Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Overpower Art Thread

cleankid
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
cleankid polycounter lvl 6
tumblr_static_21d06wotdjuso8gc44swg88o8.png

Hi guys, I posted some images for the game I am working on, but they got taken down when cghub went down, so I thought I would make a new thread and host the images elsewhere. So sorry about the reposts, but I do have some new art to show. I have been taking a stab at environment and figuring out our level so here are some updates.

A little info about Overpower:

Overpower is a free to play Fantasy Shooter game I am making with a friend in Unity. Hes doing all the coding / programming and I am doing the art. We have some friends chipping in here and there but its primarily been the 2 of us.

This is the first time I am attempting to make a game on the side. So I am learning a lot and just trying to figure things out. Anyways, here is some art :)

Crazy Bots running around fighting each other (temporary environment)

tumblr_n3h67ld6xM1rd0tvao1_1280.jpg

Arena Level prototype in Unity

tumblr_n4ju19lttL1rd0tvao1_1280.jpg

Take on forest Trees:

tumblr_n43sf3XTNg1rd0tvao3_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n43sf3XTNg1rd0tvao1_r1_1280.jpg

Characters, which I previously posted in another thread

tumblr_n3qumbFff21rd0tvao1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n3h66qZl1N1rd0tvao1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n3h66qZl1N1rd0tvao2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n3h66qZl1N1rd0tvao4_1280.jpg

Thanks for looking, I will continue to post updates in this thread from now on.

Replies

• CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Annd subscribed :D I love the style, the bark texture is sweeet! Good luck guys!
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_static_9dlxux86ids8sg8c40w0s0w4s.png

Hi guys, Its been a while since I have posted anything. I have been transitioning from character art to Env / UI / Logo stuff. I just wanted to share with you the progress on Overpower.

We have a new logo, we also have some new Icons for our classes and here are some in-game screenshots from Unity using Marmoset Skyshop Plugin to show how our first level is shaping up :D

I also made a tutorial for how I tile my subtools in zbrush to create tileable hand painted textures with a normal map! (see last image)

If you want to follow our development process more closely you can Like our facebook, follow our twitter, or tumblr:

https://www.facebook.com/overpowergame
    www.overpowergame.com
    @Overpowergame

Cheers!

tumblr_n6d86h0liB1rd0tvao1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n6bm53a2zc1rd0tvao1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5srsjF5sF1rd0tvao1_500h.jpg

T1GTKuU.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The scale for the wood texture looks off - the planks appear to be 3 feet wide and 10 feet long. Planks are usually much longer than they are wide. I'd tone down the gaps on both the stone and the wood, reducing both the size and the contrast.

Try to use a different stone texture for the floor than for the walls - it's visually confusing when both look the same.

Rather than using stone walls for obstacles, why not use hedges? Water is another excellent obstacle, slowing down or blocking characters while not affecting visibility (except for those pesky rogues hiding in it...)

I'd lose the shrubbery above the border walls - it doesn't look natural. A decent skybox/dome with a decent texture would suffice for a distant background - that's what the first few dozen Unreal Tournaments did, after all. Part of me, though, would like to see the entire arena dropped into a coliseum; sure it'd be expensive to do properly, but it would explain why people are running around killing each other.

Some of the stone textures - most notably those on the stairs - line up, forming obvious artificial lines.

It would probably make life easier for the players if the characters' colors were team, rather than class. based.
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Dwalker,
    Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to write that up. The level is very much a work in progress so some of the things you mentioned are temped in others like the texture scales I can easily adjust so thanks for bringing that up.

I would like to include some of the things you mentioned, water and hedges etc. I am still pretty new to Unity and have alot to learn about their Env tech before some of these things can be impleneted. Thanks again!
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

soo its been a long time since I posted an update, and I have a lot of new stuff to show you. I finished up the first arena level you will see it in the screen shots below along with a preview of the next level I am working.

I learned a ton about env art / level design / unity through the process of making the first level. I am taking these lessons and applying them to toward the 2nd level, I plan on going back and recreating the first arena again and it will be even better.. but until then here are some screen shots from Overpower!

Art Images:

EnbXMM4.jpg

mUaHJ6Y.jpg

BqsJvkSIgAAm1Zw.jpg:large

Bq_0Z06IcAAUPn0.jpg:large

In-Game Shots / Maps

tumblr_n7r7r7Lp5G1rd0tvao5_1280.jpg

tumblr_n7r7r7Lp5G1rd0tvao2_1280.jpg

4zZ8WxE.jpg

Youtube Tech Demo showing Capture Points

lonDtyx7lK8
    Well thats it for now, I hope you enjoyed the update. If you want to know more about the game and how it plays etc then check out our EPOCU profile, we have a design summary written up there and you can check us out and other indie games as well!

Cheers :D
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a lantern prop I finished making for the level. I am gonna try out this sketchfab thing too :D

BsXO59gCMAAN-xE.jpg

BsY0DlaCYAAmCh-.jpg

[SKETCHFAB]eaf107881219457dae093c2933256940[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Jandokenpon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Watch out for the harsh transition between the wall and the ground, a trim would make it look better and believable. For the lamp, the stone parts look wet so I would turn it down on the specular and gloss.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I remember seeing your work on some of the characters for the game, they look great! The only crit I would give is regarding the mage, it would be cool to see him with a larger staff or more exaggerated, just because the other character weapons seem quite exaggerated so it would be fitting with the style. Good stuff :)
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    Watch out for the harsh transition between the wall and the ground, a trim would make it look better and believable. For the lamp, the stone parts look wet so I would turn it down on the specular and gloss.

That's because it's metal, not stone. Maybe it could be more obvious material wise but why on earth would those parts be made of stone? xD
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    This looks really nice for now. Good luck with this project !
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, all very valid criticism :) thanks for checking it out!
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,
    Trying to get into the habit of updating more frequently the thread. So here is a WIP of the next warrior armorset for OP. Its still in the rough dynamesh state but I am using zbrush to concept the design. I basically just keep changing pieces until I find something I like. I am trying to make it look sweet without over detailing it. Feel free to let me know what you think. Thanks!

BtH2ZPBIYAE1NgE.jpg:large
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,

Its been a super long time since I have updated this polycount thread. So I want to introduce / re-introduce this game to people.

Overpower is a third person fantasy shooter game that I have been developing for over a year with some friends. It plays a lot like counter-strike but with melee weapons and magic.

I have a lot of art to share with you as well as a trailer!

logo.png
    We have a new logo! Courtesy of Mike Kasper (http://www.creatureartist.com/)

We also have a new gameplay trailer! If you only click 1 thing then watch the trailer :)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmGaWIe__UE[/ame]

Here are some recent screenshots from the game. I am using PBR Shading inside of Unity to light the levels / characters.

tumblr_nj2m26COaG1rd0tvao2_1280.png

tumblr_nj2m26COaG1rd0tvao3_1280.png

tumblr_nj2m26COaG1rd0tvao4_1280.png

All new character art:

overpower-game-war.jpg?1413428509

overpower-game-mage01.jpg?1413428507

overpower-game-assassin02.jpg?1413428491

overpower-game-ranger.jpg?1420866452

BaseMesh Sculpts

overpower-game-femalewip.jpg?1413875455

overpower-game-baserig.jpg?1413428492

overpower-game-base.jpg?1413428497

overpower-game-bases.jpg?1413428504

Here are some creatures I am working on that are part of one of the upcoming game modes!

I'm not sure what to name them. They are based off a Cat / Skunk / Turtle!

overpower-game-felcat.jpg?1423166447

overpower-game-skunk.jpg?1423166449

overpower-game-turtle01.jpg?1423166452

Well thats about it for this update. If you are interested in the development of the game I will post all our social media outlets. If you are interested in playing Overpower / and or supporting us as we release I would recommend signing up for our newsletter on our website at http://www.overpowergame.com

OP Facebook
    OP Twitter
    OP IndieDB

Thanks!
  • dimosM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, since one of your guys has a 6-pack you are gonna have to place the top 2 packs above the thoracic arch, directly underneath the pectoralis major.
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Touche, thanks for calling that out, you are indeed correct :)
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some New Character Work for the female mage character in Overpower

overpower-game-beautysculpt.jpg?1426882821

overpower-game-female-magewireframe.jpg?1426817855

overpower-game-female-magerender.jpg?1426817960

And a WIP sculpt of the male ranger playable class:

CBEOBdHUMAAjmaO.png:large
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    This is looking awesome! Would need to see the videos to check out gameplay, admittedly.
  • karytsukino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Hey! nice work here! You made a great improve with this characters. I really like your stylized anatomy and proportions! Great job with hand painted textures too. I cant wait to see more! Keep working good luck!
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Brian "Panda Choi, Thank you, I have a video for you to check out gameplay. It's from a few months ago, so the game is a little further along but it still captures the gist of what we're doing :D

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmGaWIe__UE[/ame]

Thank you Karytsukino, Glad you like the style!

Here are the finished renders of the male ranger:

overpower-game-ranger-malerender.jpg?1427766155

overpower-game-ranger-m-renderwireframe.jpg?1427766173
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, I have some screenshots of our new class, the female assassin!

tumblr_nrnajnioKb1rd0tvao1_1280.png

With wireframes:

tumblr_nrnajnioKb1rd0tvao2_1280.png

tumblr_nrnajnioKb1rd0tvao3_r1_1280.png
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone, I have another update on the game here and a new trailer! The trailer describes our current development status much more then pictures will so check that out!

Our goal is to recreate an MMO style PvP experience that is just as amazing as playing an MMO game but you don't need to grind for months beforehand!

Our inspirations are Counter - Strike / TF2 / Vanilla WoW / League of Legends / Tera

If you're interested in playing we have a newsletter sign up on our website!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIyTqP9SjeY[/ame]

JzTpk0h.png
    Wallpaper render of the characters posed in Marmoset

CQ0b4TDUAAAWmeB.png:large
    Here are the 9 levels we have playable currently.

These are some of our other social media outlets if you're interested in keep up with development as we head towards Greenlight!

Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    Tumblr
  • Casly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey there, just want to say i really like your game it looks fantastic!

but i have a question im new to sculpting and im litte curious, how much detail you sculpted into your characters? don't get me wrong but it doesnt seem that much i would love to know :)

greetz
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @Casly Im glad you like the game thank you for checking it out. I didn't put much detail into my characters. I wanted to go with a more simplified type of look. Does that answer your question?
  • TheQiwiMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheQiwiMan polycounter lvl 12
    Fantastic work! Will be following this! :D
  • Stinkfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    Man this is looking great! keep it up!
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone, It's been a few months since my last update. We're finally getting ready to release the game! On January 19th we're going to launch a simultaneous Kickstarter / Greenlight campaigns and move into closed beta immediately afterward!

Here is some gameplay footage that we used to apply for a spot in PAX East 2016.. 3 mins showing a bit of each class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4uCm4cPX2s

If you want to follow along / support us or be part of our launch you can check out these links:

Facebook | Twitter | Website | Newsletter | Instagram
  • albertagung.ag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @cleankid , your game looks great, I love it. I always appreciate for game artist who have completed their assets to be published in game. I have to say that I'm following your game through greenlight and kickstarter soon. Good Luck :)
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @albertagung.ag  Thank you so much!! I appreciate your support we're going to need all we can get! :)
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone.. 2 weeks until our Kickstarter launches.. here's a small update. We had a chance to play Overpower with the guys from MMOs.com. They did a video review which was just uploaded to youtube. Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cf_gofFSXk
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone! Overpower has launched on Steam Greenlight and Kickstarter! Plus we have a brand new trailer :) Check out our Kickstarter if you want to help support us in making an awesome game! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar1MOZ5q8ho
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We just got Greenlit on Steam today!! Check out our playable Demo and try out Overpower today :)
    Download the PC and Mac versions here!

For full Closed Beta Access on Steam launching February check out our Kickstarter Campaign
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    modelHere are 2 models made for the Kickstarter Campaign! The Royal Battalion Mage / Warrior Armorsets.

model
  • Markdidit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markdidit polycounter lvl 6
    LOVE all your guys' art!!  the style is so clean and optimistic!  my personal preference would be this with just a tiiiiny bit more bite, but the proportions and gestures in the shape are so much fun!  Really well done!!  Downloading the client now!
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi MARKDIDIT! Thank you very much! Let me know what you think of the demo too! :smile: