Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rift: Architect Warrior, character

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
BradMyers82 interpolator
*final*

Just uploaded this in the Marmoset 3d Viewer. Thought I would share.

Marmoset Viewer:
https://bradmyers82.artstation.com/portfolio/rift-fan-art

rift_presentation_sheet_01_web.jpg

Sorry I start these threads and rarly finish anything. lol. But this time I'll see this to the end. I'm determined! :)

Here is the concept (not mine)
Architect_Warrior.jpg

Basically I'm making this cause I wanted to create a character from scratch as an excuse to use Marmoset 2 to render him out.

Here is my progress so far, I'm not sure if I want to give his ab area A symmetry, and not sure if I want to add some more surface detail, like more subtle dents and stuff on the shell. I also need to create those little hairs too. I'm also looking for feedback on the line quality with stuff. I can see it sorta looks overly sharp blocky in some areas (like under the chest) and thinking about putting more love into these areas if its worth it.

Oh and I made up a bunch of areas in the back and stuff since the concept doesn't cover it. I'm not crazy about the side orthos in that image so I intentionally strayed from that.

Hope you guys like it so far, but please give me any crit you can so I can wrap up the high poly and move on. Thanks!

rift_hp_01.jpg

Replies

• Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Looking good. Only things I see off hand is the secondary arms sprout more from where his armpit would be in the concept, which in turn lifts and pushes out his shoulders making his main arms a bit higher and out.
    Also the foot claws could be a little more wicked long :D
    Awesome job so far!
  • silvershrimp
    I'd refocus the head a bit, you've simplified that mouth and it looks a bit wrong, some of the plates aren't as accurate as they could be but overall it's looking pretty cool.
  • Rolang
    Offline / Send Message
    Rolang interpolator
    Looking good, subscribed! Interested to see how this progresses. :poly124:
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Dimfist: Thanks for the crits man. I made those foot talons longer and adjusted the secondary arms, both improved the overall look I think. So thanks for pointing that out. The perspective in zb is sorta crazy and it does make his proportions look a lot different then they truly are, so I included a ortho shot with this render. He should look a lot more top heavy when you see him from the ortho view (sorta solving some of those issues you were talking about with the under arm stuff).

silvershrimp: I was thinking if anything I was adding too much detail and needed to smooth some of that stuff in the face out. Are you saying this because I didn't have the hair modeled there? I did actually go ahead and model some, it looks sorta crappy honestly and I decided I'm not gonna use it for anything and just tackle that during the low poly modeling with some alphas and cleaver texture work.

Rolang: Thanks bud, glad to know you're following. :)

Not a lot of major changes here, just subtle stuff, trying to make sure it will translate well when I bake from it. I probably wont go further with surface detail, I'll take care of that if I really have to in photoshop with ndo.

Also, as I started to mention above, I'm not gonna bother with those high poly hairs. I'll just solve that with alpha planes. But I did create some for the face as a place holder.

Gonna move on to the low poly and come back to this hp later to do some polypaint.

rift_hp_02.jpg
  • klamp
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Nice sculpt so far! I like the way you've rendered the detail on the body, so I think the only thing that sticks out to me so far are the proportions. In the concept piece it looks like that back piece is maybe a bit bigger, and the torso a big longer.

Please excuse the crude paintover:

WX2nKAx.jpg

Either way I think it looks good, so if you made those choices purposely (or like your proportions better) I'd say go for it.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey klamp, thanks for the paintover!

I think in all honesty, to match the actual proportions of the concept its somewhere in the middle of what I have and your paintover. What I'm really trying to think about is what makes him look cooler as you already noted.
    But anyway, I think I will push the proportions a bit more in the direction you showed here. My logic is, I think my guy looks a bit too short and yours a bit too tall and the wider shoulders would make him look more powerful. So probably the main thing I'll do is push the shoulders wider... Dimfist might have been right on the money with his crit earlier. Thanks again!
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Proportional adjustments based off klamps advice...
    Personally I like the adjustments, but I'll probably leave it as is now.

Transpose master wouldn't work, so had to adjust the subtools painstakingly independently. :(
    Time to move onto the low poly!

rift_adjust_01.gif

New proportions with perspective on...

rift_hp_03.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    this is coming along well:) I feel like the joints may be a tad weak looking though. Not sure.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Thanks Alex, Yea, I'll pump up those joints on the low poly if need be later on. I'll keep def. keep that in mind.

Here is the low poly. Just been working on this during lunch and probably about 50% of my work days so progress is slow.

I didn't really limit myself much with tri's, just wanted things to look good and keep things reasonable.

I still have to make the cards for the hair stuff he has, and take a closer look at a few areas and do some clean up work (particularly with the crystals which are mostly just decimated at this point), but close to finished with the lowpoly I think.

rift_lp_01.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Some polypaint, bottom images are flat color from the polypaint.

Finally ready to bake this slut! :)

rift_hp_04.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Finally!
    An update! You need to work faster :P

The high res looks pretty sweet as hell. Very true to the concept. If anything, id maybe add in more surface detail on his body. It would be cool to see some bump/grooves over his body. Id take the brown segments as shells; and crustacean exoskeletons come to mind (http://lisasander.edublogs.org/files/2010/10/exoskeleton.JPG). Some of the brown areas of the high res seem inorganic. Adding bumps would make it look more organic and give a nice detail layer with more polypainting fun(which is looking fab! ;))

Sexy stuff! :)
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey Butt, thanks for the feedback! And yes I'm very slow, haha. Just putting an hour into this 3 days a week or so on my lunch breaks. :(

I totally agree with you about adding details. It would stray from the concept but if it looks cooler then I don't care honestly, and I think it would look cooler with additional detailing. One thing I'll try is to stamp in some surface details with color included. Obviously I can't do this without a polypaint layer already down, so perfect timeing on your crit. Thanks again!
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Did a bit more polypaint today, haven't gotten to the surface detail yet.

I wanted to get a bit more variation in value and get a little more aggressive with it.

rift_hp_05_polypaint.gif
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    made some alphas and been dragging them in with some color.

I like where its going so far, just gonna keep going, and try not to over do it.

rift_hp_06.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Ok, I'm gonna call the polypaint and hp done for now.

I'll bake this out and get him finished up!

rift_hp_07.jpg
  • Ahoburg
    Looks really nice. The crystals may be a tad too bright, but most likely will look better in another engine. Keep it coming.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Thanks man, and yes I agree with you about the crystals being bright. I'll tone it down when I start texturing for sure.

Here is my bake. The current tri count is 18,842. It will go up a little tho when I start to make the cards for the hair thingys.

Again, no real texturing done right now other than the polypaint earlier. Really looking forward to messing around with the materials and textures now!

rift_bake_01.jpg

rift_bake_02.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    just found out my scale was all wrong (way big), so there is some weird stuff going on with the images above, and will be fixed with the next pass.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    ok, here it is with me fixing stuff with lighting and scale.

rift_bake_03.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking sweet as furk man. Bake looks really solid.
    I would up the contrast and down the brightness of the polypaint (but im sure youre planning on working on the polypaint as its raw). Looking forward to the speculars and emissive maps. Your specular map will really take this to the next level :)

Keep chuggin :D
  • Corazon
    I love the structure and the silhouette of this. Good job!
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Thanks butt... yea still working on your suggestion. Everything is very wip still, just trying to tackle these maps little by little.

Ok, I have applied most maps now, there is cavity, ao, normal, emissive, transparency, gloss, and spec.

I'm trying to use real world values as much I can, looking them up online and what not.

My lighting might be too strong though, I don't know. Is the main key light suppose to be set to a certain value to not blow stuff out?

I have just been eyeballing stuff as far as lighting is concerned and I'm affraid that it could be throwing off my materials.

Also, I started adding in some of those hairs on the dude. Right now those are just diffuse and alpha.

I haven't really done any detailing in the gloss yet. Just base values and cavity overlayed. I'm hoping once I get to detailing the gloss he starts to really come alive.

Any suggestions or advice much appreciated.

rift_texture_01.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    small update here, just documenting my workflow...

Made adjustments to different color values, and re-worked lighting some.

Worked on orange fleshy bits and worked on some diffuse details. Still haven't gotten to gloss detail yet. Probably next thing I'll work on is getting normals on the hairs and other needed maps for that.

rift_texture_02.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Did some work on the hairs (or whatever they are).

The shader and all textures are applied now. Just need to mess around with placement, and get the rest of the hairs placed around the body.

rift_texture_03.jpg
    rift_texture_03b.jpg
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really cool, I think you could crank up the spec and gloss a little on the chitinous carapace
    maybe not as much as this fella but you get the idea.
    lobster_16x9.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Ged: thanks dude, yea I'll def. be keeping that ref in mind. I'm really struggling trying to get things to look correct, but stay in the value range I should given this is pbr. Its a lot more challenging than I thought it would be.

Lots of stuff to do still. Just gave the textures a first pass.

I need to do more detail work in the gloss, and tweak some of the values of stuff further so they read better. Little bit of painting cleanup here and there also.

rift_texture_05.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Some more work on the little hairs...

rift_texture_06.jpg
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    This is looking pretty cool, but I think you could go a lot more glossy on the hard shell areas. Something more like this :
    scarites-beetle-cropped.jpg

Also the hard shell areas a darker and more red in the concept. Keep it up this looking nice!
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    Aloha!

Hey man everything looks delicious! Post more views!
    I hope you dont mind but i did a paintover (upped contrast and added noise). I think the colours are being washed out by the main light but i suck at lighting so i wouldnt know :)
    8vn0psT.gif
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good point, although a little heavy on the contrast in the paintover, that along with a little more spec/reflection will really make it pop
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Thanks a lot guys!

I'm STILL, really struggling trying to keep these values correct for pbr and make it look good. Right now, everything should be about the correct value, it just desperately needs love with the gloss map now. I think my lighting setup is sorta making it difficult so I might need to try something new with that. You will see from the back view it just doesn't translate well, and I did try and move some lights around a bit for that shot so it wasn't totally awful looking. But I'm pushing it more towards the spec and contrast side as has been suggested. :)

[edit] oh yea, and I'm gonna mess around with ddo for some gloss work next.

rift_texture_08.jpg
    rift_texture_09.jpg
  • Rogan
    ROCK LOBSTER!

amazing mate love it
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Watch the DoF and bloom in the render, need those to supplemental. Right now they are taking away from your renders in my opinion. Would like the shot better without rather than with right now. I think cutting those by 50-75% would do this a ton of justice. Just my 2cents. The model it self is really solid in nearly every category. Do also agree the primary light might be washing out your texture work.
  • Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Looks fantastic. Love the design. The claws are wicked
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Thanks a lot guys. :)

Add3r: thanks a lot for the tips. I actually found that the bloom I had was washing out my textures a lot too. I dialed that and the dof down a lot. Maybe not enough, but baby steps, haha.

I think I figured out the root of some problems I was having. The biggest thing was his skin was glowing in shadow, and I figured out it was because the translucency on the skin shader was dialed up way too high. I found this when I turned off all lights and played with the settings trying to make it look correct unlit.

Also, I dialed down the spec some, I think it was just too high and it was apparent when I rotated him. The main reason I think, is because I had a secondary reflection as well, and it was dialed up pretty high. Now with the main reflection and the secondary reflection values add up to about 1.0. I'm guessing this is the correct way to do it, but I'm not sure really. I'm including an image of my settings on my main material here so if you guys can spot any other mistakes I'm making I would really appreciate it. Just a note about the image. mask in the skin shader is masking out non fleshy parts. I'm doing it this way so I have the benefit of the skin shader on the fleshy parts but also so the shell doesn't look jacked up.

I still need to do the gloss work, but I feel like that and some cleanup work is all I have left. Maybe I'll try some different lighting setups as well.

Thanks for the help so far everyone, its really pushing me a lot more than I would on my own.

rift_texture_10.jpg
    rift_texture_10_settings.jpg

[edit} does anyone know if there is an option yet for turning off those annoying light widgets?
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I dont know what all those massive lines are? is the model really small and out of scale or something?
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    If you hit ctrl + u it turns off the ui.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Ged: its the lights. They signify the lights direction. The scale is correct he's like 7'5''. :)

stevston89: Thank you so much dude, you have no idea how much those lines have been bugging me.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Did a lot of gloss map work via ddo, and added some more details in general.
    Cleaned up some stuff, redid the lighting, and reworked the crystals.

Still some more stuff I want to do, but mostly done with the textures now.
    Also, I'm thinking I'll do some subtle posing, and create a base for this guy.

rift_texture_12.jpg
  • LSheridan
    Offline / Send Message
    LSheridan polycounter lvl 6
    Just really nice. Great execution from silhouette to texture.
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Your lighting setup is tenfold better, and the gloss map work definitely shows. Really nice work man :)
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome!!!!
    A single image does not do this justice. Please post a long turntable :P
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Thanks so much guys! I'm really happy I made this thread, everyone comments really helped a lot!

The main change I made is working on the yellow gems more, and cleaning up some errors in the texture here and there.

I think the textures are done now, but still more to do. I'm going to pose him and make a nice base for him as well. Also, I want to work on a beauty shot and a nice composited turntable.

This is for you butt, first time rendering out a turn table in marmoset. Its just a gif so the quality is low, but I will make a nice video soon I promise. :)

rift_turntable_01.gif
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Posed him and made a few minor changes.

I'm working on the base for him to stand on now. I'm planning on having him standing on a pedestal, and the ground will be sand with foot prints in the sand, and some water in the foot prints. I'll probably throw some little stones in there and maybe a dead bush or something too.

here is the posed version:
    rift_texture_14.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    here is the base I have been working on.

I think I can call the textures done now and I'm ready to work on a presentation sheet, and to composite a nice turntable.

rift_texture_15.jpg
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really nice finish, well done!
  • bfdsfidgi
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Thanks Ged! :)

Here is the final beauty renders. I'm gonna make a breakdown presentation sheet and turntable next.
    medium size:
    rift_presentation_sheet_01_medium.jpg

huge:
    rift_presentation_sheet_01.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    And here are some more construction sheets...

rift_presentation_sheet_02.jpg

rift_presentation_sheet_03.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    *final*

I realize this is a super old thread now but I just uploaded this in the Marmoset 3d Viewer and I wanted to share. I was meaning to make a video turntable but I think the marmoset viewer is better! :D

Marmoset Viewer:
    https://bradmyers82.artstation.com/portfolio/rift-fan-art

rift_presentation_sheet_01_web.jpg