Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fallout Ripper weapon

Sp1d3r
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Sp1d3r polycounter lvl 2
Hello Polycount,

For quite some time I have been lurking around Polycount, but I never quite had the courage to post the stuff I was working on, seeing all the great stuff being posted.
A while ago some people told me I should post, because getting and giving feedback is worth it's weight in gold (figuratively speaking :)).

So to start off I'm posting a piece I started quite recently.
It's the Ripper melee weapon as seen in the Fallout games.
The goal is to follow the original design as close as possible and produce a higher quality version of the weapon.
My aim is to make a nex-gen quality Ripper, 1k or 2k texture, 2 - 2,5k tris etc., but I'm not quite sure about those specs.

Below follow a couple of shots of where I am with it right now.

Critiques and comments are greatly appreciated!

screenshots01.png
The original as seen in the game

ss2014-05-11at083234.png

ss2014-05-11at083254.png

ripper_wire_marmo.png

ripper_shaded_marmo.png

Replies

• Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Looks like a solid start! 2 - 2,5k tris for a next gen first person weapon seems really low though. I would say anywhere from 5 to 15 k would be appropriate! Ofc it's always good to optimize everything and produce clean topology etc, but polygons are not really a problem anymore.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The various buttons along the side - especially the largest one - could certainly use some extra sides.

You should probably move away from the original for the handle; the grip is a bit awkward at the moment. Perhaps the pattern from a bicycle/motorcycle grip would work better.

Keep in mind that this is essentially a chainsaw. While operating, the teeth will spin quickly enough to be a faint blur. Also, the blood will tend to be in streaks & splatters. The teeth at the bottom of the blade needs an opening in the hilt. The small teeth are in a separate layer, one on each side of the large, moving chain of teeth.
  • Sp1d3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sp1d3r polycounter lvl 2
    Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've posted any progress on the Ripper weapon I was creating.
    With some school projects out off the way I finally had time to pick it off the shelf again.

Progress I've made since the last post:
    - Redid the teeth for the chainsaw part (as noted by another poster!)
    - Made a low poly version clocking in at 4198 tris
    - Baked the normal map from the high- to the low-poly
    - Upped the stakes a little for myself by approaching a PBR method (Using the gloss method)
    - Started texturing the model little by little.

I am aiming to finishing this project soon so I will be updating it regularly.
    Feedback and comments are of course very much appreciated!

screenshot002.jpg

screenshot001.jpg

screenshot003-1.jpg

Texturesheet.png
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The black placeholder texture is really obscuring details; you'd probably be better off with a neutral gray as a placeholder.
  • Sp1d3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sp1d3r polycounter lvl 2
    @DWalker,

Yes, It was mainly to keep myself focused on the task at hand which is the main body.
    But from now on I'll change it to a neutral gray whenever I make the screenshots!
  • Sp1d3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sp1d3r polycounter lvl 2
    Did a little more detail work on the body and started working on the handle.
    Because the handle is not exactly the same as the reference I'm working from, I had a little more freedom regarding the textures of it too.

I went for a sort off half matte leather look, but tried to keep the original colors.

screenshot002-1.jpg

screenshot000.jpg

screenshot001-1.jpg
  • Sp1d3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sp1d3r polycounter lvl 2
    Finally I´m done with this piece.
    While making it I learned a lot about modelling, baking and PBR.

Comments and critics about it are greatly appreciated!:)

screenshot001-2.jpg~original

screenshot000-1.jpg~original

screenshot002-2.jpg~original

screenshot003-2.jpg~original

rippertexturesshowoff-1.jpg~original