Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fantasy Village Hut

Hey Everyone,

I thought I'd share some Wip shots from a fantasy hut I've been working on for my online class. The idea was to demonstrate modularity from both a material and geometry standpoint. I also wanted to do something a little more stylized, this is basically the direction I'd like to see a Zelda game go. The background assets are re-used from the CeleryLand project so I'll eventually make some vegetation that is slightly more stylized as well.

Here's the original concept sketch I did.

HutConcept.jpg

Next I blocked in the model and then did a paint-over to establish the backside of the structure.

HutPost00.jpg
HutPost01.jpg

I was most excited to try out a new thatching approach so I started with that. Once you have your base block-in I recommend starting with the detail or material that you're most hyped on. This will help you push past the initial stage that can often leave people feeling overwhelmed.

HutPost02.jpg

Next I started to nail down the plaster treatment via this paint-over.

HutPost03.jpg

At this stage I refined the thatch treatment by adding some underside geo for thickness and I also baked out my modular stone foundation and my wood beam.

HutPost04.jpg

Here is a max screen grab showing the modular geo that I used to clad over the block-in.

ModularPieces.jpg

Next I wanted to refine the furnace that attaches to the backside so I did another paint-over. I really can't stress the value of this iterative process enough. Anytime you feel stuck in your 3d app, jump over to photoshop and figure it out.

HutPost05.jpg
HutPost06.jpg

Here is the first pass on the plaster material. It consists of one tiling plaster with subtle more generic cracks and then a decal plaster with specific cracks and damage.

HutPost07.jpg

Although I liked the direction the plaster was going I felt like the facade needed to be broken up into more interesting sub details.

HutPost08.jpg

At this stage the backside was looking sad so I again did a paint-over pass to get things back on track.

HutPost09.jpg
HutPost10.jpg

Here is the near finished front view and back view of the hut.

InGame_HighRez.jpg

InGame_Back_HighRez.jpg

Replies