Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Red Wedding Hall (Game of Thrones Environment)

Somarion
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Somarion polycounter lvl 4
**EDIT Nov 21 2014**

After taking a break from this env, I've decided to go back and really put in work via lighting. I'd really love to know what everyone thinks! Thanks in advance.

IMEP5ib.jpg

zJCas9f.jpg

vYXXcsY.jpg

Hey guys!
Long time lurker, first time poster. So I finally got the courage to start posting here and with that, I'd like to show you all an environment I've been working on lately! I would absolutely love all the feedback / critique / help I can get to try to make this into a wonderful portfolio piece.
Thanks in advance!

Scene Rendered in Cry Engine 3

e8vu.jpg

n5vl3.jpg

ihnd.jpg

z3fa.jpg

These are some of the low poly props from the scene. The gray models are the low poly with normal/spec maps added.

7kk9.jpg

ff2v.jpg

Replies

• David3D.The
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like your food and candles, would be nice to see more prop examples.
    Scenes really nice, feel like the lighting is a bit off in places and it feels almost a bit too bright and washed out in places.

But its still very atmospheric and looks good. :)
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Nice start, I'd look into adjusting the specular on your food props, at the moment they are very plastic.
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    Really awesome environment!
    For some reason I totally like these food models!
    Only critique from me is ( as said before) the lighting, which has a great atmosphere but makes it hard to see smaller details..
  • Somarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see what you guys mean. The lighting is so hard to get right for me. I kept trying to fiddle with it hoping to get a happy accident. I will try to work on it some more!
    Thank you for the feedback so far.
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    BLOOM!!

I really like that you are tackling this scene. How are you getting reference? Are you just watching that episode over and over? If so, how have you not gone into deep depression because of it? I'm still upset over the red wedding.

IN all though.. looks good man. Keep at that lighting. I want to see all that hard work.
  • Endfinity Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
    Simple and quick critique:

Where do you want me to look? What is focally most important?

All of your tables are lit similar, sharing a like value. Because of this, my eye is shooting from table to table, asset to asset without getting a good comprehension of what item should take precedence. Each table says "LOOK AT ME" (bloom's not helping).

Consider playing with a focal light source and then toning others down. Maybe Frey's table is the prominent piece? Maybe you tone down the others and really make the candlelight soft so that the eye finds interest there but ultimately leads to the table at the head of the room. Once you have that down, consider letting the light travel a bit more. A lot of the light that is hitting your table tops seems to stick into them like mud. Feels like a lot of key lights with an absence of fills. However, filling too much will flatten the image out, reducing contrast and drama.

It's certainly up to you, whatever you want on display, go for it. Right now, everything feels important and the composition and mood suffers because of this. Simplify - do more with less.

-Jon
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Nice!!

You're definitely hitting that atmosphere. The bloom is a little too intense, but overall looking nice.
  • mbischof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuck yeah dude. Keep it up.
  • Somarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE wrote: »
    BLOOM!!

I really like that you are tackling this scene. How are you getting reference? Are you just watching that episode over and over? If so, how have you not gone into deep depression because of it? I'm still upset over the red wedding.

IN all though.. looks good man. Keep at that lighting. I want to see all that hard work.

As there is not enough reference to base the entire environment off of, I had to imagine and use reference similar to some of the objects seen in the episode. I also tried looking at google images of the episode with little luck as most of the time the backgrounds are out of focus and its hard to see the details. I also watched the clip of the episode plenty of times...depression slowly but surely arose :'(
  • Jeffrotull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeffrotull polycounter lvl 3
    This is awesome dude, very inspiration especially for the piece I'm currently working on.
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    This scene is awesome man, I just have some critique for the assets like the bread the loaf thats cut in half doesnt look like there is really any change between the crust of the bread and the interior of the loaf, and the apple looks like it has just a little too much shine to it. Other than that that really love this scene. :)
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fantastic work so far and +1 for game of thrones set :) keep up the good work!
  • Somarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP wrote: »
    Nice start, I'd look into adjusting the specular on your food props, at the moment they are very plastic.

I fixed the spec on some of the props and here are some more prop renders as requested by David3D.The
    I am also looking to model some additional props after I get the lighting correct.

Thanks for all the comments guys. You really know how to boost a guys confidence! <3

PS: The order of images goes - (1)Model with fully rendered textures (2)Low poly model with Normal maps added (3)Low poly model with no textures.

d5j2.jpg

2l5a.jpg

6ff0.jpg

emdh.jpg
  • ZFerguson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those food items look alot better with the tweaked spec, it's coming along great man!
  • Somarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What other kinds of props do you guys think this needs? I was thinking a bowl of stew or something like that but I'm not sure how to go about making it.
  • RebSharkoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe yu could model some of the daggers or swords because that would bring a little more to the story of the blood on the scene. Also, they have them all around in the TV show when it happens. you could do the generic medieval sword. Your scene is looking pretty good though :)
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    This is so awesome man love to see a fly through.
  • Somarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe yu could model some of the daggers or swords because that would bring a little more to the story of the blood on the scene. Also, they have them all around in the TV show when it happens. you could do the generic medieval sword. Your scene is looking pretty good though :)

That's actually a great idea! I was thinking I would do some daggers and maybe crossbow bolts/arrows. I have to make sure not to be too excessive with the arrows though.
    I will post an update of the scene soon guys!
  • Somarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, just re did a lot of the lighting elements and removed A LOT of the bloom. I also added arrow and dagger props
    Lemme know what you think!

3n0o.jpg

y7k3.jpg

p01g.jpg

7zst.jpg
  • RebSharkoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's looking really good. The arrows and daggers do give it a little extra touch to the story. Props :)
  • Somarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend wrote: »
    This is so awesome man love to see a fly through.

Thanks! Im thinking about working on one.
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't even bother looking and just went straight to reply...

just wanted to say, can't wait to look at this project...

when I finish book 3. :poly136:
  • Somarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it`s back to me rango movie

Digital tutors is a good place if you have cash to spare. Otherwise Youtube is good too.
  • Le Mans Racer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That scene's looking really good. Keep at it!

The Lannisters send their regards.
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    What's motivating the lighting on the tables? It almost seems like there are chandeliers above each one, creating very uniform value across all of them (too many areas are equal in the value hierarchy). What do you want to be the focal point?

Very nice scene overall, but I agree that pushing the lighting will really take it to the next level.
  • Somarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New images are on the first post. Sorry for the long break! :P