Noise polycounter lvl 6
Last Update :
MessHall_MainView.jpg
MessHall_Shot1.jpg
MessHall_Shot3.jpg
MessHall_Break1.jpg
MessHall_Break5.jpg

Hello guys

I'm starting a new project and I choose to make a fan art of Thief with a concept from Mathieu Latour-Duhaime.

From now I have the preproduction planning done.
I'm moving to the 3D blockout, placeholder texture and a raw lighting into CryEngine this evening/night.

I'm also planning to put this into UE4 and make a comparaison shot between both engine. As I never used UE4 before I hope making him justice for a first try.

Concept
matlat-thief-asylum-mess-hall.jpg

Concept with some more light to see details
Concept.jpg

Cut
  • Blue: Props/specific
  • Yellow/Orange: Generic
  • Purple: Modular
  • Green: Trim
Cut.jpg

Mood
Mood.jpg

Architecture
Archi.jpg

Props
Props.jpg

Replies

• RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Good start so far
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    Nice to see such an extensive block out, probably should have put an image heavy tag in the title though. Wouldn't want to have opened it on mobile lol.
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    @ Boozebeard
    Oh gosh yes I totally forget this. I'll reduce them to change this heavy loading.
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Here is some progress :

I need to make a corner for the 2 corners of the room. Witch is not in the concept I also change the roof to have something closed.
    I'll make the ornamentation when doing some highpoly stuff for the ceiling and all other trim. Will be the right moment to try out the NUMRS instead of turbosmooth modifier.

What I will do in the next hours is :
    • Trim above the ornamentation piece
    • Pipe work
    • Stage
    • Hanging lamp
    • Table
    • Bench
    • Chair

I'll probably make all props with highpoly and for the wooden one break up the shape into Zbrush make a quick retopo.

Mess_Wip1.jpg
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Ok here's some progress after a couple of hours more (not so productive thought)

I still need to make
    Pipes
    Some stuff for the stage to actually called it done
    Hanging lamp
    Chair
    Corner

I'll make those stuff and keep going on the rest of the props, I need to tweak what I have now to go more toward the concept.

The props I want to add today
    Water can
    Trolley
    Tray
    Plate
    Small table

I also place the room into CryEngine and start a raw lighting. It's highly wip as the Id are not setup correctly and some meshes are flipped as there is a symmetry modifier on them, like the plinth

Mess_Wip2.jpg
    Mess_Wip3.jpg
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Focus of the day :
    • Stage some tweak to do
    • Pipe fastenning/support
    • Corner
    • Water can
    • Plate and mug
    • Cart
    • Wheelchair
    • Piano
    • Bag

I spent some times to actualy figure out the vertex ambient occlusion. there is still a problem, My radiosity keep to be invalidate when I assign the vertexpaint modifier. Anyone have some clue why ?
    I tried in a default max scene on a plane.

Mess_Wip4.jpg
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Progress :
    Mess_Wip6.jpg

Ok some progress not so much but I'm heading slowly to the modeling end. My schedule is all fuck up as I totaly forget I'll be away for the whole week end. So I'll reschedule all my planning during the week end. For now I'm doing the more I can.

Need to do :
    • Water can
    • Wheelchair
    • Half of the piano
    • Bag
    • Curtain
    • Optimization pass

I'll be also moving stuff to make the composition a bit better. And once I have done this I'll be able to plan some modular meshes to add into the ground to give some variations with missing tiles/broken one.

The next big step is highpoly modeling and some Zbrush work.
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    looking good so far, can't wait to see more
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Started a bit of texturing. I need to put more work on the texture, especially for transition. I keep the grim, wear and tear at a pretty much low level on those texture as they are the ceiling one. I still need to make the trim one and start making the transition stuff as I'll have all the upper windows part textured.

I still need to see if I'm going more a dishonored style with less detail and more color variation. But I'm really happy how those texture turn. as they tend to be like my shield one. What do you think ?

Mess_Wip7.jpg
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    The wood looks awesome!
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    komaokc wrote: »
    The wood looks awesome!

+1
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    was thinking the same thing, wood looks awesome.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I agree :) I like the blockout too. Looking forward to seeing more!
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks you guys. As you seems to like it I'll continue the whole thing with this art style. More to come during the next week. Can't work over it during this week-end.
  • artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That wood texture looks nice!
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Today progress :
    • Change the ground of the stage to something more realistic.
    • Make the flooring of the whole room. With the blending
    • Base color and material for almost all the trim texture. Need to heavily tweak it now to get something cool.
    • Refined a bit the light, Will make another pass after some more texture work.
    • I saw I left a light I use to better see my texture on instead of shutting it done before making the screen.

To be done tommorow
    • Seamless wall + blending + color change
    • Final trim texture
    • Final ceiling texture (transition work)
    • Some props texture
    • Final mod for piano and Uv
    • Cart UV
    • Add attach of the pipe above the stage hole
    • Add some handle to the windows
    Here's some screenshots. I'm quiet happy with the result but I feel there is a lot of room for improvement.

Mess_Wip9.jpg
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Quick small progress update. I really need to get back to work on this and move faster. I was mostly doing uv stuff so it's a bit a hidden task.

Mess_Wip17.jpg
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Some close up/breakdown of the textures

Mess_Wip19.jpg
    Mess_Wip18.jpg
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Back to work on this scene !

Made some change according to a paintover made from FuturePoly. It change a bit the bacic concept but I think it's for the best !

Mess_Wip20.jpg
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    I have slowly work on this for now. I have hide all props and focus on the room to have it in a complete state first then go back to props.

I'm currently working on all the decal, transition, post process, light thing.

Mess_Wip24.jpg
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Here is some progress.

Mess_Wip35.jpg
    Mess_Wip31.jpg
    Mess_Wip32.jpg
    Mess_Wip33.jpg
    Mess_Wip34.jpg
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mellon3D polycounter lvl 13
  • edwardsomatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This will probably sound dumb to a lot of people, but was that wood sculpted or just made in Photoshop? I can't tell.
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    All photoshop for now there is nothing baked out of a sculpt, I'll probably only do the table, bench, the small stair and some rumble dirt within Zbrush.
  • edwardsomatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise wrote: »
    All photoshop for now there is nothing baked out of a sculpt, I'll probably only do the table, bench, the small stair and some rumble dirt within Zbrush.

Yeah sounds good, it looks awesome dude keep as is.
    Can't wait to see this progress, great job so far.
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Here is some progress on the texturing.
    Don't be shy and go ahead with feedback, I'll not bit you, I take it well.

Mess_Wip36.jpg
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    looks awesome! some if the coolest looking wood textures i've seen in a while. the tables look to have some smoothing group problems. maybe throw a few more loops in the planks to smooth it out or separate the groups a bit more?

the only other thing I would say it that there is no focal point, my eyes dont know where to look. the floor tile texture you did was pretty sweet so maybe make the checkered tiles bigger or break them up with some patterns of different coloured tiles.

cheers!
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Hey thanks for the nice word and feedback.

As for the table top I already fix the problem as I had the same comment on the FuturePoly forum. Still I will probably add some more geometry in.

As for the focal point I need to make the eyes rest on the stage of the room, that's why the lighting is more intense there. But for the tiles, I can't really work with a different size as the broken one are based on the actual size of the tilling texture.
    I'll look to add some stuff on the ground to break up the checker chest looking of the ground. And give some flat space.
    I'll work a bit more on the vertex blending and bring some more dirt.

But yeah I'll definitely look to make something to give some rest and more focus to the stage.
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    So I made some change for the focal point and also made some more texturing.

MessHall_MainView.jpg
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    wood textures are awesome!

I think your volumetric light/lightshafts from the windows are a little distracting if you compare it to the concept. Either make them less opaque or even get rid of the first on the left side.. I think it really takes away a lot of that focus (if the stage is where you want the viewer to look)... might be wrong though. hmm

it's a shame that you can't really see the wonderful ceiling from the camera's perspective.
    nice work!
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been following this on the Futurepoly forum awesome work I love the wood textures. Floor and lighting is really nice too. One thing I was going to suggest is a bit more damage on the edges of the table tops to break up the straight edges a bit more but, I guess they have no real reason to be that damaged? Maybe pulling some of the planks a bit apart from each other on one or two of the tables could be another way to do it.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Things are looking really nice in this. I think the only suggestion I have is that you should probably have separate smoothing groups for the tops of the wood planks that your tables are made of. The strong gradients on them right now look really weird and it's almost certainly a direct result of having averaged normals.
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks guys for the feedback.

@Cay
    I'll try to have some more gradient intensity from front to back. It's pretty much only some vertex alpha tweaking in 3dsmax, so it a fast test to make and well I must say that it will probably help to make the focus a bit more on the stage.

@Matt
    Hey thanks, I still need to polish the texture with ddo and sculpt the border of the plank so I will have some more edge breaking into the plank. And I didn't thought about moving them a bit. but I'll do it as it's a nice idea to break the straight line out of the table.

@Swizzle
    Those plank top make me crazy. I will look again at them but I increased a bit the mesh resolution and have the top part set on the same smoothing group. But as I'll try what Matt said I might have again a look at them.
    I have a chamfer on the the top border to avoid the box/lowpoly look but I may have set it a bit to wide.

As someone ask in PM, I will make a breakdown of the ceiling texture witch is almsot the same process for all the wood in the scene. But give me a bit of time to make it.
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Ok I found out why my normal wasn't exporting well, it's only because I forget to tick one box in the exporter.

I'm calling this done for now. I'm moving on another project it'll be Sci-fi within UE4 with a big pipeline based on the new DDo and NDo. In one term totally out of my comfort zone.
    The wood breakdown will be done by this week-end. I upload it as soon as I have it done.

MessHall_MainView.jpg
    MessHall_Shot1.jpg
    MessHall_Shot2.jpg
    MessHall_Shot3.jpg
    MessHall_Shot4.jpg
    MessHall_Shot5.jpg
    MessHall_Break1.jpg
    MessHall_Break2.jpg
    MessHall_Break4.jpg
    MessHall_Break5.jpg
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Ok so finally here's the breakdown. If you need more information on it feel free to ask.

I of course use here and there some Level, Brightness/Contrast and Hue/Saturation to achieve the final look of the texture but you have the overall process shown on the breakdown.

I also sometimes create a copy of the second color variations layer and put a Hue/Saturation in colorize and color blending mode.

And sometimes I still use Ambient occlusion and cavity map but with a very low opacity and not in black and white, I usually use a flat color in color mode to tweak them with a more blueish color or a darker color than my base color.

Where you have a soft light blending mode, you can also use overlay or hard light mode. The overlay one are better to keep this way especially the value variations one.

I also tend when it come to the color variations done by hand so separate the blue color from the other to make it those one another layer and set the blending mode differently as the blue give a color going black in overlay mode. And I prefer to use the screen mode. Depends on the look I want to achieve in the end.

opacity value are given as example don't stick to it.

Breakdown_Wood.jpg
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    nice breakdown, cheers
  • marcobar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marcobar polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks so much for the breakdown! It gave me some ideas for how to approach the textures in my current project.

The scene looks amazing! I've been following the thread since your blockouts, just haven't commented because I didn't really have anything useful to add. I just finished the game a little while ago, and you've managed to make your scene fit right in stylistically. Nice work.