Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Space chick

Hi there !
It's been a long time since I've posted something on PC !
Here's my current WIP.
She's some kind of space soldier.
I'm prety happy with her so far, but I need some constructive criticism on what I should improve, modify or tweak to make her better.
I'm working on some gear for her too, but nothing I'm happy with to show you.
Hope you'll like her.

qdtq.jpg
Any help greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    I think it looks really good so far! The only things that sticks out at me is it looks like the shoulders are way too far back. I can't tell because there isn't a side shot, but it almost looks like she's breaking her back. Also, her buttcheeks are way too narrow, it looks like she's trying to hold something in.
  • skullmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ JoltZero : Thank you for your feedback ! I reworked her leg and buttcheeks accordingly to your comment. For her shoulders, I'm not sure that they're too far back, it looks right for me.
    Here's the update :
    cp0k.jpg
  • Pabs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 11
    good work. look forward to your progress.
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    Looks very good so far. I think the shoulders looking so far back in the first shots are mostly due to her arms being a bit backwards.

The butt is better now, but I think it still looks a bit too 'attached' at her lower back. Like it's a tag-on pair of spheres.

I am currently working on my first character and I appreciate well done character faces so much. Took me 40 hours to stop making mine look like a bowling ball :D
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    There are a few proportion issues throwing it off currently. The legs are too long, the torso is a bit too long, the arms are too short, the head is too small, an the neck is too long. Here is a paint over suggestion.

ZeCwVZC.gif
  • skullmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ scapulator: Thank you!
    @ Xaragoth: Thank you for your comment! Do you mean that her butt is too round?
    @ stevston89: Thank you for your paintover ! I wasn't aware that my brain was subconsciously aiming for such "heroic" proportions! I'll try to fix this issue!
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ scapulator: Thank you!
    @ Xaragoth: Thank you for your comment! Do you mean that her butt is too round?
    @ stevston89: Thank you for your paintover ! I wasn't aware that my brain was subconsciously aiming for such "heroic" proportions! I'll try to fix this issue!

It might just be the angle again due to the hands, but from the backview it looks like there is no smooth transition between her butt and her body. Like the butt is glued on. Basically the area directly above her butt (and also her buttcrack) need a bit more smoothness in terms of transition.

It might just be the angle right now, so a better view of her lower back/butt area might help to determine if it's just my eyes :)

Also I'd appreciate a close up turn-around of her face :D
  • skullmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, here's a different view on her butt:
    tyih.jpg

And here's the face close-up turn around:
    qmwo.jpg
    And here's what she looked like back in 2011 (on the left) and 2012 (on the right):
    k6ps.jpg
    I'm pretty happy with what she looks like right now, but it was a long, hard and tedious work to get there, a lot of tweaking and polishing, putting the model away for a while and coming back to work on it. But I think it worth it as I'm a big fan of Cezar Brandao and Eugene Fokin girls faces (to name only theese two...) and my goal is to achieve something as good as their work...
  • FlorenceThibault
    Nice character! The only think that bugs me is the shape of her skull, especially the back of her head. I think it's too wide. Other than that, great work. Keep it up! :thumbup:
  • SveinY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Looking good dude but I think she got way too narrow head. I made a real quick liquify in PS to show you :)
    4zongC6.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Her forehead is sticking too far forward as well. The top of the skull should hit near the middle of the skull as a soft peak. You currently have a sort of plateau on the top of the head. Agree the face could be wide as mentioned by SveinY. Looking good face wise though.
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, that's a damn upgrade for sure :) Agree with Florence, the head shape is a bit whacky!

For the butt I think a bit of smoothing might really make it look more natural. There is a small dent in it on yours, just above the cheeks. That shouldn't be quite there.

For Ref I suggest Hazardous stuff:
    http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/118/f/8/morrigan_base_body_tweaks_by_hazardousarts-d63g4bu.jpg

Basically you want the butt to be a bit more in a upside-down heart shape :)

edit: lol, how did I break that link?
  • skullmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Xaragoth: Thank you for the link ! Hazardous is another great artist whose work is very inspiring.

@ SveinY: Thank you for your quick paintover ! Sh'e's looking better like this !

@ FlorenceThibault: Thank you ! I'm not sure with what you mean, maybe it's the perpective...

@ stevston89: Thank you ! I've trimed her forehead a bit. Much better now !
    Here's an update of her face and body. I've tweaked her proportions and made her head wider acordingly to your comments.

Here's a turntable of her face:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL6AQeQT3yA

And here's on of her body:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsepq1P2qnM

(If someone could tell me how to embed youtube videos...)

Feel free to give me more feedback !
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I will try. It's slowly hitting the points where I can't find mistakes anymore, partially because it's so well modeled and partially because it hits my wall of knowledge :) But funny enough your turn-arounds might help me fix a few anatomy mistakes (especially of the head) of my own female mesh I am working on for a while now.

1. If this is a suit - which I assume it is and she isn't naked, I am pretty sure the kneecaps wouldn't be that refined - or if they are, you'd probably have the suit tight enough that the back of the knee would also show the muscle structure.

2. I believe, but I am not entirely sure even with looking at Ref and personal experence, that the stomach is a bit too much forward and the downward curve towards her crotch is a bit too extreme. But I'd rather someone with more experience comments if that is a correct observation before you do anything to it.

3. The back-line doesn't go as high as it does for your mesh. The neck usually doesn't show it, but in your case, it has it there. Maybe it's just for a zipper or something you plan to put there?

That is pretty much it. I don't think there's anything else I can find even after looking for a while.

edit: Fixing sleepy mistakes. Think I got them all.
  • FlorenceThibault
    What I meant is that I think there is too much space between her ear and the back of her head. You can correct it just by pushing the ear more towards the back of her head. I did a little paintover to show you what I mean. Hope it helps :)
    tetecorrection.jpg
  • skullmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys !
    Here's the new update on her face. I went less rad in my modifications than FlorenceThibault (with such a name, are you french ?) suggested, but she looks definitively better like this !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8ZvOONTyaE

And now, as I'm enjoying constructive feedback that much, I'd like to share with you some other WIPs I'm working on. I'm trying to achieve portfolio quality with all of them.

Here's a daemonette:
    2qzs.jpg

44oy.jpg

And here's a dark faery:

qetgh.jpg

67akz.jpg

Here's a minotaur:
    1b4q.jpg

hyrk.jpg

And an Orc:
    n019.jpg

ydbp.jpg

Last one is a speed sculpt on which I've tried to break symmetry:
    3n2g.jpg

Comments and criticism realy appreciated !
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The video is private :)
  • skullmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry ! I've edited the previous post :\
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I know it's really natural to assume there is a ton of mass at the back of the skull, but generally there isn't. It tends to be pretty flat from the back of the skull to the base of the neck. This does vary a bit from person to person. Here is some real life reference to help out. Also I think you have the mouth to far forward, the forehead too rounded, the eyes a bit high, and ears too low. I did a quick paintover to address some of this.

Oh nice sculpts by the way. Be careful of over defining muscles. Unless the character has taken a ridiculous amount of steroids the muscle indications will be fairly soft.

dsc_0020.jpg

NPckNba.jpg
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think on the new turn-around the cheeckbones are a bit far forward. Looking at it from a certain angle makes that very visible.

For the other sculpts, one thing that I saw right away now that I got a few minutes, is that your Orc has way too short legs and a bit too long a body. pull up the crotch a bit to fix that.