Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Guardians of the Galaxy Star-Lord

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Di$array polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys.

Sadly I missed the deadline for the Gameartisans's Comicon challenge this year due to other obligations but I still aim to finish this piece since it was so near completion. For the competition I decided to pick one of my favourite Marvel characters, Star-Lord.

Not being a fan of the latest redesign in ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’, I decided to roll with his most popular look in the DnA run.

Below is a reference sheet as well as a shot of the High poly. Currently I’m working on the low poly mesh, while giving his Kree submachine guns a bit of love in Zbrush.

Ref
SFCLUjN.jpg
High
UY9t6mD.jpg?1
Low
YJlckqU.jpg?1

Replies

• littlebump8
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Looking real nice. You could probably increase the mesh density through the chest and leg areas though. They are a lot lower poly than the rest of the character. Looking forward to seeing more.
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys.

@stevston89 - cheers for the advice. I've went back and added some additional polys here and there in the torso and legs.

Little update for me. I've just done a test bake for the Helm normals and I'm pretty happy with the results. At the moment I'm just finalising the Body's UVs and I'll get underway with baking the rest of the maps after that.

xxwbzFD.jpg?1
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Glad to see you sticking with this!
    One thing I noticed is that from the side view your face plate is much flatter than the one on your ref sheet. If you cut some geo into your low poly when your done with your bakes you could probably still get the same result without having to rework your low-poly.
  • Fenn
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenn polycounter lvl 3
    Di$array thanks for your comments. I am chiming in to say that I agree with MrHobo. I would also add that if you check the top of your helmet in side view and compare it to your reference you will find that yours is a bit taller. The shape in the reference seems to follow the shape of the cranium. I think if you made the mask and helmet match the ref in side view it will be 100% better.
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Hobo - Cheers pal. I brought the front panel out further to get a better silhouette but I may through some more poly toward the face plate and see how the layered look pans out. Cheers for the suggestion.

Fenn - Not a problem. Yeah as it's a slight redesign. I wanted to add some height to it as I had some pith helmet in my refs.

Well I got my maps baked out and I've applied a base colour pass to get an idea how it’s coming together. I've included the white and red coat trims to see which works best but I think I'll roll with the white as it matches the white in the gloves.

2I7XK71.jpg
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    right now your colors read pretty dark, when you get into it, i think a more vibrant approach would be better. Also, the white works better with the blue than the red does.
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Holy crap this is looking amazing! The high poly is very awesome. can't wait to see how this turns out when you finish the textures.
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    luge - Cheers for the feedback but I think it was down to the lightning system I was using. Personally I prefer the white but was just wondering if there was any love for the red :) I've included and updated image.

skylebones - Thanks bud, you and me both lol.

base light setup but it give you a better idea.
    cQpv8ra.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    What kind of texturing style are you going for with this? If you want something stylized that will look nice even when it's under very flat lighting, keep going as you are.

If you want it to be a bit more in line with current-gen workflows, though, I'd suggest removing that lighting info from your albedo so you can let your normals and geo do the brunt of the shading. Stick the AO into the occlusion slot in Marmoset and it will help things pop a little better.