Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Garden

invaderZim
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
invaderZim polycounter lvl 6
Been working on little garden, whilst learning unreal 4 (never used unreal before now).

Firstly, I don't like the water in the scene, I'll look into some water guides next. Also I forgot to turn the lights off as they've got emission from the texture, it was a night scene but I changed it to a dusk scene, figured Ill just sort that all out once I got some feedback in :)

Anyways slam away on it. I'm braced.

180614garden.png

foliage.png

rocksnstuff.png

woods.png

Replies

• invaderZim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    250614feedback.png

updated from feedback, gone over redone the lighting, got the SSS working, tweaked a bunch of the map values to even them out more. (mostly AO maps). Adjusted some diff brightness maps, and moved some of the props around. Also changed the water by taking it from one of the pre-made shaders in the cave scene. added in some post processing effects and linked up the lighting to the sky.
  • robschia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing, but I think that those lights ruin the beautiful scene
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Siagree about the lights ruining the scene, but they definitely aren't helping. I'd turn them off for the day, then do a second lighting pass with cool blue lights coming from a moon and warm yellow lights coming from the fixtures.
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed on the lights. Too harsh and too strong. If you are really gung-ho on having them on I'd recommend finding a way to soften them.

Some of the grass and leaves might be a bit too saturated but it could be the lighting, hard to say.

Otherwise, It's starting to look nice indeed.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    The new lighting is much better. Also the AO improvement was definitely a big help. This one is sitting better in 3d space. I feel that the green moss texture on the fences in the back are pretty generic ... I can tell they were painted on with a brush.
  • Mis-Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mis-Fire polycounter lvl 3
    Looks sweet!

ScottMichaelH right, the moss on the fence looks quite flat. You could try giving the fence a similar treatment as the bench, contain it around the base and behind the Ivy, but scale it back if you want a newer looking fence.
  • invaderZim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    290614garden5.png

Thank you for the feedbacks eveyrone, I wanted to keep the lights in mostly to just have an excuse to splash blue across a predominately orange scene. I tried a night scene, but I have to go crazy with the lights to make it look correct (and there were still dark patches) and a day time scene gives even less reason to have multi colours going around, that's why I chose the sunset period.

Reduced the intensity of the blue lights and changed the shadow properties of the lights so they now look far softer. Also adjusted the instancing on the grass so the shadows work better in there. I could reduce the instancing, but that in turn kills my pc's frame rate.

Then added the same moss to the fence as for some reason or other I used a different one, but I didn't like how it looked against the niceness of the fence, so I plonked some wooden panels in front the largest patch to remove attention from it.

Feel this is getting there really. Might call it a day for now and return to it once I've learnt unreal better. (i say might, something probably will change when i go tweak more things) ^_^