader settings, it's just making extra work for yourself imo

Edit: Hey Laurens, thanks for the feedback. What lighting scenarios do you mean specifically? I was constantly switching through every sky whilst texturing and everything appears as I expected. Also as for spec that's probably true, old habits die hard haha
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Looks great. Thanks for posting the low-poly wireframe. Interesting to see where you placed your polys.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff Ben!

Crits: I would add some scones and jam in the background. Perhaps a packet of crisps.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    requesting to see full res flats
  • Fliipzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fliipzy polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, this looks fantastic! I'm really curious to know if you can recommend any tutorials on how to improve high-poly modelling?