Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Newb' CHARACTER Challenge | June 2014 | Techno Vikings

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
And it's June! Time sure flies, ain't it. This has been ongoing for 6 months already!!!

Ideally, the goal is to finish a character within the month, all the way to low-poly game engine ready.

Anyone and Everyone can participate.

Join our Google Hangout [Link]
Come say hi and share screen with everyone else while you work !! Awesome way to learn new technique or workflows.
vPljsWL.jpg

The goal of these challenges is to learn as much as possible, and to help others do the same. The rules were designed with this goal in mind, so here they are:
1. Try to leave at least one critique per post. It makes you a better artist if you have the ability to give constructive critiques. Just because you're working on a different concept piece, doesn't mean you can't give feedback to others.

2. Challenge yourself.

3. Your final presentation should be posed and rendered in real-time.

4. Try your best to finish on time.

5. Post your work-in-progress in this thread.

6. Specify your own triangle count and texture size. Be reasonable and stick to your budget. Some suggestions are as follows:
Mobile: 2k Triangles, 512 Maps
Mid Res: 16k Triangles, 1024 Maps
High Res: 32k Triangles, 2048 Maps

7. Similar to #6, you may pick an art-style yourself. You are, after all, an artist too. | Realistic, Stylized, Cartoony, etc |

8. Learn as much as you can. Share what you've learned.

This month we are back to 1 concept piece. You can either make the male or the female character !
The 'Techno Vikings'; Concept Art by Alexander Ovchinnikov.
http://alexart911.deviantart.com/art/technoViking-177528696
technoviking_by_alexart911-d2xp20o.jpg

Good luck. Have fun.

Replies

• Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woo definitely doing this one! Now to choose, male, female, or both. hmmm...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    They're not very viking-y
  • SwdPwnzDggr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SwdPwnzDggr polycounter lvl 7
    This should be my first and hopefully I will be able to keep up with these each month from here on.

Currently gathering ref.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I will do the female char... as usual :P
    Though I wanna do this in polygonal modeling without using ZBrush.
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    Having two concepts similiar to each other like this one is way better than the 3 totally different ones from last month.
    I think I will join in 2 weeks or so, when I have more time again :D
  • absorbentghost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    absorbentghost polycounter lvl 6
    Ive always loved sculpting in zbrush , but for some reason poly modeling give models a much better feel of consistency in terms of the mesh integrity . Im poly modeling this concept in silo .

PyrZern wrote: »
    I guess I will do the female char... as usual :P
    Though I wanna do this in polygonal modeling without using ZBrush.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I guess il do what I always do, join, get a sculpt going and then stop posting because things get in the way, so exited! WHOO :D
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    Guys, I'm so happy about these concepts. I mean really, was looking for sometong in this style for a moment now. I might start it slowly but I intend to finish it even if at the end of the month I half half of a hipoly. Thanks for the concepts.
  • absorbentghost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any hangouts for these?
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    Ah, fightpunch concept didn't win??
    Great concept, but probably not gonna join this one too. So, good luck for everyone who participating.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In hangout now. :) Noob Box-modeling in progress :)
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    shit i really wanna join, but got freelance stuff to do. aw damn
  • Supremacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Supremacey polycounter lvl 4
    Oh my, this thread is so awesome, and I really like the concepts.
    Sorry for exagerating but I'm a newcomer to Polycount, so I hope that explains my enthusiasm.

By the way, I just wanted to ask you a question.
    How do you think is it good idea to try my strenght in this challenge if I am a noob at the begining of the way of mastering the 3d arts, Although it is titled as 'Newb'?
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ Supremacey - The only way is to get good is to practice. Just don't rush it take your time and work for the best quality. Don't worry about finishing it.
  • Supremacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Supremacey polycounter lvl 4
    stevston89 - Thank you for advice. I will try to do my best and share with results :).
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're on the Hangout, other people can give you some help as well. There are some whom I consider veterans with us.
    Ps. Yes, we are still at it.
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going with the female once again this month. Will start roughing in tomorrow, hoping I can actually get some Zbrush practice in at the tail end. Best of luck to everyone!

On a second look we can't see neither of these characters shoes. What type of shoe are people choosing for those attempting the female?
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    Try some Demobaza work or anything in that genre. They match pretty much that postapo style.
    3109217.jpg?1399122295

Demobaza Store
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't gone that far yet. But I plan for some kinda combat boots or something with straps.
  • Noxas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noxas null
    This will be my first challenge. Can't wait to learn from everybody here!!!
  • absorbentghost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Epic Concept , hangout are on people
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    ...with my wang out
  • Ape_Errata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think i'll give the Male a shot.

Mid Res: 16k Triangles, 1024 Maps

Will try my best to finish this month ;)
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Got some block in done today. Came up with a basic design for the boots going to add some filigree or something on the metal toe, and the plastic on the side will be carbon fiber or something similar. Fur will come out the top.blriv2I.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my progress so far.
    I haven't relaxed verticies yet, so it's a little crude. Failed at Shoulder... <_<"
    NTtyhkx.png
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    -attempts to sneak into the thead-
    I want to attempt have a go at this.
    Expect horrifying things. (Especially since the only thing I really have down well is the skull..but heyo lets be masochistic!)
    But I will try.
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    Dimfist: Good start man, a suggestion would be to block out all of your base body first, before you start to add detail. the size and shape of hands and feet can affect the overall look of a character quite a bit if they are off :)
    Her neck looks a little long at the moment and her clavicles look too low. I would also get some ref for the waist area of a lady to help you smooth out and refine the waist shape, it looks a little.... blocky.

PyrZern: I like you get things done quick but you need to slow down man! you are sacrificing quality for speed. Go find a base mesh or build a quick block in with some 3d.sk ref or something similar (take advantage of the see through ZB function or set up transparent planes in max/maya to guide your anatomy), it will really help you get a solid base to build on top of and a much more realistic looking figure. Bad anatomy = bad character, no matter how much detail you add or how fast you add it.

Been looking forward to making something from this concept. I'll post my blockout tonight and lurk in the hangouts when I can!.

Try to get reference for as much of your model as you can, it will save time later. Also, use a basemesh! There are heaps out there!. When making characters, we almost never start from scratch, its just not practical.
  • DonEngland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland polycounter lvl 9
    Dimfist: Nice boot. Is that a base mesh? I could be the angle, but the distance between her clavicle and chin seems a bit too long. Maybe raise the clavicle a bit.

PryZern: I like the quick mesh. The proportions seem a bit different from the reference, I'm looking specifically at the waist and hips. The reference seems to be a bit straighter. It might look good that way after you adjust the shoulder though.

I'm starting on the male. I really liked his face and wanted to start there.
    SMgfCQY.png
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    donengland. No the boot is from scratch in zbrush. I think I spent about two or three hours hanging with Pyr start to finish. That's why her facial features are still so rough. I think you and klown are right her clavicle is a tad low.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DonEngland. You should check out a video called Techno Viking...the dude looks exactly like him and might be a good reference for you. At this angle it looks like your jaw goes up too steeply from the chin to ear. Nice start though!
    @PyrZern. Her shoulders are way to boxy. They protrude out too much and then drop straight down.
  • DonEngland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland polycounter lvl 9
    Dimfist wrote: »
    @DonEngland. You should check out a video called Techno Viking...the dude looks exactly like him and might be a good reference for you. At this angle it looks like your jaw goes up too steeply from the chin to ear. Nice start though!

Haha, I had no idea. That lead me to Keith Jardine, and there is plenty of reference for him. Thanks, I'll update the head tomorrow.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @klown
    Well, damn... And during the hangout I really felt like I had to catch up <_<" I'm technically rebuilding her body now. I did reuse hand basemesh from last month. Though everything else I started from scratch.

@DonEngland & @Dimfist
    Thanks, the shoulders and hips/waist are coming up right after.

@DonEngland Really liking how you started on his head already.

@Dimfist Love the design of her shoe !
  • sbernyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi All, I'm new to Polycount and hoping to contribute this month by completing the female character.
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    @klown
    Well, damn... And during the hangout I really felt like I had to catch up <_<" I'm technically rebuilding her body now. I did reuse hand basemesh from last month. Though everything else I started from scratch.

Keep at it man, you've got a good start, just need some proportion tweaks :)

19md6c.jpg

Started with this head and this body, made a bunch of adjustments then blocking things out. Trying Marvelous Designer for the first time, after figuring out how to more or less us it I think its going to be part of my workflow from now on :D (MD did some weird things around the dark crotch area, dont like it, will just sculpt it)

Everything is just mesh extract and zremesher except the boots (dynamesh) and the pants.

Hangout was empty but being on Aussie time, that is usually the case :/.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sbernyce Welcome aboard! Only thing I can say now is to maybe retopo those clothing items to make them easier to control.
    Klown Very nice start. Pants and boots are looking good already.
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    klown wrote: »

Try to get reference for as much of your model as you can, it will save time later. Also, use a basemesh! There are heaps out there!. When making characters, we almost never start from scratch, its just not practical.

About to get started here, but was curious. As a new artist who still needs to understand and practice the human body is the basemesh still recommended? Sure it will save time, but shouldn't artists who aren't as familiar start from scratch? Or create their own basemesh even? Whats your opinion on that
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess that depends on how new you are. If very new, you could get stuck on that for so long, not getting to learn anything after. Human anatomy is hard to get right. And if it's not right, the clothing built upon it will suffer. Whereas a basemesh will help you will that and you can start working on the clothing. You will still have to do retopology anyway, and that will give you the knowledge of making a basemesh a little bit. But easier because you only get to worry about topology flow, and not but proportion at that point.

@sbernyce Don't forget to dynamesh/zremesh after you do Mask+Extraction. Not sure if she's leaning too forward for not.

@klown Sweet-looking there. Very tempting to try MDesigner for next proj too.

Just woke up, and will be off for lunch with my family. So I will jump on hangout after !
  • Ape_Errata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mr. Moose: I agree with Pyr. If you are worried you are going to get stuck in the details of sculpting out a full body mesh that is proportionally and anatomically correct you might want to take the base mesh route.

If you're looking for a happy middle ground between starting a human base mesh from scratch and starting one from a pre-existing base mesh in Zbrush. Load the pre-made base mesh and use dynamesh and/or zremesher to decimate the base mesh down to a lower level of detail/polycount. Then you can start moving, scaling, and sculpting detail back into the model.
  • Lilith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone
    It`s been a while since I made a character, I love Ovchinnikov`s art, so I decided to make it this time
    I wanna go with High Res: 32k Triangles, 2048 Maps
    I want to try DDo2 for texturing(beta is coming out next week), and make final render in Marmoset 2, and probaby Hi Res render in Keyshot. It`s all the stuff that I wanted to look into, but had no time :)

For now it`s just a blockout
    vik_Screen_01.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LilithLooking quite strong already. You are quick!
    here's todays update.7GfFRNh.jpg
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice work so far guys!

@Dimfist: Solid start so far! Like the shoes.
    @Lilith: Wow crazy amount of detail for just a blockout, the eyes are really working.
    @klown: Nice start! Keep at it!
    @DonEngland: Nice head start.
    @Pyrzern: Really like what you got so far! Are the clothes separate from the body or is is all one mesh?

Will post my progress tomorrow, as seeing all these awesome builds I now see a few things I can change on my model.
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    @Mr.Moose: Pretty much what PyrZern and Ape_Errata said.
    The more you do, regardless if its from a basemesh or from scratch, the more you can find out what your strengths and weaknesses are and then work to fix those areas. Also have fun!

@Dimfist, @PyrZern, @thepapercut: Thanks!

@lilith: great start, loving that face!. I also saw the dDo2 announcement and plan to do the same thing with mine :D

@Dimfist: Nice progress, the toe of the boots look quite bulbous, not sure if that was by design? Still check out some ref for her "v" area on her waist, the hip bones look a little sharp and defined.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup it's a steel toe with some designs on it. As far as her hips yeah I need to go back on that, it was bugging me to.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lilith Smooth sail there ! Can't wait for dDO2... Too bad I don't think I can try it on this char <_<"

Update! She's made up of multiple pieces. Her torso is armless, but is connected to her legs. Her arms are actually her jackets. I tried to give her some ab muscle, but failed... Just gonna leave that to painting instead.
    10298403_10152453318960115_3575500962139694689_o.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget, if you post, then you critique. It's the rules and it helps everyone get better by having a critical eye which you can start to turn on your own work.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    bld5Tab.jpg

Still work in progress but so far, hair and pants need some work. I have yet to decide the style of shoes.

Critiques:

- Jacket requires more finesse.
    - Pants need more work.
    - Dreads need more work.
  • SwdPwnzDggr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, first time doing one of these. And by that I mean not only the monthly challenge but also sculpting a character and taking it all the way through.

Most of my character work has been with very low poly mobile games, and even then I am largely an environmental artist.

Over the last month I have been getting myself reacquainted with zBrush (the first few times were major failures because I couldn't grasp the UI quick enough and kept getting frustrated.

I am finally starting to be happy with my progression in digital sculpting and I hope none of you mind that I am following Scott Spencer's Digital Sculpting Human Anatomy book while I go through this challenge.

Today I finally went through and sculpted the first gesture sculpt I've ever done, took me about 2 hours. The rest of the character will be based off of this so any crits to my anatomy now would be very helpful. I will be able to pick this back up either later tomorrow or Thursday.

nZMx7OG.jpg
  • SwdPwnzDggr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lilith Smooth sail there ! Can't wait for dDO2... Too bad I don't think I can try it on this char <_<"

Update! She's made up of multiple pieces. Her torso is armless, but is connected to her legs. Her arms are actually her jackets. I tried to give her some ab muscle, but failed... Just gonna leave that to painting instead.
    10298403_10152453318960115_3575500962139694689_o.jpg

Hey, love the idea of only using maya. May have to do that down the road to test myself. I am still very new to this whole character thing but I think you could bring down the shoulders a bit in size and possibly in a bit more. Though I do like the improvement over your earlier shot.