Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized Pirate Sword (PBR)

Nosslak
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
I've been trying out making some stylized models lately (mostly a few handpainted weapons that I never posted as they just weren't up to snuff IMO). Anyways I figured I'd try making a stylized asset utilizing sculpts and PBR as that is closer to what I usually do (somewhat realistic weaponry and vehicles).

So I decided to base the model on a concept by the ever so popular Artyom Vlaskin and here is my progress so far:
Stylized_Sword_LP_1.png
The polycount lies at 3855 tris (for each sword) and it's using a set of 512*1024 textures. The render is from Toolbag 2.

I've still got a bunch of stuff to do like adding more grunge and wear but overall I'm liking where it's going. So far I've mostly worked on the blade but the other parts will get some love soon as well. I'll probably end up resculpting the skulls teeth to be more pronounced as the texture resolution wasn't quite high enough to capture details that small.

I haven't done much stylized work before so any critique and comments regarding that would be appreciated (any and all other critique would of course also be appreciated).

I look forward to hear what you think!

Replies

• Nosslak
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, time for a new update!
    Stylized_Sword_LP_2.png
    Changes since last time:
    - Added more wear and dirt
    - Improved material definition and detail (I added some subtle photo detail overlays)
    - Improved the blood a bit
    - And some other small improvements not worth mentioning here

To do:
    - Rebake the maps as I found a few baking problems (and the skulls mouth was too subtle)
    - Make the blood spread consistently to the other UV islands of the blade.
    - Improve the blood with smaller clots/bubbles and other detailing and potentially improving the overall shape.

Some feedback on this piece would be great as I, again, haven't made a lot of stylized models before.
  • Nosslak
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!
    Stylized_Sword_LP_3.png
    Changes:
    - Remade the blood and everything about it
    - Fixed a few baking problems (like the skulls mouth)
    - Tweaked the materials a little
    - Finished up most of the stuff I still had left

I am pretty satisfied with how the model looks right now and unsure what to do to improve it further so some feedback on that front would be awesome and very much appreciated. Failing that I'll just call the model done and move on.
  • Kiser Designs
    Offline / Send Message
    Kiser Designs polycounter lvl 12
    I really like the design. I think each iteration you have done is better than the last. Few things though.

- The spec (or reflectivity or whatever in PBR) on the model looks the same everywhere. The blood looks the same as the metal that looks the same as the gold (?) handle. Try and define the materials some more.

- I think that unless this sword was thrust threw the gut of an opponent, the blood would not cover the entire front of the sword. This looks like more of a cleaving type weapon IMO

- Aside from the blood the sword is too clean. Do a grunge pass and dirty it up a little. Change the look of the metal from one place to another.

It looks really good, just needs a few tweaks I think.
  • Nosslak
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the design. I think each iteration you have done is
    better than the last. Few things though.

- The spec (or reflectivity or whatever in PBR) on the model looks the same everywhere. The blood looks the same as the metal that looks the same as the gold (?) handle. Try and define the materials some more.
    Maybe the angle/lighting choice wasn't the best but the difference in reflectivity is very big between the metal and the blood at least as the different metals are very matte (33-40% gloss) while the blood is about almost mirror-like (85%, I did however bump it up a bit just now, which did improve the look of it). I'll post a shot where the difference is clearer next time. I'll try to push the material definition a bit more though.
    - I think that unless this sword was thrust threw the gut of an opponent, the blood would not cover the entire front of the sword. This looks like more of a cleaving type weapon IMO
    Yeah, you're right, I should probably tone down some of the blood on the backside of the sword. I wanted it to look like it could have been used used for maybe dismembering a characters head or arm so there wouldn't be as much blood on those sides.
    - Aside from the blood the sword is too clean. Do a grunge pass and dirty it up a little. Change the look of the metal from one place to another.
    Adding a lot more grunge would be great idea. I did make a dirt layer already but I realize now that it's way too small and subtle. So tomorrow I'll try to add a lot more bigger grunge to it which will hopefully help to break up some of the flat faces on the sword. I'll try to add some dried blood in some of the crevices close to the wet blood as well.
    I really like the design. I think each iteration you have done is
    better than the last.
    It looks really good, just needs a few tweaks I think.
    Thanks a lot! I'm confident that I'll make the model really shine tomorrow when I implement your feedback.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    What gets me more than anything is the normal map applied to the blood; it looks like jelly. I'd remove the blood normals completely and let the material do the definition (as Kiser suggested). You could maybe use a noisy normal if the blood has dried, something like rust? But dried blood would flake off a metal sword the moment it was used again.
  • DWalker
    The poly count seems very high for what you have. You appear to have spent most of the polygons on the hilt, followed by the holes in the blade. They really could have been better used smoothing the curve of the blade, and to a lesser extent on the basket hilt. From most reasonable angles, the holes in the blade could probably be handled by a simple alpha mask.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    DWalker wrote: »
    The poly count seems very high for what you have. You appear to have spent most of the polygons on the hilt, followed by the holes in the blade. They really could have been better used smoothing the curve of the blade, and to a lesser extent on the basket hilt. From most reasonable angles, the holes in the blade could probably be handled by a simple alpha mask.

If you want to make it look ugly, im sure thats the way to go : P
    Alpha masks for those holes?
    Look at what his intentions are. There is no strict mobile limitation or something, and for a third person model with that complex hilt thats totally in budget.
    Why strip away and make the model look simply worse, just to reduce a simple counter in numbers, something that in this case is only written letters on a piece of paper somewhere, and only if he decides to write them.
  • Nosslak
    Offline / Send Message
    What gets me more than anything is the normal map applied to the blood; it looks like jelly. I'd remove the blood normals completely and let the material do the definition (as Kiser suggested).
    I tried removing the normal information from the blood and I think the blood suffered a lot from it as it looked pretty uninteresting. However I do think you're right in that it looked a bit too much like jelly, so I toned the normal depth down to about half of what it was, which did improve its look. The model is quite stylized so I don't think it matters too much if the blood is a little exaggerated.
    You could maybe use a noisy normal if the blood has dried, something like rust? But dried blood would flake off a metal sword the moment it was used again.
    Yeah, I think you're right. I'll just skip adding the dried blood as it would indeed flake right off.

DWalker wrote: »
    Shrike wrote: »
    If you want to make it look ugly, im sure thats the way to go : P
    Alpha masks for those holes?
    Look at what his intentions are. There is no strict mobile limitation or something, and for a third person model with that complex hilt thats totally in budget.
    Why strip away and make the model look simply worse, just to reduce a simple counter in numbers, something that in this case is only written letters on a piece of paper somewhere, and only if he decides to write them.
    I've got to agree with Shrike. I am making the model with PBR in mind so it would most likely not be used in a mobile/low fidelity game to begin with. Besides this model is just for my portfolio so I think it's more important that I make it as beautiful as I possibly can. The blade is also very thick so alpha mapping the holes was never an option in my mind, though I do see that it could have been a logical choice for a much thinner, more realistically proportioned sword.

That said there are a few optimizations that could be done while barely removing any details saving about 500 triangles. I did find most of that geometry in the basket. So it looks like I'll end up rebaking this again.

I am curious though, where do you think the blade needs more smoothing? I modeled this thing but can barely find any of the edges myself.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, everyone! It helps me out a lot.