BeardyDan polycounter lvl 2
LATEST UPDATE:

pSAgZf7.jpg

IAczpif.jpg

k1b141e.jpg

hz5fL2U.jpg

L5A6rPV.jpg

ORIGINAL POST

Hello people, this is our thread for the PETROL/BLOOD contest!

Our team, consists of myself, and Timbo. To start, I will be creating the vehicle whilst Timbo will be creating the character.

We've spent a evening or two mocking up some ideas for our submission. We've decided to go for a hybrid between Steampunk and Dieselpunk, with a Kaiser themed character and his car.

So far we've settled on rough mockups for both the car and the character (the car itself went through a few mockups before we were satisfied).

At the moment the car is just a hastily made blockout in Max, whilst Tim has used Zbrush and Photoshop to quickly mock up the character.

Reference

Reference_Sheet_zpsa14af72a.jpg

Mockups and Concept

CharacterDesign_Sheet_zps743e6661.jpg

Vehicle_01_zps9bb6b42b.jpg

Vehicle_02_zps930a71fd.jpg

Vehicle_Character_zpsad37020c.jpg

Thanks!

Replies

• Timbo
    Hi All Im Timbo

Ill be working with beardydan on the Petrol Blood challenge, We have both worked together professionally for about year and a half and we seem to sort of get on so we are going to give this a go and see if we end up hating each other or not, Wish us luck :)
  • BeardyDan
    Offline / Send Message
    I spent some time this weekend working on the guns and mount for the vehicle. Wanted to get the design of this nailed first in case it affected the shape of the body.

The guns are loosely based on Maxims but they have been beefed up a bit; made the body of the gun a bit larger, as well as changing the shape of the barrel cover. Water cooling is intact via a pipe that leads back in to the car. I've also added a system at the back that will allow the driver to fire the guns from the "cockpit" of the car, and the guns themselves are in a fixed position (like a fighter plane). Extra details such as dirt and damage will be added to the normal map later.

I built a mid poly for these first, so I can just optimize them down quickly for the low. Here's some quick renders of the high poly. (white mesh is a rough blockout of the section of the car they will sit on).

PB_GunsRender01_Danny_zpse0aae178.jpg~original

PB_GunsRender04_Danny_zps07ec9719.jpg~original

PB_GunsRender02_Danny_zpseab8894b.jpg~original

PB_GunsRender04_Danny.jpg?_subject_uid=30578054&w=AAAGj1pXrKvNE-IAMl1tw4MmCzRr8_c0Extx72m6jXgfNwhttp:
  • Dan!
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    great idea- watching this for sure!
  • Timbo
    Hi all

Just a quick update to show how the character is coming along, I Had a few days off work this week so decided to get stuck in and I'm pretty happy with how its coming along so far, there are areas I'm not sure on like eagles on the shoulders have a little to much of a toon feel to them so I'm going to have another go at them when i come round to the second pass, Ill also post some close ups when I've added a little more surface detail to him and worked it all up a little more.

CharacterUpdate_zps001909cf.jpg~original
  • maverickhornet
    Offline / Send Message
    maverickhornet polycounter lvl 9
    Good looking stuff Dan. Looking forward to more from you guys...
  • BeardyDan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I'd post another update on the vehicle's progress:

First of all I've tweaked the silhouette of the vehicle, as I wasn't too happy with the main design after looking at it with fresh eyes. Nothing too drastic, but I've essentially raised the car, added thicker wheels, and made the entire front section a bit bulkier, just to make the silhouette a bit more interesting.

I'm going to remove the eagle from the front of the car as well as I felt it made it look too tacky.

Anyway, after working out my design tweaks I started working on the high poly for the vehicle itself. I've started with the frame, wheels, suspension, engine and general undercarriage area; areas which really needed to be nailed down so I can build the car around the chassis and ensure everything looks like it works :).

A lot of these bits and pieces are based on old bentley stuff, and they will be exposed on the final asset as well. I've made the engine for two reasons; a) You will be able to see parts of it through the grill/hood b) I want at least one of the diorama shots to show the engine, I was thinking maybe "before combat" shot where our dude is preparing the car for battle, or adding some damage to our action shot, or maybe both ;).

Anyway, here's some quick renders of the vehicle work so far, I am aware some details are missing, such as some of the wiring and steering mechanisms, however I am leaving these until the rest of the high poly is complete.

PB_CARHPRender01_Danny_zps96153428.jpg~original

PB_CARHPRender02_Danny_zps5bb1a26e.jpg~original
  • Suba
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    I really like the character. Really original. That moustache ! :D
  • BeardyDan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I'd best post an update. Sorry I haven't updated in a while, but I was off sick for a week (manflu) so progress was hindered a bit, but I am in the process of catching up. I'm hoping to get the high poly done within the next few days as I only have a few bits and pieces left to do, plus a final detail pass (which shouldn't take long).

Here's what the car looks like currently:

PB_CARHPRender03_Danny_zps5049270a.jpg~original

PB_CARHPRender04_Danny_zps38fd1f66.jpg~original

Things I have left to do are mainly small details such as the gas pedals, horn, taillights, emblems on the front fenders, more nuts and bolts, steps and the probably the eagles on the front, depending on how they look. May also do some external wiring.

Still trying to think of a name for this thing. So far I've settled on "Kaiserfaust" but that's subject to change.
  • Mike8917
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike8917 polycounter lvl 10
    Looks really nice mate - a big fan of the asymmetrical parts on either side. Also, love the eagle wing design at the sides of the grill :) how's it looking from behind? Looking forward to more! :)
  • BeardyDan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, was going to post the rear shots as soon as I've done the taillights and gas pedals (as you can see in to the interior from the rear). So should be able to do another update tonight, depending on what time I clock off :)
  • manum
    wow, really nice job there so far
    I love the details that you guys are putting into these models.

Looking forward to see more updates.

Good luck with it
  • BeardyDan
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much finished the high poly now I've added a few more details:

PB_CARHPRender05_Danny_zps9eb476ea.jpg~original

PB_CARHPRender06_Danny_zps36d55780.jpg~original

PB_CARHPRender07_Danny_zpsb00df387.jpg~original

PB_CARHPRender08_Danny_zps4b2c15bb.jpg~original
  • Timbo
    Hi all, its been i while since i posted and i have been letting the side down a little I've just been super busy with work so I have got some catching up to do, Dan has done some amazing work on the car, well done mate its really cool. i just have to pull my finger out now and get us a character to put in it, So this is our driver so far I still have a fair bit of work to do but hes starting to come together.

Kaiser2WIP_zps26d6c733.jpg~original

Kaiser1WIP_zps1c748508.jpg~original
  • MonteCristo
    Oh wow, this looks absolutely sick! Definitely digging the cohesion between the two. Really consistent. One of my faves for sure. :D
  • audi100
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 polycounter lvl 11
    Impressive sculpts, going strong guys! And nice mustache.
  • Mike8917
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work guys - love it so far :)
  • Geno527
    Offline / Send Message
    Geno527 polycounter lvl 8
  • UncleFantazmo
    The detailing on all of this is amazing. You are really taking full advantage of the no poly limit.
  • Timbo
    Hi all

thanks for all the feedback,Ive been doing a little work to try and catch up, I've still got to work up the face and finish the sabers scabbard, and there's still allot of embroidery to do but I feel like I've broken the back of the highpoly work now.

KaiserUpdate1_zpsa83578c0.jpg~original

KaiserSword_zps77b1c156.jpg~original

Plate_zps2ff1958d.jpg~original

Belt_zpsea21d25e.jpg~original

Glass_zps2edb290d.jpg~original
  • BeardyDan
    Offline / Send Message
    That is looking awesome! Thanks everyone for kind words :)
  • BeardyDan
    Offline / Send Message
    TeamHp_zpsabaff99f.jpg~original

Tim set up a quick test in Zbrush so we could see them together (finally). Note that the car hasn't had an extra sub d applied in Zbrush (on top of the Max turbosmooths) as it would murder our PC's if we tried that with the character in the scene as well. Removing the turbosmooth on 91 parts and smoothing in Zbrush seemed a bit, excessive for a quick test.
  • MonteCristo
    Dayme! Yeah, they definitely work well together. Really cohesive. I guess the only thing I'm hoping for is less symmetry on the trousers, but it's a minor quibble. I can already picture the final beauty shot. Here's hoping your texturing's as good as your high-poly skills. Then this'll be a keeper for sure.
  • EarthQuake
    Looking great, loads of detail. I'm curious to see how this all transfers over to the low/bakes.
  • Darb4daR
  • axxic3
    This is one of my favorites this contest. I second Monte cristo on the symmetrical folding, I would wait until the character is posed before finalizing the wrinkles.
  • Timbo
    Hi all

Thanks for the comments, so about the symmetry, I would usually always sculpt a characters clothing without symmetry but unfortunately i really have very little time to work on this project and as a result i have opted for the very easy and i agree nasty mirror, i will maybe pull it around a little and see what i can do to try and improve it. So all ill say is sorry Dan ill have more time when we next do something like this its just been a bad few weeks :( .Ive done a little work on the face this evening and added the hair and i think i really need to say that's it for the highpoly work and just get the lowpoly stuff started, if i get any time ill rework some of the fine details in later.

Head2_zps73ddbb92.jpg~original

Head1_zps351da2e5.jpg~original
  • BeardyDan
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT: Just updated this with some better shots w/AO turned on.

Just taken some quick shots of the low poly with the normal map bake. I've also done a first pass in Ndo for some minor details.

PB_LOD0_03_Danny_zpsa9eee154.jpg~original

PB_LOD0_04_Danny_zps087b7bce.jpg~original

PB_LOD0_01_Danny_zpsaa6eb310.jpg~original

PB_LOD0_02_Danny_zpsa10fd32e.jpg~original

PB_LOD0_05_Danny_zps4accd13a.jpg~original
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Awesome work so far, I'm looking forward to seeing a block on textures/materials.
  • BeardyDan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

I've added some baked AO, and also fixed a couple of normal boo-boos which I totally missed in my haste to post an update :)

PB_LOD0_04_Danny_zpscf1b1d17.jpg~original

PB_LOD0_03_Danny_zpsa935e0e7.jpg~original

PB_LOD0_02_Danny_zpscdf93001.jpg~original

PB_LOD0_01_Danny_zpsf35e6e86.jpg~original
  • EarthQuake
    Nice, bake looks great.
  • BeardyDan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankyou Earthquake.

Today I've been working on the mask for DDO. I've not actually worked on the materials yet but I've got the mask sorted:

Edited post due to image hosting issues:

PB_CARWIP_LOW_01_Danny_zpsf56168c9.jpg~original
  • Suba
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Those colors are gorgeous. Really in love with that vehicle !
  • BeardyDan
    Offline / Send Message
    Edited post due to image hosting issues:

Thanks Suba!

I have been working on my Quixel pass on the main car:

Toolbag 2:

PTBL_Kaiserfaust_TXTWIP_03_zps5cfa9ea3.jpg~original

PTBL_Kaiserfaust_TXTWIP_04_zps4087cbb1.jpg~original

3DO:

PTBL_Kaiserfaust_TXTWIP_01_zps933eb70c.jpg~original

PTBL_Kaiserfaust_TXTWIP_02_zpsa55be8a1.jpg~original

Going to do my final pass in Photoshop and NDO, need to add some splatters, a couple of painted emblems, the license plate numbers etc. Still have the glass to do which shouldn't take long.
  • BeardyDan
    Offline / Send Message
    Double post - sorry
  • Geno527
    Offline / Send Message
    Geno527 polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, this is just wow. 0I can't wait to see your diorama ^^.
  • Crazy_pixel
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    stunning beautiful :poly124:
  • manum
    wow, really nice progress there
    stunning work :)
  • BeardyDan
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys, also apologies to anyone who couldn't view the images; I've upgraded my account now :)
  • Mike8917
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks beautiful mate, great work :)
  • BeardyDan
    Offline / Send Message
    Ta.

Texture tweaks:

PB_Kaiserfaust_LOW_01_zps71c6332a.jpg~original
  • EarthQuake
    Looking great dude, keep it up!
  • BeardyDan
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers man!

Did a few more tweaks, and have decided to draw a line under it. I could literally spend days tweaking stuff, but I need to crack on with the diorama, and I'm pretty happy with the results anyway.

PETBLO_KaiserFaust_Final_02_zpsdcb94d8c.jpg~original

PETBLO_KaiserFaust_Final_01_zps20620c7a.jpg~original

PETBLO_KaiserFaust_Final_04_zpsd273d9f4.jpg~original

PETBLO_KaiserFaust_Final_03_zps7aba3045.jpg~original
  • Urbanoutdoorsman
    Offline / Send Message
    Urbanoutdoorsman polycounter lvl 6
    This is coming together pretty well. Looking forward to the driver.
  • audi100
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 polycounter lvl 11
    "plop" the sound of my eyes popping. Stunning work, the Kaiser would be proud.
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I wish you could have some flat parts to rest the eye. Even on the long nose were its typically a resting area, just seems like you have arbitrary color changes from white to black to gold, its just hard to rest my eyes on this piece because of the amount of detail going on in terms of color changes. The high poly looks sick, but once you started adding color, I'm getting lost.

Its also pretty reflective. Like, everything is blinging, so, its hard to make out shapes and form when my eyes are filled with white flickers. Like, their is no wear and tear. Even on the tire rims, its all shiny. It might be because their is no light source and not in a scene, but, just seems like a lot going on.
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    into inspiration folder this goes.
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    hey, looks pretty sweet.

i have some concerns though.
    first of all there are a lot of high gloss highlights in here, especially the guns are pretty hard to read because of that.
    second all of the wear and tear is spread out pretty evenly.
    i think it would look better if it would fade out from front to back, since when you are driving most of the impact is clearly on the front, while in the back, there should rather be some dirt gathering up.

also handoperated tools like guns, tend to have a different look concerning wear, with way smaller, subtle scratches, rather then big chuncks of chromatic, polished of edges.

i think a bit more dirt gather for the AO might go a long way too.
  • BeardyDan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for feedback, I will try my best to get these changes incorporated in time, however obviously the priority at the moment is finishing off the scene itself and getting Tim's character in and looking good. In regards to reflections/gloss specifically, a lot of it is to do with the lighting setup in those shots (especially the back light being far too bright) it'll actually look a lot more balanced in the final submission purely because of the lighting changes. I think to add to your feedback I'll also tone down the chrome on the grill and swap out the engine material to a to a toned down, dirty brushed metal as they've been bothering me a lot recently.
  • BeardyDan
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick update, Tim has sent me his character, he is off for the weekend so it'll be me doing the updates and submission now. I've spent today tweaking the car textures and setting up my scene in Toolbag 2. Just the first scene so far, but the second uses the same assets as a base but will be our action shot.

EDIT: Before I forget, here's a quick and dirty shot of the high poly props:

PB_PropsHP_Danny_zps5aec0652.jpg~original

Scene 01 WIP:

PETBLO_KaiserFaust_Scene01WIP_01_zps3878b7d7.jpg~original

PETBLO_KaiserFaust_Scene01WIP_02_zpsb8f373df.jpg~original

PETBLO_KaiserFaust_Scene01WIP_03_zpsbd511c56.jpg~original
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    mhmhmhmmhmhmh the render looks very flat to me, might want to tone down the ambient a bit?

also the streetlight should function more as an accent, rather then the main light source, as its a pointlight thats very close to the scene.

the mainlight usually works best with a directional light, that is comming from somewhere in the front, like the sun for example.

right now the scene doesnt look like day or night, since the lamp is too bright for daytime, and the ambient is too bright for nighttime.

i`d recommend you google a photograph or take a movie scene you like for reference and try to recreate the lighting in there.