Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Little Archer character

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Crowdsmurf polycounter lvl 10
Hey Everyone,

Looking for some feedback on a character I'm working on based on a concept by Sephiroth-Art.

It's still WIP, but I'm getting at the point where I'm starting to put the final touches and I'm starting to lose sight of what to adjust/improve; so I would love to hear from you guys :).

The concept by Sephiroth-Art:
xyFPrbc.png

Zbrush Sculpt and maya render:
7e5mhZY.png
xbyU5lZ.jpg

Retopo (around 8k tris) and first texture pass:

6mU2CLg.png
Fq25XxU.jpg

Next up is getting the eyes better and making a simple rig so I can pose him. If you made it this far, thanks for reading and please leave a comment :).

Cheers

Replies

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Dig this little guy and the materials look good!
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Looks pretty good man.
    Really close to the concept :)

I wouldve liked the fingers to be more flat though
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Looks awesome man, reminds me of Vivi in FF9 :)

Vivi_Ornitier_character.jpg
  • jStins
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Nice interpretation of the concept. Has a lot of appeal! I think the shading and textures look nice, but the helmet reads as a wee bit noisy to me and the high saturation in the moss/rocks is a little distracting.

Looking forward to seeing him posed.
  • Crowdsmurf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good stuff everyone, thanks! One of the reasons I loved the concept so much is because he reminded me so much of Vivi :).

@Jsins: I may have overdone it a bit with the noise in the helmet. I tried really hard making it look interesting, but perhaps i took it a bit too far. Good point on the rocks, there was something off about them, but I couldn t really grasp just what it was that bothered me.

Update coming soon!
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    I really like it, looking forward to you posing it :D From this shot it looks like he's smiling below his helmet. So happy.
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    really nice work on the character, the only crit I have would be to work on the rock a bit more, the textures seem a little flat in comparison to the model. besides that I love this
  • Lloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great! The materials are very convinving man. Apart from the crit already mentioned above, maybe take another look at the feathers on his arrows. They lack a little bit of detail and seem very painted in comparison with the rest of the model.
  • jStins
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Crowdsmurf wrote: »
    Good stuff everyone, thanks! One of the reasons I loved the concept so much is because he reminded me so much of Vivi :).

@Jsins: I may have overdone it a bit with the noise in the helmet. I tried really hard making it look interesting, but perhaps i took it a bit too far. Good point on the rocks, there was something off about them, but I couldn t really grasp just what it was that bothered me.

Update coming soon!

Maybe you could tone down the noise (similar to what you have on the gauntlets) and pull in some design elements like what you have on the belt. Might create some nice rhythm, but I'm not sure how far you want to deviate from the concept.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    This is adorable! So much character in this little guy.

The helmet noise is a bit much at the moment, but that's just tweaking.

Great presentation, get him rigged nowwwww!!!
  • Crowdsmurf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments and critiques! I tried to take together what you guys said and did some tweaks and updates:

-made a simple rig and tried out a few poses(mostly Jason Baskin's rigging script)
    -desaturated/darkened the rocks + pushed spec en gloss
    -took down some of the noise in the helmet
    -adjusted the eyes/ feathers and bow textures
    -played around with more lights and light setups

Yi2WQVD.png
    jZWuDMz.jpg

I like the jStins suggestion about the patterns; I'll probably have a go with that and see what the effect is. Other than that, I'm starting to be fairly happy with it. If you guys have any more suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them!
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Thats a really freaking cool marmorset render...
    eventhough gotta lie if I'd say i didn't read the Topic and expected something in the lines of this ;) (nah kidding ;))
    Archer_wedding.JPG
  • Crowdsmurf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Anchang-Style; had a lot of fun messing around in marmoset for this one; glad you like it! And yeah, it's impossible for me as well to hear the word archer and NOT think of the show :D.