Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

littel bit of Yorkshire (WIP!)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
Just started really so loads to fix and clean up but its a start :):)

Qo0522T.jpg
Ttf1LBw.jpg
wUgOkCr.jpg
bWX4FpU.jpg
1kt2XZQ.jpg
CvDmHl2.jpg
6ruR0VU.jpg

Replies

• Jedairusz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedairusz polycounter lvl 13
    Looks good, but I think, that wall texture is monochromatic. Telephone booth is key asset, so you should work on textures.
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monophobe polycounter lvl 11
    As you say there's plenty to do to get a realistic looking scene, but you're already making me feel homesick so... good work!? :)
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Nice work - I'm a fellow tyke too. I'd be tempted to make the wall more realistic - it's not quite non-uniform enough for a proper dry-wall construction (if that's what you were after).
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    woo yorkshire!

nice job on it so far, but i feel like the telephone booth is a little too clean. could muddy it up around the bottom, stain the edges of the glass etc. they tend to not be in great condition. And as some others have said, the wall looks a little too uniform, the bricks or stones are very rectangular for a dry stone wall.
  • Rob_Blight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First thing I notice is the stone wall is very uniform and looks quite dark - it isn't reacting to the light from the sky in the way I would expect. It needs fresnel, especially apparent in pic 1 where the sky is very bright white, but the wall doesn't seem to pick up any bright highlights (these kind of stones do have (low) spec, but a high roughness value which diffuses the specular highlight).

The stones could do with a somewhat brighter diffuse and have more colour variation. If you look at examples on google images you will see especially older walls have lots of white lychen and green moss, as well as varied stone colours (see what I mean here).

The phone box looks fairly good, I assume you'll be changing the base which is currently a grey box? Could do with some more grime near the base too imo (see what I mean here).

Only other thing I would say the trees could maybe use a subtle displacement map to get rid of the smooth look.

You're getting a bit of an uncanny valley look going, though, which means the scene is approaching realism, nice. :)
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    This is refreshing, the foliage and bricks are good, but the telephone box defiantly needs work, its not reading as metal, also get some damage on there too, rust/peeled paint. Its really nice other than that but you got to sort the textures out on the phonebox as its a focal point.
  • Rob_Blight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well regardless of whether it's made of metal, the surface is painted, so it's a dielectric material and shouldn't read as metal. I think it needs to look more glossy, but I'm unsure of how Marmoset handles this (I guess just higher gloss/roughness value = sharper cubemap?).
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good start! I like where you're going with this.

I would say that the vegetation looks a little like plastic, though. Especially the trunk of the tree; it doesn't have that rough look that Bark typically has. I also see some floating branches on your tree, and can see the planes easily too. Even if it is only a 2 tri plane, move those verts so the plane isn't completely flat.

The materials on the phonebooth don't seem very defined and I can't make out what it is supposed to be made of. It looks like it also needs a spec/gloss map, and stronger normals for the edges. Right now it kind of looks like wood, but I am pretty sure those are made of a painted metal.

Keep going, you've got some great stuff here. Although your bramble is extremely high poly, it might be good to work on making something like that a little lower poly to show that you can make game-ready vegetation assets. Right now it looks like a mix of assets for a CG scene with assets from a game scene. I looked throughout your portfolio and couldn't find a lower poly bush like that, so right now it seems like you're relying on the higher polygon count. Just trying to think in regards to how a prospective employer might think when looking at your stuff.

Also, a little off topic, but you sure are naming a lot of art tests and the companies' you got them for in your portfolio... that's generally not advised. Unless you got permission, then forget what I said. :)
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @RexM Thanks for the feedback dude, really helpful. The blackberry bush is actually quite low. The stem is actually just 2 planes perpendicular, like a cross and bent in an arc, so for a whole section, thats only 12 polys, with each leaf 2 polys, and each blackberry cluster is 2 polys.

I have to admit, I didnt ask for permission for but the one for Ubi-Massive, the brief said to label it as fan art, which I did. The other art test, was for a bogus company in Australia who often tries to get young artists to do free work (That guy called Marty??). I agree though, I'll change the titles, been a bit lazy in that respect. I have recently found work though with Rockstar Leeds, I start on Monday as an Art Dev Assistant.

@Rob_Blight/oxblood/woot/Jedairusz - Cheers guys, comments and feedback is much appreciated. The phone box is still WIP. As for the materials, well there are 2 types, painted cast iron or believe it or not, painted wood and there is a good mix of both types of telephone box across the region.

@Monophobe / Jedairusz - I agree it looks too uniform. Between contracts, I get by, by working as a DryStone Waller. There are many types of walls. Field walls (the lowest paid and most basic), roadside (higher paid, much neater and more uniform stone) and feature walls (the highest paid). In starting this project, I thought it would be too high poly to build a wall of individual stones, so I created the normnal map in zbrush using high poly stones, but to make sure the texture tiled, I kind of kept to using uniform rows of stones. My logic was that it was a neat feature wall. Now the scene is coming together, I can see this type of wall doesnt fit. I'm thinking of re-doing the wall with a more fitting 'field-wall' that is way more uneven and random. I'm also thinking of making it lower standing and more broken and to that, I would be best making it from individual low poly stones.

Cheers everyone for your comments and feedback! :):)
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    ok, my mistake about saying it should look like metal but I'm sure u get what I meant, it needs more definition it theres no shine/gloss to it. also, adding little adds to it would give it some character....damaged posters with paper peeling off
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, it needs more love attention thats for sure, other than sort of scratched in graffiti, I wanted to avoid posters and actual graffiti as I dont really want it to look too urban, if that makes sense? I'm definitely going to try and make it look like cast iron thats been painted and aged over and been re-painted for like 90 years or something. Pluss add some moss and significant grime at the base.
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    *grabs jaw from floor and puts it back in place*

Now that's some pretty stuff already! Better sub to see the updates :D
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe thanks Xaragoth :)
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK guys based on your feedback I've fixed the wall and made the telephone box a little grubbier :) I'm still working through the other issues.

DakGsin.jpg
    reT0Vfm.jpg
    h2I7FwV.jpg
    z0F0YOf.jpg
    SkEmteq.jpg
    sDq9aki.jpg
    1UpkMPM.jpg
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys no comments on the improvement? Its not better?
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Its better, don't worry this lack of posts happens. Sometimes it is just better to keep on posting updates until someone else comments.
  • jamiemurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jamiemurphy polycounter lvl 8
    That wall is really nice! Definitely a huge improvement.

PS I'm from Halifax :)
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello from Huddersfield lol :)
  • marcobar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marcobar polycounter lvl 4
    I lived/studied in York all last year, and seeing that Leeds/Huddersfield sign brought back all the warm fuzzies!

The new wall segment definitely looks more convincing to me - it was just too perfect before. That being said, I do feel like there should be an intact part of the wall in the scene for balance, but I'm not sure where you'd fit it into the current composition.

The other thing is that I still feel that the booth is too bright-looking. It's bordering on a pinkish red to me. I don't think it's necessarily a brightness issue, but maybe it would help to bump up the saturation so that it's a deeper red?
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    looking ace! keep on going

P.S In Leeds!!
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really good, one suggestion - if you could have the actual telephone / dial box (what's it called?) on the ground or in the booth, with money/coins sprayed all over the place, that could add a nice story element to it.
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm going to do the actual phone and I'm not finished with the phonebox yet, I'm slowly updating that textures as I go, there will defo be more graffitti on the inside.

Dave - Yeah I work in Leeds live in Huddersfield
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    i feel like the base of the phone booth could do with some work, its a little weird looking and looks out of place (the grey bit that is)

good luck with the rest!

ps. harrogate here!
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats just a placeholder, its going to be a large stone platform. Hello harrogate, this is becoming a 'who lives in Yorkshire' thread lol which is no bad thing ;)
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Wow...

I can imagine it now Polycount Yorkshire meetup haha - turns out theres many more then i expected!
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Wow. Never knew there was so many of us up north...

Lovely scene man. I'd keep pushing that wall though. The new geometry is a massive improvement but the gloss looks very consistent. Break it up with some moss or slightly rougher sections perhaps?

All the best :)
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    You need more sandstone! :D

postcapdirt-andalgae.jpg
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @fearian yeah but in drystone walling in Yorkshire they also use limestone and gritstone, albeit sandstone being the main type.

@Lankus Cheers matey, yeah seems to be a few of us :)

@Dave you should organise it! ;)
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needs:
    - More whippets and flat caps.
    - Less of the letter H.

But in all seriousness, it feels kind of unfocused at the moment. A lot of the wear and noise feels unnaturally evenly distributed.

What caused those odd spatters of paint chips clean through the metal on the telephone box? I'd wager that you'd get some scratches here and there, maybe at foot/waist height around the doors and the outward facing corners, but it would be a lot muckier towards the bottom, with grime streaked down it from the road and rain, bedding into the cavities. It feels a bit like there's textures slapped over things without much consideration of why they're there.

The rocks also are very uniformly worn. You could take a cavity map or even an AO map and use it to blend in some dirt into the unexposed areas. Moss on exposed areas and maybe some spots of lichen will also help sell it's age.

And then generally try bedding everything together - lots of dirt build-up where the objects meet. You've kind of got a start of that on the pillars at the end of the wall - getting muckier as they reach the ground - but the rocks and the telephone box don't have any of that.
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Farfarer wrote: »
    Needs:
    - More whippets and flat caps.
    - Less of the letter H.

But in all seriousness, it feels kind of unfocused at the moment. A lot of the wear and noise feels unnaturally evenly distributed.

What caused those odd spatters of paint chips clean through the metal on the telephone box? I'd wager that you'd get some scratches here and there, maybe at foot/waist height around the doors and the outward facing corners, but it would be a lot muckier towards the bottom, with grime streaked down it from the road and rain, bedding into the cavities. It feels a bit like there's textures slapped over things without much consideration of why they're there.

The rocks also are very uniformly worn. You could take a cavity map or even an AO map and use it to blend in some dirt into the unexposed areas. Moss on exposed areas and maybe some spots of lichen will also help sell it's age.

And then generally try bedding everything together - lots of dirt build-up where the objects meet. You've kind of got a start of that on the pillars at the end of the wall - getting muckier as they reach the ground - but the rocks and the telephone box don't have any of that.

Pfffft and what would you know?? ;) Haha just kidding cheers man :) , I do intend to do those things, like I'm going to give the rocks a second UV channel (although they are getting polyheavy already). I was going to bed everything in with more foliage. The ground is still very obvious in some shots and so needs much stuff. I'm going to add some wild small flowers like dandelions etc,

The telephone box needs a fair bit of work,