Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

GDI Advanced Guard Tower

This is the GDI Advanced Guard Tower made by Sam Arnold, one of our team's modelers.

I'm hoping to get some opinions and feedback.

v67wyd.jpg

Replies

• djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    Yup, I can see polygons
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Well it's very plain and it's a building
  • Bfranx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Opinions and feedback usually involve telling someone something they don't already know.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Some people apparently don't understand that asking for feedback means you're asking for more than just giving you useless smartass remarks that add absolutely nothing the the conversation. Sorry about that.

Anyway.

At the moment there isn't a lot to critique. This looks a lot like other similar models from Command and Conquer games, so it seems it's going in the right direction. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot else to say because the model is very simple and not very detailed.

Perhaps it would help if you could tell us what sorts of feedback you're looking for. We can't offer you advice on textures at the moment, and you haven't posted any wireframes or concept art.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Bfranx wrote: »
    Opinions and feedback usually involve telling someone something they don't already know.

What were you expecting, there is nothing to critique
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    What were you expecting, there is nothing to critique

Don't make stupid comments maybe?

Bfranx, maybe a good start would be to post concept art and wireframes. At least that way we can get a move on criticism. A single render without much detail can't do too much to help.
  • Bfranx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Some people apparently don't understand that asking for feedback means you're asking for more than just giving you useless smartass remarks that add absolutely nothing the the conversation. Sorry about that.

Anyway.

At the moment there isn't a lot to critique. This looks a lot like other similar models from Command and Conquer games, so it seems it's going in the right direction. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot else to say because the model is very simple and not very detailed.

Perhaps it would help if you could tell us what sorts of feedback you're looking for. We can't offer you advice on textures at the moment, and you haven't posted any wireframes or concept art.

Well I just thought it would be a good idea to post the untextured version before it's textured, and then update the thread later with the textured version.

I'm not entirely sure what sort of feedback I expected to receive, considering the model is rather basic. I suppose the only question I can think to ask would be how accurately the building depicts the actual Advanced Guard Tower.
  • Bfranx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls wrote: »
    Don't make stupid comments maybe?

Bfranx, maybe a good start would be to post concept art and wireframes. At least that way we can get a move on criticism. A single render without much detail can't do too much to help.

Well Sam will have the wireframes, I'll add a few pictures to the thread tomorrow.

For now, I can attach the references we used to make it.
  • TH98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TH98 polycounter lvl 12
    Like others said, there's not much to crit at the moment. BUT I took a look at your game's page and that reveals some things.

1. You're doing a FPS game, and this is supposed to be a large building. It should have way, way more detail. Compare to your humvee model, which is pretty low-detail for a FPS game too but at least it's in the ballpark. Since the building is four times the size of the humvee, it should have a roughly proportional amount of detail, assuming the player is going to get up close to it. Your reference image is tiny and from an ancient game, so you're going to have to design and concept out some detail for that building beforehand. I wouldn't recommend copying the textured detail from the game.

2. You're working in UDK, according to your game page. The first step for a model like this should be do build the hipoly mesh. It looks like your modeler has just jumped straight to the lowpoly. That would be fine pre-2005 or so, but without baked normals on your models, UDK isn't going to do a whole lot for you.

3. This is less about the model, but if if you're soliciting crits without your modeler's knowledge, it's considered pretty bad form. If he does know, it'd be easier if he was here to get the crits in person!

4. There's some smoothed edges that should be hard on that there model.
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    The overall proportions seem too thin. Also your missingm most of the details.
    So try to get the base right then go forward and start creating a high poly and start adding details, then bake the details on the lowpoly.
  • Bfranx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, everyone. The feedback is greatly appreciated and we'll get to work on it right away.
  • Bfranx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, and here are the wireframes.

And you guys are right, from now on I'll have the people on my team post these things directly so that they don't have to go through me for the feedback.
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    You have too much detail in those windows and your satallite. I don't think you really need to have the windows extruding inwards. And you probably don't need that many sides on your satallite.
  • Bfranx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the windows are actually missile hatches, but I will look into cleaning up the number of sides on the satellite.