Home Technical Talk

Normal maps will be the death of me!

Ok I think I’m getting to the end of my rope with this one so this would be a bit of a call for help! I will also apologize for the up and coming novel but thought I would provide as much information as possible.

I’m getting back into my modelling and have never been very strong with my normal map and texturing so started a tyre model to help me tackle this and so far it’s been working, I’ve read up on techniques and tools and I’m getting more confident with what I’m doing but this this one problem will not be fixed! And I have a feeling I’m making a small noob mistake that is so simplistic but I just can figure it out.

The model seems to be shading itself in variations from my uv islands. In the beginning It seemed to be changing the shadow direction but looking at the image below this doesn’t seem the case because the shadows are all unified in their direction.

KCLCnrS.jpg

So the process I followed was like this.

I modeled out the wheel and then the high poly around it.

I chopped up the low poly into a quarter of what it was then unwrapped.

I then copied the model and positioned back into a full tier then welded together and fixed and smoothing groups (UV’s islands are split up by smoothing groups as well).

I then offset the additional UV’s so that there was no overlapping in the 0-1 space.

Baked the high poly down with the following settings.

pEFXPmR.jpg

And applied!

The closest I have seemed to get to fixing the issue is altering the shaders normal map node to world instead of tangent but there is still a visible seem though not full miss coloration.

j9kAfpv.jpg

The purpose of the model would ultimately be to be a game asset but I thought the max renderer would be a good guide to see if there was any major issues with the textures though I have tried the model and textures in marmoset toolbag 1 and flipping the normal y and Z seems to work wonders but not in max.

2Wt58mG.jpg

Any help is really appreciated as this is soon going to bring me to an early grave, or the death of my PC XD