Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scifi Lift

Hey guys, so I decided I'd try learning more about hard surface modeling by starting with something a little simpler so I chose this concept by Gray Shuko
29bkhog.jpg

Here is my High Poly so far.
2qlbvhx.jpg
I decided to build the barriers straight as it seemed like that helped reduce pinching when I was smoothing. Then I would try to bow them out similar to the concept using a lattice once all of the maps were baked. I did a couple of test runs for this to see if it would even work and I had no real trouble. Here is the Low poly

2cihhc7.jpg

So I built the low poly and baked a bunch of separate maps and crammed them all together into one and threw it into UE4 to see how things were working out and Im getting some big ugly seams that I wasnt seeing in Maya. I assume it's definitely something to do with how I baked my normal maps. I did some searching and found the best way was to soften everything except the UV seams before baking, and this was my result
wrmlqr.jpg

Basically Im just wondering how I can bake normal maps so they appear seamless on the model. Should I soften all of the edges before baking? Im a bit stumped so any help would be appreciated!

Replies