Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old West Inspired Environment

bassmatt00
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
bassmatt00 polycounter lvl 7
Hey Polycounters! Got a new project I'm working on, an old west style environment. This project is for a class and is meant to be built in modular pieces and reusable tiling textures and trim sheets. I'll be working in 3DS Max and UE4. To start off here is some of the work I've done so far for the class so you can familiarize yourself with my work...

screenshot007.png
screenshot003.png

So here is my little style sheet for this new project. I've only got 3 1/2 weeks left to work on this but I think it should end up pretty well.

Matt%20Carranza%20Environment.png

and some WIPs (totally forgot that UE4 isn't spaced out in the default Max units anymore so I gotta make some changes to my meshes to make it snap to the grid)

3.jpg
2.png
1.png

Replies

• jamiemurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jamiemurphy polycounter lvl 8
    Looking forward to seeing this progress,subbed.
    You can change the grid settings to how they were in previous versions.
    Edit > Editor Preferences, then look in Level Editor > Viewports. Under the Grid Snapping option, you will see a check box to Use Power of Two Snap Size
  • RaphaelM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just notice that in the wild west, everything is dusty. Your house textures look too colorful and the normal mapping especially on the floor looks wrong. Way too bumpy.
  • Ssjtroll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ssjtroll polycounter lvl 8
    Good start!
    For old wild west I think everything is too saturated. Everything then was dusty.
    The normal map on your wood floor is WAY to much. It looks like you took a photo and just converted it to a normal with the settings way to high. Because you see so much of the edges of the floors, maybe having geo for each plank then you will have some real nice break up of silhouette.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    You should try and add more variation in the buildings. It looks like the silhouette and layout of 1 building is being used 3 times? I realize the textures are a little different on each, but personally that still isn't enough variation.

Also, try and get the overall blockout finished before starting on the textures. That way it forces you to actually focus more on the composition, silhouette, and (if it's a playable level) the pacing of the scene.

It looks like an interesting project and a good start! Keep it up! :)
  • bassmatt00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all of the feedback peeps! I plan on dusting up the final models with some decals. I also desaturated the colors inside Unreal and fixed some normal map issues. Haven't started adding geo to the models but that should come soon.

So I actually did decide to take my scene back into UDK. I'm a lot faster and more familiar with it than UE4 and didn't want to waste time figuring out a new program when I can make it look pretty cool in something a little older.

Anyways, here's some progress shots from inside UDK. I'm still working on making window and door materials so I can make windows and doors (obviously). I'm also gonna be making a few wooden sidewalk/flooring pieces to thrown underneath and around the buildings. I plan on getting the standard crates and barrels into the scene along with old streetlights and flags/banners and maybe some telegraph poles with hanging wires.I also plan to spruce up the buildings with signage and decals to make it look more realistic. There will also be more variations of materials.

The screengrabs from 3DS Max are the pieces I'm currently using and the last shot is some WIP variants of what I want to add to the scene.

1.png
    2.png
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
  • bassmatt00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update bump. Check it out and feel free to comment or critique. Thanks for viewing :)

1.1.png
    1.2.png
  • bassmatt00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I started putting in some terrain textures. I also added some signs to a couple buildings, they still need to be textured but they're in the engine. I also added some dirt and mud to the walkways and made a couple extra props. Still got some work to do this week.
    1.png
    2.png
    3.png
  • bassmatt00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    made a few small changes with textures and such. I also added horse which my friend made (model and texture). Feel free to comment or leave feedback.

1.2.png
    1.3.png

some of the pieces I've been using...

Wire1.png
    Wire2.png
    Wire3.png
  • bassmatt00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok Polycounters, I need some help deciding which shot I should take my final renders from. Below are some examples which I've thought about. I have until this Saturday to work on this then I turn it in. Throughout the week I'll be adding more signage and I'll be working on the terrain texture a bunch.

1.1.png
    2.1.png
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The bunting on the saloon seems rather pristine compared to the rest of the town.

The weeds could use some work; they look pretty flat and with an odd shape.

The street is quite wide for a small western town.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    I leik dat hors in da windo
  • bassmatt00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks peeps. I'll definitely fix the road size and the bunting. And of course I'll keep the horse :) but for now enjoy these screenshots.

1.png
    2.png
    3.png
    Stuffs.png
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    is that grunge on the walls done by vertex paint or is that on the texture sheet?
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Hey man, cool looking scene. My only concern is I don't think brick and mortar buildings, and hydro/telephone wires were possible during the Old West' days. Might be something to look into.

Nice work so far though :)