Home Quixel Megascans

nDo2 - Color Mask Generator Script

Hi all. I have been using the new QUIXEL Suite a lot lately. I got sick of creating color masks manually from nDo2 documents, so I automated it:

transfer_large.png

There is a YouTube tutorial that demonstrates the script here:

http://youtu.be/Yi__eTHSQ2A

I use CS6, so I honestly have no idea if it will run in older versions. If you have issues, let me know and I will see what I can do to help.

You can grab it from my site at http://www.polybend.com/colormaskgenerator.php

I will probably be updating it as time goes on. Let me know if you have requests/issues.

Have fun!

Edit:

Some users have noted issues. Please make sure you are using your nDo2 project PSD. It will not work on a single layer normal. It has to be a nDo2 project with the original layers/groups.

Replies

• Fridock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fridock polycounter lvl 11
    not working in Photoshop CS6 (extended x64) =(
  • PolyBend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not working in Photoshop CS6 (extended x64) =(

That is the exact version I use. What error does it give you?
  • Fridock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When opening it using Scripts menu it gives Error 1302: No such element
    and when i opening it from explorer it does nothing but creating a new "ColorMap" document with the same inputted normal map
  • Fridock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When opening it using Scripts menu it gives Error 1302: No such element
    and when i opening it from explorer it does nothing but creating a new "ColorMap" document with the same inputted normal map

I'll try to run it on a different PC to see if it works there, but it's for tommorow
  • PolyBend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for testing it FridockShir.

I am guessing it is that the document you are using does not match the QUIXEL Suite nDo2 structure 100%. The way photoshop scripting works, it is heavily reliant on specific hierarchies of layers and group names.

Is there a chance you could send the document you are using to tim@polybend.com? I can troubleshoot it that way. Worst case, just take a screenshot of your layers menu and send me that if possible.
  • harricool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm getting the same error in both 32 and 64 bit cs6. Should the normal map be generated only using nDO2 to use this script?
  • PolyBend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harricool wrote: »
    i'm getting the same error in both 32 and 64 bit cs6

Yes, it is designed to use nDo2's normal map generation process. To make it work on any normal map would be... Well lets just say I would be selling that software.

I am attempting to track down the issue, but it is working on all 3 of my testing machines and all of my documents. Can you send me, tim@polybend.com, a screenshot of your layer hierarchy or the document itself?

Are you using the QUIXEL Suite or standalone nDo2?
  • Fridock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohhh i think i know where the issue is, i tried a simple PNG file of some normal map, but i guess it needs a working project document, with layers and stuff, right?
  • PolyBend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohhh i think i know where the issue is, i tried a simple PNG file of some normal map, but i guess it needs a working project document, with layers and stuff, right?

Yes it does, I guess I should specify that somewhere. I need the working document so that I can dissect the layers. Sorry about that. Hopefully that fixes your issue.
  • PolyBend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I added annotations to the video and edited the OP to reflect that you need to use an nDo2 project PSD. Sorry about any confusion.
  • naturon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks mate,
    Looks like its gonna be very useful. Cheers!
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks a lot for sharing this! Just the other day, I was going through that less than sexy process myself :)
  • PolyBend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for sharing this! Just the other day, I was going through that less than sexy process myself :)

I hope it helps.

If anyone has older version of Photoshop, please let me know if it works or if you have issues. I would like to make this script support as many versions as possible.
  • Jantomet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off - a big thanx for making this, I had the same idea, but no skills for making it :-)

I´ve tried it in PS CC on Win64 and it works nicely, with one exception:

- every time I have layers in my normal map that go inwards (aka Slant Down)- in the color ID image these areas mask will have an gradient, and not be a flat mask. Copies of the same layer in NDO that slant up will show up with nice flat masks!

Is this working as intendet - or am I doing something wrong?
  • PolyBend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jantomet wrote: »
    First off - a big thanx for making this, I had the same idea, but no skills for making it :-)

I´ve tried it in PS CC on Win64 and it works nicely, with one exception:

- every time I have layers in my normal map that go inwards (aka Slant Down)- in the color ID image these areas mask will have an gradient, and not be a flat mask. Copies of the same layer in NDO that slant up will show up with nice flat masks!

Is this working as intendet - or am I doing something wrong?

Assuming you are talking about the Slant option in nDo2, both slant down and slant up should produce flat masks. They have in all my tests.

Are you trying to convert a section of a nDo2 document that you made with a gradient in the first place? That won't work, it is a known issue I am working on a solution for.

Here is a CS6 test file that contains slant up and down. I used it in my videos: http://polybend.com/public/files/Normals.psd

If you can use that and let me know your results. That might help.
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    this rules! will be trying out
  • CrayGoats
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrayGoats polycounter lvl 2
    This is actually what I needed right now. Thanks so much dude. Once I've installed and given it a whirl, I'll leave any feedback that I can.
  • Jantomet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx PolyBend I will try it out with your test file asap.

Cheers
    PolyBend wrote: »
    Assuming you are talking about the Slant option in nDo2, both slant down and slant up should produce flat masks. They have in all my tests.

Are you trying to convert a section of a nDo2 document that you made with a gradient in the first place? That won't work, it is a known issue I am working on a solution for.

Here is a CS6 test file that contains slant up and down. I used it in my videos: http://polybend.com/public/files/Normals.psd

If you can use that and let me know your results. That might help.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for making this, was considering add similar functionality to one of my own scripts, but no sense in recreating the wheel, and yours works perfect for me so far.
  • MooseCommander
    You should get in touch with Teddy to get this implemented in nDo as native functionality. I know it was on his list of stuff to integrate based on suggestions.
  • PolyBend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should get in touch with Teddy to get this implemented in nDo as native functionality. I know it was on his list of stuff to integrate based on suggestions.

Good point. I uploaded this script to help people, so I have no issue at all with QUIXEL using anything from it. Even if only a small section of the code saves them some time. I have emailed their support and let them know... any idea on how to get in touch with Teddy more directly. Their whole team is, understandably, super busy at the moment.

In the meantime, I have been looking into ways to handle the gradient issues. I have some ideas. I need to do some more testing, but hopefully it won't be too long before I have an update posted.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    PolyBend wrote: »
    any idea on how to get in touch with Teddy more directly.

I will make Teddy aware of this :)
    Hopefully this can get implemented. It is such a savior :)
  • surferHalo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is really helpful, I think it should integrate within the NDO.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't worry PolyBend Teddy is well aware of this thread and will probably comment soon. Just been super busy trying to nail down some stability stuff and a new release. This setup though is something that has been on our roadmap for ndo but you beat us to the punch which is cool. We are going to be leveling up the color id system and this will be a great addition for sure. Thanks!
  • TK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TK3D polycounter lvl 12
    Very helpful, thanks a lot!
    Only idea I have to make it even better would be the posibility to ignore hidden layers. That way, you wouldn't have to delete layers like an UV overlay etc.
    When I use your script while still having that layer, it runs infinitely, creating a massive amount of color layers. Besides that, very nice script!

Edit: Some more info, I used the Quixel Suite's nDo2 and the UV overlay has been generated inside Maya's UV texture editor with the UV snapshot feature (PNG). Also, PS CC 14.0 x64.
  • PolyBend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Sorry, been super busy, crunch times at work. I have not abandoned the project. I will look into the requested features as soon as I get some free time.
  • PolyBend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TK3D wrote: »
    Very helpful, thanks a lot!
    Only idea I have to make it even better would be the posibility to ignore hidden layers. That way, you wouldn't have to delete layers like an UV overlay etc.
    When I use your script while still having that layer, it runs infinitely, creating a massive amount of color layers. Besides that, very nice script!

Edit: Some more info, I used the Quixel Suite's nDo2 and the UV overlay has been generated inside Maya's UV texture editor with the UV snapshot feature (PNG). Also, PS CC 14.0 x64.

Thanks for the suggestion. I added the feature you requested. There is now an option to ignore hidden folders. It has been updated on my site.
  • SwiftHatchet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SwiftHatchet polycounter lvl 3
    Sweet! Exactly what I was looking for this morning. Most excellent and very much appreciated!
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    This looks awesome! I will be giving this a try very soon.
  • TK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TK3D polycounter lvl 12
    First time someone implements a feature I asked for :) Thanks a lot! I just noticed the update and it saved me a lot of time at my gamejam last weekend. Works perfectly now and is just a must-have for working in nDo2.