Home General Discussion

Beefcake laptop?

Ok, so it seems like I burn through laptops about once a year these days. I need something as small, light, and powerful as possible. It also needs a very good quality (by laptop standards) screen, as I use it mostly for processing photos in lightroom. So IPS or equivalent.

Previously I had:
Lenovo X220 - awesome size, good screen, but a bit old and slow

Currently have:
Sager NP7330 - i7-4700HQ, 16GB ram, 765M, etc. This thing is fast as hell, but the build quality is awful, it gets hot and the fan profile is really horrendous (it will jump to full on randomly under low load, and there is no way to adjust it). But the real problem is that it is falling apart (monitor hinge popped out and broke when I tried to jam it back in, gah) and the screen has a persistent defect that is getting worse with time.

So I would like something different, preferably as fast as the Sager, but built better and if possible even lighter.

Requirements:
14" or smaller
4 pounds or lighter
Screen: IPS or equiv, good color reproduction a plus, 1080P or higher ideal
i7, quad core! ideal something in the 8000+ range as I don't really want to move to a slower system.
GPU, dedicated would be nice 740m or better, but not essential, I don't do much 3d on this machine and Lightroom doesn't use the GPU (though PS does so it would be nice).
Battery life: don't care, rarely used outside the house/hotels on travel
Price: $1000-1500, but not really a hard budget (if awesome, will pay)
SSD: 240GB or bigger, secondard HDD option would be good as well.

I've already cut the MBP 13 (too slow) and 15 (too big).

So far the only thing I've found which seems to fit is the Gigabyte P34G, but reviews note similar heat/fan issues as with the Sager (probably can't be avoided in this spec/size) and build quality concerns.

I'm thinking maybe I should just tough it out with the Sager for a year or two more until performance/size ratio gets even better.

Suggestions?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I pointed my students here, the sidebar on the right has some suggestions. You can also poll people there for ideas, usually answered by IT guys who have a bit of experience buying and testing various machines for real-world use.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/SuggestALaptop/
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Have you looked at the Acer Aspire S7 series? 2560 x 1440 IPS.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric: Thanks, will look
    Zac: Yeah, unfortunately it has a wimpy I5. Edit: looks like it can be spec'd with an I7 4500U as well, but that isn't much better, still only a dual core, not a proper quad core I7. :(
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Sager NP7338/Clevo W230ss. (Would link to Sager website but it's down right now).

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7338-clevo-w230ss-p-6992.html

13 in screen
    865m
    i7 quad

Hmmmm. Reading over your specs again, it does have a matte screen, which is nice for photo processing, but I'm not sure of the color accuracy of the screen.

Edit: Was curious so I decided to look @ a review. CPU almost 100C under load 0_0.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Clevo-W230SS-Schenker-XMG-P304-Barebones-Notebook.113676.0.html
    Speaking of components: While the Core i7-4810MQ almost reaches 100 °C (212 °F) under maximum load, the GPU levels off at 88 °C (190.4 °F). These results should be a bit higher during the summer.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    I have the first gen Gigabyte P34G and I love it. Looks like the refreshed version 2 models are out or will be out soon:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4927#kf

The display is great, it's SSD based, 14", pretty light. Only downfalls are that the fans get pretty loud when you're pushing it hard and the battery life isn't all that great, but those are pretty much known tradeoffs for cramming all of that in a 14" chassis.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni: I have the sager already (well the previous gen) and its falling apart/has other issues. Looks like the same chassis just the newer generation cpu/gpu.

Harbinger: Cool, how do you find the build quality? I read that the overall build seemed meh and the keyboard was pretty bendy. How about the touchpad? Any more info (links etc) on the gen2? - edit: doh, see link now, thanks!
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    beefaroni: I have the sager already (well the previous gen) and its falling apart/has other issues. Looks like the same chassis just the newer generation cpu/gpu.

Harbinger: Cool, how do you find the build quality? I read that the overall build seemed meh and the keyboard was pretty bendy. How about the touchpad? Any more info (links etc) on the gen2? - edit: doh, see link now, thanks!

Oh my bad. I read I7 as 17".
  • elGuapo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little heavier than you are looking for, but seems solid otherwise:
    Lenovo Y410p Laptop
    http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y410p/?sb=:000001C9:0001046A:
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elGuapo wrote: »
    A little heavier than you are looking for, but seems solid otherwise:
    Lenovo Y410p Laptop
    http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y410p/?sb=:000001C9:0001046A:

Yeah quite a bit heavier than what I'm looking for (ideal is about 3.5 pounds), and TN panel. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    You'll have to get a bigger laptop if you want to put a quad-core i7 in it and not have it run at the boiling point under load. That's just the way things are right now. I wish I could give you better news, but I can't.

If you want reasonable temperatures in a 14-inch laptop, get a two-core processor. If you want reasonable temperatures and a quad-core processor, get something that's larger and learn to flaunt how big your laptop is in public. Can't have both.
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    Razer blade might tick all the boxes except price and weight. that said if your looking for portable powerhouse i don't know if it can be beat. it is very expensive however but you can at least look at it for a baseline of the kind of things that other pc manufacturers might provide

www.razerzone.com
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You'll have to get a bigger laptop if you want to put a quad-core i7 in it and not have it run at the boiling point under load. That's just the way things are right now. I wish I could give you better news, but I can't.

If you want reasonable temperatures in a 14-inch laptop, get a two-core processor. If you want reasonable temperatures and a quad-core processor, get something that's larger and learn to flaunt how big your laptop is in public. Can't have both.

Yep, that's the conclusion I've come to. I'm not willing to go big/heavy so I guess I'll just have to live with hot pants.
    3devo wrote: »
    Razer blade might tick all the boxes except price and weight. that said if your looking for portable powerhouse i don't know if it can be beat. it is very expensive however but you can at least look at it for a baseline of the kind of things that other pc manufacturers might provide

www.razerzone.com

Yeah, I looked at the blade, the older version has a terrible TN screen, and the new one is retarded expensive, about $700-1000 more than a similarly speced p34g. If it weighed 2lbs I would probably fork over the cash, but I'm pretty sure that's physically impossible. :poly121:

Reading more reviews the p34g is looking more and more attractive. I'm heading to Japan for a few weeks this fall so shaving a pound of weight off from the Sager (with no performance loss) seems mighty attractive at this point.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    p34g is probably fine. Just make sure to get the kind with the 860M rather than the 765M.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Huh, the Alienware 14" offers a IPS screen. Wouda thunk it?
    http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-14/pd.aspx

Yes, they are overpriced, but the build quality isnt that bad. My Alienware 13 R3 is still my homecomputer.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    What is with people breaking laptops I have used mine for 4 years with regular use at it was cheap so build quality is not amazing and it has not broken in any way.

Are you rough with your laptop that may be a reason im quite gentle with mine.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    There's also this:

http://www.aorus.com/x3.aspx

It's just been released, and it's Gigabytes new "gaming" range of laptops, specs look pretty good, and the review of the 17" version, the x7, isn't too bad, it's reportedly going to retale for about $2000.

Also, good graphics card and CPU, and insanse screen resolution (on the 13.9" which is basically 14"). Not many reviews as it's just been announced, but it seems to be a real powerhouse.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »

I think it's fairly solid. It's not a MacBook Pro level quality, but I have no complaints. It's all fairly high quality feeling plastics. The keyboard feels fine to me, if it flexes while I type I either don't notice or it's not enough for me to care. The touchpad works well, but to be honest I hate all touchpads since I do 3D work on it and don't use it too much. I keep a small Logitech wireless mouse with me. The USB receiver is small enough that I can just leave it plugged into the laptop and the laptop still fits in the padded sleeve.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Huh, the Alienware 14" offers a IPS screen. Wouda thunk it?
    http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-14/pd.aspx

Yes, they are overpriced, but the build quality isnt that bad. My Alienware 13 R3 is still my homecomputer.

Yeah, looked at that one, only problem is it weighs a bit over 6 pounds.
    Robeomega wrote: »
    What is with people breaking laptops I have used mine for 4 years with regular use at it was cheap so build quality is not amazing and it has not broken in any way.

Are you rough with your laptop that may be a reason im quite gentle with mine.

Naa, I'm not rough on it, I sit on my couch and use it every night, it rarely leaves the house outside of traveling a few times a year. Though it may have gotten roughed up in a checked bag on a flight recently, the hinge popped not long after that. But even with normal use I've had the back panel pop on the Sager for no apparent reason.
    There's also this:

http://www.aorus.com/x3.aspx

It's just been released, and it's Gigabytes new "gaming" range of laptops, specs look pretty good, and the review of the 17" version, the x7, isn't too bad, it's reportedly going to retale for about $2000.

Also, good graphics card and CPU, and insanse screen resolution (on the 13.9" which is basically 14"). Not many reviews as it's just been announced, but it seems to be a real powerhouse.

Cool, I'll check that out. Looks really similar to the new Razer Blade (even the same screen?). Looks like the 13.3 is only 4.2 pounds, which isn't bad.

The super beefy video cards in these thing are overkill for me though, it would be nice to have a dedicated GPU, but I don't need a powerhouse. I guess I'm weird, I want a quad core I7 and a wimpy GPU.
    Harbinger wrote: »
    I think it's fairly solid. It's not a MacBook Pro level quality, but I have no complaints. It's all fairly high quality feeling plastics. The keyboard feels fine to me, if it flexes while I type I either don't notice or it's not enough for me to care. The touchpad works well, but to be honest I hate all touchpads since I do 3D work on it and don't use it too much. I keep a small Logitech wireless mouse with me. The USB receiver is small enough that I can just leave it plugged into the laptop and the laptop still fits in the padded sleeve.

Thanks. I actually read a bunch more reviews and watched a few videos and I didn't see much concern about the build, other than it being good but not exceptional, which is probably fine.

Looking at everything again, I'm actually thinking about the MBP 15 again. It's one of the few that has a quadcore I7, but good cooling and battery life (mainly due to the normal GPU). Its also only 4.2lbs, and actually takes up less cubic space than the p34g. Damn, thought I was able to cross this off the list.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    I've been eying a Surface Pro 3 as a tablet/coding on the go device. Think its IPS panel. Its a 12 inch and can be put with an i7 and max storage of about 512 though quite pricy.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been eying a Surface Pro 3 as a tablet/coding on the go device. Think its IPS panel. Its a 12 inch and can be put with an i7 and max storage of about 512 though quite pricy.

Yeah I looked at the Surface Pro 3, and sort of want one, but I don't really think it would be suitable for processing lots of photos etc in LR. Plus its only a dual core i7 unfortunately. Really cool otherwise though.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Just a heads up about the Surface Pro 3. Just saw this.

Adobe

Photoshop CC 14.2.1 x64 - runs (requires N-Trig Wintab driver)

Pixologic

Sculptris - no pressure
    ZBrush 4R6 - no pressure

From http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2014/5/29/surface-pro-3-what-runs-what-doesnt
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    I don't have many specific suggestions, just wanted to drop in a website I use often.

http://www.dealzon.com/computers/laptops

They aggregate deals into an easy to read list. Even if you don't find the exact laptop you want, they often post coupon codes that can be applied to various builds of similar laptops. If you find one you want you may get lucky from here and save a decent chunk of change. Good luck.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I've been trying to figure out what kind of beefy laptop I want to get as well, and was also considering the P34G.

However, videos I have seen show the fan is crazy (as you mentioned).

Here is a video I watched covering it:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nY2NFSpv8E"]GigaByte P34G Laptop Really Loud Fan Noise - YouTube[/ame]

I want something with similar spec and is also thin, but from what I've been reading, thin laptops are usually crazy loud. Even the Macbook Air is considered very loud.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did some more research and found that lightroom rarely uses more than like 35% of my i7 in my Sager laptop (unless I do something silly like import and export images at the same time), so I figured I could get by with an I5.

I ordered the Macbook Pro 13 the other day and now I feel dirty. Build quality, and screen/color accuracy/native OS support for DPI scaling is what won me over.
    I want something with similar spec and is also thin, but from what I've been reading, thin laptops are usually crazy loud. Even the Macbook Air is considered very loud.

Yeah, it seems like cramming a quadcore and a high end mobile GPU into a 13"-ish form factor will do that. The Razer Blade has issues with heat/fans as well.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm actually eyeing this one, Lenovo Y50. The current one has pretty much everything I'm looking for.

~5-6 lbs
    15"
    i7 4700
    gtx860
    16gigs of RAM
    512 SSD

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50/?sb=:000001C9:00011F7F:

This is the 2nd or 3rd from their priciest option. Model 59416739

How is the build quality / service / display quality with Lenovo?

Also, is it safe to reformat my HD and install Windows 7? I'd like to wipe out any extra crap they install and start completely fresh.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm actually eyeing this one, Lenovo Y50. The current one has pretty much everything I'm looking for.

~5-6 lbs
    15"
    i7 4700
    gtx860
    16gigs of RAM
    512 SSD

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50/?sb=:000001C9:00011F7F:

This is the 2nd or 3rd from their priciest option. Model 59416739

How is the build quality / service / display quality with Lenovo?

Also, is it safe to reformat my HD and install Windows 7? I'd like to wipe out any extra crap they install and start completely fresh.

I think build and service is generally good with Lenovo. Display will vary by model though, it looks like the Y50 has a TN panel, so I would try to play with one in store first if you can.

You should be able to do a fresh install of Win 7, yeah.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How can you find out what kind of panel a laptop uses? Ideally I'm looking for an IPS, correct? This will mostly be my mobile work station.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How can you find out what kind of panel a laptop uses? Ideally I'm looking for an IPS, correct? This will mostly be my mobile work station.

Yes, an IPS (generally e-IPS) or equivilent (I've seen some IPS-type panels lists as AVHA, I think LG specifically makes IPS panels).

Really, what you want is to avoid TN, as they often have poor viewing angles and color accuracy. Recent quality TN panels have better viewing angles side to side, but still poor up/down.

Generally just search for "model X" + "panel type" or "ips" or "tn" to figure it out. Luckily there has been a lot of IPS panels on the market in laptops and tablets these days.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just talked to support and they said their best Y50 uses an LG IPS panel. It's the UHD one with the crazy resolution.

Display:15.6'' UHD LED Glossy (3840x2160)

I think I will get this one if you say the build quality of Lenovo is good!

Pre shipping and tax it's only $1650. Sounds like a complete steal when you compare it to the Razer Blade Pro 17" and MSI GS70 Stealth Pro (the other two I was looking at).

Trade off is an 860m instead of an 870m, but the display sounds legit.

Part of me also prefers the 15" to 17" for something I want in my lap. My wife's MBP is 15" and I like it.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50/?sb=:000001C9:0001225D:#customize
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Isaiah - I have the previous generation but similar construction. The build quality is generally good I havent had a major problem.

A few issues that I can nitpick are the screen can be a little wobbly if not open at its maximum and its very heavy. Other than that I don't regret my decision at all. Also don't forget if you still have your passport card you can get some discounts
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have no direct experience with super high res displays on laptops, but I'd be wary of a 15.6" screen with a res of 3840x2160. Many apps and even Windows 8 itself aren't fully built to do proper DPI scaling yet, so you may be stuck with tiny UI's and tiny text. Also, that's a ton more pixels to push on a laptop GPU, which aren't nearly as strong as desktop GPU's. So, if you're planning on doing 3D work at native resolutions you might have reduced performance.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah: The real tradeoff when you get into the 15" class is the weight, 5.3lbs is quite a lot if its a laptop you intend to travel with, though not so much if you're just going to sit on the couch with it. 17s and higher are just totally impractical unless its a desktop replacement. The Razer Blade is about 4.2 lbs by comparison, but again when you pack that much into a tight space you're going to have heat issues, maybe the Y50 is better in that regard.

When I was looking into the panel type for the Y50 I found a thread somewhere and someone had called support and they initially said IPS, but then talked to someone else and clarified that it was TN. Not sure how accurate that is, it seems even Lenovo doesn't know which panel they are using. However, most of those super high res screens are IPS so probably not much to worry about.

Though, like Harbinger says, windows/windows apps do not have very good support for DPI scaling. That was one of the biggest reasons I went for the MBP, Retina screens have been out for a couple years now and there is better support for them.

Actually I'm curious to know if anyone has a super high res screen on a windows box. I'm just going off of what i've read, but what is the main issue? Do UI elements appear really small (that would suck) with unsupported apps? Or does the UI just get blurry or something (much less of an issue)?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah this is more of a desktop replacement than a mobile station to bring with me everywhere. I do plan on working on the go every now and then, but I'll primarily be working at a table with it.

What's annoying is how difficult it is to find a powerful laptop that actually uses an IPS panel.

Most beefy laptops use TN panels because they're used for gaming.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I feel your pain, when looking for laptops this usually means cutting 98% of them from the search due to TN panels, for me at least as I do primarily photo editing on my laptop. These days there are a lot more IPS panels though.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regarding weight: 5-6lbs doesn't bother me. My wife's MBP 2012 15" is 5.6lbs. I would not want to go any heavier, but 5-6 is fine for me.

I don't really care about running the monitor at that high of a resolution anyways, I just mostly care that it is an IPS panel. They also told me LG manufactured it, which further suggests it really is an IPS panel.

I could just go into my display settings and drop it to 1920x1080, unless there is something about changing laptop resolutions I am unaware of?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, as far as I have seen changing resolution is exactly the same as doing it on a desktop.

If there is no drawback to setting my resolution at 1920x1080 on a screen natively set higher, then it seems that Lenovo is the perfect buy.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generally you should run any LCD at its native res, or exactly 1/4th or so, which in your lucky case would be exactly 1080P. So you shouldn't have any problems there if you need to do that. Its possible non-supported apps with just run at 4x mode (1 pixel for every 4 in the ui) which again wouldn't be the worst case. I'll actually be really curious to know if thats how it works.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you mean by "unsupported apps"?
  • EarthQuake
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    anyone try running any 3d apps on the new surface pro 3? do they work well or is it still necessary to get a laptop with a dedicated 3d card in it
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Specs wise the surface 3 is comparable to a low to mid-range laptop, so you should be able to run most 3d apps but I don't imagine work on really high poly stuff for instance.

Though you'll probably want to add a keyboard and a mouse, and the foldup surface keyboard is not very good, so if you want to do 3d work on it frequently I can't see why you wouldn't want to go with a laptop instead.

Specs: i3 – 4020Y - 1.50GHz with Intel HD graphics 4200 I5 - 4300U - 1.6GHz with Intel Turbo Boost up to 2.90GHz with Intel HD Graphics 4400 i7 – 4650U – 1.7GHz Intel Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz with Intel HD graphics 5000

So
    i3 version = intel 4200
    i5 = intel 4400
    i7 = intel 5000

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

The intel 5000 looks around as fast as an old Nvidia 8800 or so, somewhere in that range which is not bad at all when you consider the form factor.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it seems the major drawback to those Lenovo Y50 laptops is they only have 1 video out (HDMI). They do not have a mini video port.

One option I saw online was to get a USB 3.0 to HDMI via external video card adapter. A simple HDMI splitter wouldn't work because splitters only duplicate the picture.

http://sewelldirect.com/Minideck-30-USB-30-to-HDMI-Display-Adapter-.asp

Anyone ever used one of these things?

I plan on using my laptop with two extra 24" monitors.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I have the Lenovo Y500 from a couple years ago. I extend the desktop out to a 2nd monitor using a HDMI-to-DVI cable, works fine for me.

The laptop's display definitely isn't the best, but it's not terrible either. There's a sweet spot vertically, horizontal isn't a problem since I'm typing on it so I'm always in the middle.

The build quality is great, but it's a bit of a fingerprint magnet. Moved this around a lot last year, teaching. No problems.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023104&p_id=2404&seq=1&format=2
    This is the cable. The monitor I'm using with it is only 1680x1050, but it was a free hand-me-down so I have no complaints.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info! The screen on the model I'm planning on getting is an IPS by LG, so it's good quality. Their other versions of the Y50 are TN panels.

I'm not expecting a 2nd monitor to be an issue. My concern is the 3rd monitor via the USB > HDMI adapter I linked.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have any experience with getting dual monitor output from a laptop, but what it really seems like you want is a workstation, in which case I would recommend not getting a laptop. Bear in mind the 860 in the Y50 is the mobile version, which is about as fast as a 465 or a 560 non-ti, a very good card for a laptop but a low-mid range card for a workstation.

It really depends on what you're doing, but if you want to run high end content creation apps out to 2/3 monitors, it would really seem like a PC would be more suitable, and then a smaller 13" or so laptop or even a tablet for when you're on the go.

On the other hand, If you're watching movies, sketching, and doing light to moderate 3d work its probably fine, provided you can find a way to do dual output.

Maybe sit down and come up with an estimate of how often you will use the system as a stationary desktop hooked up to multiple monitors, vs the time you'll spend taking it out of the house.

----

Update on my end, my MBP 13 arrived yesterday, initial thoughts:

Performance wise its pretty much perfect for lightroom/photoshop. The PCI-E SSD is actually noticeably faster than the SSD in my Sager for disk heavy purpose (which is a good portion of processing photos), while some of the CPU heavy tasks are a little slower. Overall performance is a wash and it keeps up well with the Sager.

Size, weight, build, and screen quality are all fantastic. Fan profile is much better than the Sager, the MPB tends to run a bit hot to keep the fan noise very low, but I found a nice program to set a min fan speed when it gets hot. This is a huge improvement over the Sager which was virtually always hot AND loud (and the fan would randomly shoot from low to high and back and forth, really annoying).

Biggest issue is OSX, I'm getting used to it after making a variety of changes to make it feel a little more windows like, but it definitely has that "baby's first OS" feel to it. Actually it feels like sort of a mix between windows and android. I'm primarily going to use it for lightroom/ps and web browsing though, so no need for a super customizable/powerful OS, so I think I'll be fine with it after I get a bit more accustomed to it.

But yeah, smaller, lighter, feels much better built, better screen, better battery life, runs cooler and quieter, and performance is about even for my use. Hooray!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad you're happy with yours!

I will be primarily be using Photoshop and Unity and lowpoly work in Maya.

I don't plan on using Z-brush or working with high-poly models in Maya.

If the specs suffice for good file handling and performance in Photoshop, that is my primary concern.

16gigs of RAM seems it'd be alright for that. My current desktop has 8gigs, so the laptop would be 2x the RAM I currently have. I'd prefer 24-32 for more longevity, but there are very few laptops that use that much RAM (and they weigh 10+ lbs).

Also the 860m is likely better than my current desktop, which uses a GTX 275.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-860M-vs-GeForce-GTX-275

Comparing the Y50 to my current desktop, the laptop seems like an upgrade across the board.

Getting a new desktop would definitely be cheaper and it'd be way more powerful, but I don't think it'll actually be necessary for what kind of work I expect to do (low poly, hand painted stuff).

My current desktop is like 5-6 years old. I believe my main goal is to get a premium laptop that far exceeds my current desktop (which, for me, does a great job already).
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad you're happy with yours!

I will be primarily be using Photoshop and Unity and lowpoly work in Maya.

I don't plan on using Z-brush or working with high-poly models in Maya.

If the specs suffice for good file handling and performance in Photoshop, that is my primary concern.

16gigs of RAM seems it'd be alright for that. My current desktop has 8gigs, so the laptop would be 2x the RAM I currently have. I'd prefer 24-32 for more longevity, but there are very few laptops that use that much RAM (and they weigh 10+ lbs).

Also the 860m is likely better than my current desktop, which uses a GTX 275.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-860M-vs-GeForce-GTX-275

Comparing the Y50 to my current desktop, the laptop seems like an upgrade across the board.

Getting a new desktop would definitely be cheaper and it'd be way more powerful, but I don't think it'll actually be necessary for what kind of work I expect to do (low poly, hand painted stuff).

My current desktop is like 5-6 years old. I believe my main goal is to get a premium laptop that far exceeds my current desktop (which, for me, does a great job already).

Ah ok cool, yeah that all makes sense, and yes the 860m is quite a bit faster than the 275, and for lowpoly stuff even running a few monitors it should be more than capable.
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    so i ordered the lenovo y50 1920x1080 and i'll be returning it. the display panel is quite bad. the viewing angle and contrast are quite bad and it makes my eyes hurt a bit from looking at it. it almost feels cloudy with weird variation in values across the monitor. i had never seen or used a TN panel, but now i know what the fuss is about. it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal if my eyes weren't so sensitive to it. it probably also doesn't help that i've consistently worked on above average monitors for years

too bad because the hardware inside is quite nice, i just need to find a decently powered laptop with a decent screen now
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    @ZippZopp,

I posted this in the other laptop thread:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231684&cm_re=n550jk-_-34-231-684-_-Product

Asus N550Jk, similar hardware specs to the Lenovo Y50, except it has an IPS screen, I'm picking mine up at the end of the week. It's a little heavier than the Y50, it's 6lbs.