Offline / Send Message
Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
KVF111-Z-F2-L.jpg

IIFwWej.png
(High Poly)

tQivuhe.jpg
Slisgqk.jpg
(low poly + bake)
It currently sits at 3729 tris with a 2k texture.

I'm workin on my hard surface skills. I'd like to make this into a game-ready model. I'm using Xoliul Shader for 3DS MAX 2012 as my realtime renderer.

Replies

• Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Looks good. Clean bake. My only thoughts are that it's a rather lofty polycount for such a simple asset. For current gen ps4 x1 3 is nothing in FPS weapon terms.
    However I'd personally like to see it closer to 1250. You should be able to get the same amount of fidelity focusing on the view perspective with that polycount. You could get pretty close just by cutting out a lot of loops from the trigger guard, and cutting out the excess loops on the stock. You really don't need that tiny bevel where the recoil pad overlaps the stock. It'd never be seen in fps. In 3rd person. You wouldn't be close enough to notice it. So its wasting around a hundred tris you could use to round out key areas. Like where the stock meets the bolt. A spot very close to the camera with ADS.

All in all I wouldn't worry about it on this asset. Just finish what you have. And remembee that kind of stuff on your next one. I'm interested to see this textured. That's what will sell a gun this simple. Optimization doesn't take long to get a good grip on, but great textures are another thing.

Keep pushing forward and let's see the finale.
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the cc!
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PItWRa3.png

Okay here's my first rough texture block-out. I'm currently messign around with lots of wear, dirt, grime, etc. I'm also working on adding some gashes and scuffs to the stock in mudbox which I'll add later possibly.

Anything sticking out as wrong right off the bat?
  • cR45h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cR45h polycounter lvl 7
    Not really wrong but in that pic you posted the metals seem blued and wood pattern is different. No big deal, but I'd at least try to go for the blued metal since it looks pretty cool especially on older guns from that era :)
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    like how this is coming along. I personally like the winchester, good gun. thought about making one myself... may still do it :P
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZauOEf4.png

Here's an update.
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    i'm not really liking the gloss of your wood, its very noisy. and the texture on the barrel is really blurry.
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ga7k4Jv.png
    I need some material advice, do you guys think this looks like patina metal? If not, what would you suggest I go about doing in order to fix that? Gah I feel like I can never get materials right. (I'm using Xoliul Viewport Shader btw.)
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some of my reference.

j5Pw590.jpg
    nBkTAKL.jpg
    gePyPHk.jpg

It looks as though there's a thin layer of oxidation, so I tried recreating that.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At the moment, it looks more like rust than patina. Rifle barrels that have been well kept tend to have darker spots as they age:
    Winchester1873%20011.JPG

You don't need to over do it, however - a century isn't THAT old, assuming the weapon has been well-treated. These two examples are from the 1890s & 1860s, respectively.

IronFrameHenrySerialNumber900.jpg
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FVjbLBP.jpg
    Tjr6T7R.jpg

W.I.P.

Close to calling this damn thing done.
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    I think it looks decent, but right now the texturing is very uninteresting. What I mean with that is that there is no wear, no dirt or anything. It looks like you've just just defined the materials and are about to paint in the localized details (dirt, scratches, rust, fingerprints, etc.). I think it is a good start on the texturing, with some pretty good material definition but it could still look a lot more interesting.
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah actually I just started on going over and adding wear and tear. I'd like to improve it a lot that way.
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kjB4U2c.jpg
    Vg0p673.jpg

Some progress.
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GQRiobz.jpg
    JOyqhuu.jpg

I think I'm just about ready to call this done.