Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Combat Drone (WIP)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Kimon polycounter lvl 6
LATEST UPDATE:

Yo polycounters! I'm calling this done now. Really satisfied with the outcome, hope someone else will like it :) Thanks for stopping by!

LgAEtgI.jpg

qbDEXUH.jpg

fzdeJou.jpg

ORIGINAL THREAD:

Good evening everyone! Decided to take this guy further and been working away on it for a good while today:

8N4t1uI.jpg

Heavily based on this Combat Drone concept from Homefront, which in itself is heavily based on SWORDS/TALON-robots so I'm taking my references from them aswell!

Ofc still a lot to do and I'm well aware of the difference in edge thickness at the moment, gotta take care of that, but it's nice to get some feed back somewhat early! :)

Also, my first time making treads and I'm a little bit worried about unwrapping them, or, not the unwrapping itself but rather how do it 'the right way', so if anyone got some nice tips and tricks for those let me know! :)

Replies

• Trevor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevor polycounter lvl 4
    Looking great. Can you please show some reference pics as there's not much to compare it to at the moment. I cant tell if you are mixing designs or basing the model off a singular drone.

I would start unwrapping the treads by doing planar projections on the sides then unwrap all the upward facing sides into one or two linear strips. The sides of the treads will keep there shape and you can pack lesser sized uv islands in between them.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Great start, love the feel keep going more detail please
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    @Trevor

Thanks, and of course! It's not just a single one.
    The main one is without a doubt the left one here:

151727179.5NVAPZEc.jpg

However that concept picture didn't have too much smaller details, so I'm also looking att stuff like this:

8185_17100712316.jpg

To see where they put the screw holes in real life etc.

Really just searching google for "SWORDS / TALON / COMBAT DRONE" and picking stuff I like. :)

@skyline5gtr

Thanks man! More detail incoming
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Small update:

R4XD9xv.jpg

Some areas are still painfully empty, especially the back, ah well, will hopefully find something cool to put there :)

And later, after the bakening and everything, I will probably run a last detail pass in nDo and add in stuff I feel is missing.
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Felt like working on the low poly for a bit..

2ZJnWMM.jpg

Really love making nice and continuous low poly meshes, probably my favorite part of the whole process :)

Saves texture space, waaay easier to bake and they also look pretty cool I think!
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Looking really nice. Pesronally I don't think you need more details. Once you get all of the ware and any paint details on there it will look great. More details will just clutter the design.
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks man! Yea I hope so :) Will probably add some small stuff after that's too tedious to do with floaters.

tMMA7vn.jpg

Did a quick dirty test bake with the geomtry I got so far, everything connected and continuous, sits at ~1300 tris which I think is OK. Some questionable smoothing and parts missing, but that will be sorted out, hopefully ^^
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    More or less done with the retopo and test baking, and will begin the real uv-mapping and baking process pretty soon.

kLqsbxC.jpg

gRLwmkm.jpg

Sits at ~9800 tris right now, will probably do some more optimization and I will add more detail! :) Also thinking about adding some kind of headlights in the front, not sure about that yet though.
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Also, the treads are made up from two instances that are used something like 20-30 times around the tracks. That way they get some variation but still take up as little texture space as possible. They rotate around perfectly by being attached to a spline.

Really didn't want to make them completely flat and use a seperate tiling texture so this was the best I could come up with. Getting splines into game engines is usually really easy so what do you think? OK way of doing it?

2hh39fo.jpg
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    normally for tread animations I see them move the space of one link and simply loop. That way you can have other bones, like for having the bogies and treads react to the environment layer on more easily.
    I may be a bit out of touch, but I've never seen a game engine that supports portions of a model constrained to splines. Most of them require bones for object motion.
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the answer!

I understand. I'm not planning on putting this one in an actual game engine with working treads but it would still be fun to make it somewhat usuable. Someone should really make a good current gen tutorial about treads! :) all the ones I can find are just using panning textures which seems a little bit old school.
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    h1nGNmx.jpg

UV's and most of the baking done! Some stuff turned out better than others and there's still a bit of detail I would like to get in there :)
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Started texturing today! Still very much a WIP :)

07Eimb2.jpg
  • Filcomet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filcomet polycounter lvl 11
    Congrats! Nice work!!
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Yo polycounters! I'm calling this done now. Really satisfied with the outcome, hope someone else will like it :) Thanks for stopping by!

LgAEtgI.jpg

qbDEXUH.jpg

fzdeJou.jpg
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    @Filcomet Thanks man! means a lot.

People seem utterly uninterested in this one :) Personally I think the texture work on this one is my best yet but perhaps I've become a bit blinded by working on it? Would be awesome to know what other people think.
  • menjah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    menjah polycounter lvl 6
    I guess Polycount is slow lately :P
    I think it looks really great! I think it would benefit from a fairly simple gloss map, the gloss seems fairly even across the whole model right now and adding some really subtle patchy noise or sharp contrast between materials would look awesome.

Is this rendered in Marmoset?
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    @menjah

Thanks for the input, and yea, I totally see what you mean about the gloss!
    It's actually rendered in the new 3DO, but not textured with the new ddo. I noticed that you can start the 3DO as stand alone and just load in whatever mesh and maps you want.

They got some really nice lightning presets which makes it more intuitive than marmoset in my opinion :)