Home Technical Talk

Can someone explain this metallness/PBR thing to me.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Count Vader polycounter lvl 12
I've read through http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice

Maybe I'm just really stupid, but I still couldn't figure out the answers to the questions I have:

How is it an improvement from the diffuse/spec/gloss workflow and

In order to adopt to this new workflow, what exactly am I supposed to do differently? What do I lose or gain control over by switching over?

Replies

• commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Effectively as I understand, it allows you to spend less time to get the same or better results. The metalness workflow is essentially a mask that will either give you a predetermined specular value for anything that isn't metal. For things that are metal, the albdeo is predetermined and the specular is drawn from the albedo. So, for metal, you are making the "old" specular map in the albedo. For any other material, its just "color" Gloss (or roughness/microsurface) is just how smooth, and therefore, shiny something is.

Some caveats, don't put AO or anything like that in your albedo. In Toolbag, and other PBR supported engines the shaders will have slots for these maps now. And, since gloss and AO are grayscale, you can put these in the same texture in different channels to save memory. The metalness can go in the alpha. Which is a nice by-product of this workflow, more bang for your buck.

I THINK I've covered the basics. If I am wrong anywhere, anyone who knows the correct answer please correct me. I need to know this stuff accurately too ;)
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    The PBR theory page should help you understand http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-theory
  • Gestalt
  • highbred3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Metalness effectively aims to simplify your workflow by removing the need to manually redistribute energy across your diffuse, specular intensity and color maps, and your IOR settings if you are in VRAY for example. It's much simpler and will usually be far more accurate.

So to shift your workflow, now all you have to worry about is painting accurate albedo and metallic color values into your diffuse map (usually without AO), and simply create a mask for what is metallic.
  • Count Vader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the responses everyone, I think I'm sort of starting to wrap my head around it.

The stuff on the toolbag site is informative but doesn't really explain what exactly has changed from the traditional workflow.

What I'm getting so far is essentially spec and gloss have been merged into one property called 'roughness' that simultaneously controls both highlight radius and intensity, since the two are inherently tied anyway?

I'm not really sure what implications this has on the diffuse/albedo map however. It just means that in cases like metal, there's no albedo map at all, since high reflectivity doesnt really allow for surface colors?
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    In the case of UE4 at least, for non-metals the base color is the diffuse/albedo color and for metals it's the color of the metal.

The 'gloss' value used in the old method was essentially always there to describe the roughness of the surface (tighter highlights for glossier surfaces like polished wood vs looser highlights for rougher surfaces like unpolished wood). Now you'd use the roughness value to describe that (low roughness for polished surfaces and higher roughness for less polished ones).

The difference is that the old method was mostly a hack of changing the radius/sharpness of the highlight and not actually a shading model to describe the polish/roughness in a physically based way.
  • Count Vader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotcha. Well that is a positive, as I have always wondered why the hell spec didn't simultaneously control the intensity AND radius of highlights, this aspect of the 'traditional' framework of texturing has always seemed very counter-intuitive and bizarre to me.

I'm still v. confused about the whole metalness thing though. In UE4, is it essentially the reflectivity of the surface? Or is reflectivity defined by roughness?
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    I am in the same boat as you trying to learn PBR for UE4. My main concern right now is how to practically do a roughness map.

I read somewhere that is the same thing as a gloss map but inverted as black becomes white and white becomes black, is this a correct assumption?

also I never used gloss maps so i got no idea where to start out whit this. does anyone got good tutorial on how to create a glossmap cor roughness map?

thanks
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    My main concern right now is how to practically do a roughness map...
    also I never used gloss maps so i got no idea where to start out whit this. does anyone got good tutorial on how to create a glossmap cor roughness map?
    There are three links in this thread that should help give you a very good start
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    downarmy wrote: »
    I am in the same boat as you trying to learn PBR for UE4. My main concern right now is how to practically do a roughness map.

I read somewhere that is the same thing as a gloss map but inverted as black becomes white and white becomes black, is this a correct assumption?

thanks

With roughness, black is the most reflective, white is totally diffuse. well, technically 0 and 1. All of the detail you used to put into your spec maps, now goes into roughness. In my short experience with PBR. I have primarily used maps as masks to lerp between two values of roughness,
  • Count Vader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My other question is, is there still a practical way to texture assets in marmoset while getting a faithful preview of how it wll look in unreal, while using the same texture maps. That is to say, do I still need to make individual spec and gloss map for marmo, but then make another roughness map for unreal?

I much prefer texturing in marmoset, since you get instantaneous material updates, whereas in UE you have to reimport the textures each time, which is a huge pain especially when making tons of small adjustments.

This worked well before, but now it seems they use different texture maps from one another?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only practical difference between gloss maps in TB2 and roughness maps in UE4 is that UE4 uses an inverted scale, where black = glossy, while TB2 black = rough. In TB2, simply click the invert checkbox in the gloss section and you have a "roughness" map instead. There may be some minor differences in the exact mapping of values, but nothing that quickly adjusting the gloss slider can't fix.

You can also change the reflectivity module from specular to metalness to get the same behavior as UE4 there too.
  • Count Vader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up. So in that instance, do I forgo the spec map in TB2 all together, since as far as I understand the spec map input is no longer a thing in UE4?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up. So in that instance, do I forgo the spec map in TB2 all together, since as far as I understand the spec map input is no longer a thing in UE4?

You'll want to use a metalness map instead of a specular map if authoring for standard UE4 shaders.
  • Count Vader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, understood. Sort of. The 'metalness' map in TB2 is analogous to the 'metallic' input slot in UE4 then?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, works the same.
  • Count Vader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotcha.

I'm just going back and studying the diving helmet textures now.

So, a metalness map essentially specifies whether something is metal or not in a 'binary' sense (as in it is just black and white with no real in between values) and then the metal parts are 'modulated' via the gloss/roughness maps as far as surface variation goes? Is that about right?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, metalness maps should generally be 0 or 1.

Metalness defines whether the surface is a raw metal or not (this is important, painted metal isn't metal for instance, its paint).

For metalic surfaces, the specular intensity is pulled from the albedo map, while the diffuse is darkened to 0 (raw metals reflect nearly 100% of light, so they don't really have a diffuse component).

For insulators, or non-metals, the diffuse color is pulled from the albedo map, while the specular intensity is set to a fix value (0.04 or so), as most non metals reflect light in vary narrow range of values.

Gloss/roughness maps define how glossy or rough a surface is, and how tight or wide the specular reflections are. Glossier surfaces have tighter, more intense highlights, while rougher surfaces have wider/blurrier and more dim highlights. This applies regardless of material type.

All of this is explained in depth in the two tutorials we put together for the Marmoset site:

Read this one first to understand the concepts: http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-theory

Then this one to understand the practical implications: http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice

If you've already read them, read them again! A lot of the questions you're asking here are explained in these articles. It seems like you're starting to undestand this a bit more so I think a re-read would be very helpful.

Also, get in there and try creating content with this workflow, I think you'll learn a lot more by trying it than by asking questions.
  • Count Vader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good call, I had read the articles on the toolbag site before, but found the amount of new information a bit overwhelming. I made this thread to sort of help myself 'digest' some of these concepts in a more bite sized format, and now having re-read the articles yet again, I understand them much better.

I'm still unclear on some things, like for instance how I would represent a shiny insulator like plastic or car paint.

I'll start messing around with putting it into practice tommorow though and hopefully that will help me understand even more.

Thanks again for all your feedback, it's cleared up a lot of stuff!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Please don't quote me on this as I'm in the same boat, still learning this workflow myself in my free time. From what I gathered for something like paint/plastic as you mentioned, I guess map wise this would be:

Create the diffuse color for them in the Albedo
    Metallic set to black
    Roughness would have a quite a white (or black if you're inverting it) value to make the surface fairly glossy

I would also like to know where these values are used for each material, e.g. 0.04 for charcoal or something like that!
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Torch wrote: »

I would also like to know where these values are used for each material, e.g. 0.04 for charcoal or something like that!

These values are for Specular map, but if you use Metalness, you don't have to worry about specular levels of the non-metal materials. And you put values for metal materials in your Albedo map.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    These values are for Specular map, but if you use Metalness, you don't have to worry about specular levels of the non-metal materials. And you put values for metal materials in your Albedo map.

Superfranky - thanks, this seems a lot easier. Howcome metalness isn't used all the time, or is just down to different engines having different workflows? So for something like, say, cracked leather, this would be painted in the Albedo and highlights would be changed in the roughness? Isn't there a lack of control for specularity if there's no spec map for it, as it's set to black on the metallic map?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generally engines will use a full color spec map, or a metalness map. The biggest difference is really how the content is packed. Its true that the metalness workflow gives you less control, but its more efficient memory wise as you can pack more info into less textures. The theory with the metalness thing is that it is harder for artists to use incorrect specular values (artists have a tendency to eyeball stuff, which often looks ok under one set of lighting but totally wrong in another).

As far as glossy plastic goes, you should be able to do this just fine with a metalness map and your gloss map. Something like a car paint shader is more complex and would likely require a custom shader.

The gloss/roughness map again, simply defines how rough or smooth the surface is. If the surface is a glossy plastic, you make it glossy in the gloss map. For wear and tear and such, say for where the gloss coating on the plastic is worn off, you would make it more rough in the gloss map. You shouldn't be painting highlights or lighting of any sort into any maps with modern shaders.

The best way to visualize these concepts is to load up TB2/EU4, add a sphere, and play with simple paramateric materials. Adjust the gloss/roughness values, observe how the reflections change. Play with the metalness value, etc.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Superfranky - thanks, this seems a lot easier. Howcome metalness isn't used all the time, or is just down to different engines having different workflows? So for something like, say, cracked leather, this would be painted in the Albedo and highlights would be changed in the roughness? Isn't there a lack of control for specularity if there's no spec map for it, as it's set to black on the metallic map?
    For cracked leather metalness would be 0(pure black), because it's not metal. Albedo should be brighter than you expect. Everything else with the material you do in roughness/gloss map. If there are stains or grunge on the material you need to add that to albedo/metalness/roughness too.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Good explanation, thanks!
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Metalness doesn't mean whether it's reflective or not, it means whether the material is metallic or not. You can have non-metals that are also very shiny and reflective. Metals and non-metals treat their reflections differently, and the engine switches between these two models depending on the value.

For a quick understanding of the differences, a metal will have reflections with color to them and a non-metal will have reflections that are the same color as the light source (so white highlights for white light).

What you choose depends on what type of paint you're making.

If you're making a metallic paint then use a metallic value of 1 and use a fairly low roughness value so that it's polished/shiny.

If you're doing something like interior paint then use a metallic of 0 and change the roughness depending on what type of finish you want.
    Sheenguide1.jpg

'Flat' might have a roughness of 1.0 and 'semi-gloss' might have a roughness of 0.2, if you wanted something that had reflections like glass you might use a value of zero.

Notice in that picture that the highlights are white. The paint is non-metallic, you would set the metalness to 0.

The 0.02 for graphite refers to the base color. So for RGB you'd have 0.02, 0.02, 0.02
    It's almost black but you should never set any base color to 0. Graphite tends to be pretty rough and diffuse looking so you would set the roughness close to 1 depending on how much of a highlight you want. Generally you don't have to touch the specular value, if you want something to look more diffuse then increase the roughness. Adjust the specular value when you want to keep the same sharpness of the reflections but reduce the intensity as seen on the parts of the surface that are facing the camera (sort of like changing the IOR). It'd be best to leave that value to the end.
  • Mordin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good explanation. So there is no specular map (representing light shining back) in UE4 because the values for non-metals and the values for metals are so close together. It is either a metal or isn't. Is that right? Should you only use a Metalness of 0 or 1? Would you ever use a Metalness of 0.5 for anything?
    What if you had an object/material that had non-metal and metal parts on one texture map?
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mean you could use something in between if you wanted to and if it looked right but for most things it's metal or not. Something in the middle might represent a more complex material with both metal and non-metal present in it, maybe a metal with dew on it or something like that.

The best thing to do is to get a good feel of what sliding between 0 and 1 for metalness does and using that as your guide (if you want a little bit more color in the specular then maybe add a little metallness). At the end of the day it's just a shader model and you have to use it in whatever way gets the right look.

edit:
    non-metal to metal
    metallic.Png

edit2:
    and here's roughness (on a non-metal)
    roughness_nonmetal.Png
    a roughness of 0 is polished and shiny and roughness of 1 is almost diffuse
    here's roughness on a metal
    roughness_metal.Png
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be clear, in terms of Unreal Engine 4, you almost always want metalness to be 0 or 1. You can sometimes use a fractional value, but it's really meant to be an on/off switch.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    WarrenM wrote: »
    To be clear, in terms of Unreal Engine 4, you almost always want metalness to be 0 or 1. You can sometimes use a fractional value, but it's really meant to be an on/off switch.

I was reading about this as well and was mentioned in Andrew Maximov's tut, you never want to fudge the values, just have it as 0-1 like you said. Thanks for the detailed explanation as well Gestalt!
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah just to reiterate if I wasn't clear, for pretty much all your materials you're going to want to stick to either non-metal or metal, 0 or 1. It's a binary thing for the most part.

This isn't to say it's not possible to do something in between, but the material you'd be representing would have unusual qualities. For example, if you're trying to do a spray paint that has both polymers and metallic flecks in it, then you might be able to get away with generalizing that as something fractional that isn't quite a full metal or full non-metal. Just keep in mind they're two different shader models for two different types of materials.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, values other than 0 or 1 could theoretically be used for partial metals (which are pretty rare in the first place), but even then I think I would get in touch with a technical artist or engineer on the team, because the math there is a bit messy when it comes to non binary values for metallics.

Then you have rust, or very old and worn metals that simply don't reflect like a raw, pure metal does, which can be easily represented with a non-metalic value.

In some cases a soft fade makes sense, for like dust or other micro-surfaces where the actual particle is probably smaller than a pixel in your texture, or for material transitions in general, If you stick to rigidly to only 0 or 1 transitions can be very harsh. Those are probably the only situations I would recommend having non binary values in normal use.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can somebody explain the roughness a bit for me? For example, the brushed metal. Reflectivity is a set value, and roughness should be grayish. I can set roughness with a slider in marmoset, but it's just a preview, how do I achieve it in photoshop? Should I paint the metal in grey value and make scratches a bit darker than that or make it white(for mirror) and use scratch details to add roughness of the needed value to the material?

Sorry if that makes no sense :)
  • Mordin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @superfranky Roughness is a lot like the old speculat maps, eg. its where all the detail goes. You could start with a grey value and paint scratches. I would probably try a lighter colour and see how that looks, to mind mind scratches catch the light. Your normal map should also match the scratches too.

for UE4: Yeah that all makes sense to me. The only question I have is what if the material you are making has non-metals and metals? Say a wooden door with metal hinges and handle? Or a sci-fi painted door with metal scratches? Can you use a metalllic map in UE4? Is it worth if for scratches?
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mordin wrote: »
    @superfranky Roughness is a lot like the old speculat maps, eg. its where all the detail goes. You could start with a grey value and paint scratches. I would probably try a lighter colour and see how that looks, to mind mind scratches catch the light. Your normal map should also match the scratches too.

for UE4: Yeah that all makes sense to me. The only question I have is what if the material you are making has non-metals and metals? Say a wooden door with metal hinges and handle? Or a sci-fi painted door with metal scratches? Can you use a metalllic map in UE4? Is it worth if for scratches?

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Materials/PhysicallyBased/index.html

yes, you can use metalness map in UE4

If you have wooden door with metal hinges then you paint metal parts of your texture white in metalness map and non-metal parts black.
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @superfranky

If you're working with UE4 your best bet is to make a mask texture for where your material goes and multiply a scalar to control the roughness. You can add or subtract scratches from this if you want full control of how the roughness is used.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt wrote: »
    @superfranky

If you're working with UE4 your best bet is to make a mask texture for where your material goes and multiply a scalar to control the roughness. You can add or subtract scratches from this if you want full control of how the roughness is used.

I'm working with Marmoset. Maybe I should look into UE4 too.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Mordin wrote: »

Not really true at all. Roughness is essentially a gloss map, not a spec map. It determines how sharp or soft your specular reflection is. The details don't have to match up with your normals necessarily. Some of them can, but a good gloss/roughness map has details in it that aren't a part of the diffuse, normal, or spec. Roughness with the metalness workflow is what is going to give you the most control over your material definition.

The control for it is simply to put brighter values for shinier materials and darker values for for more matte materials ( in marmoset). For scratches and wear it depends on what the surface material is and what material is underneath the surface. It also depends on how the wear was made. There is no set rules it is really about observing materials and determining what you want. The brushed metal look will require a anistropic shader.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Really, partial values for metal are not that off limits. If you have metals with dirt or grime covering them slightly, or transitions between them you can use partial values. I've seen people keep the dirty parts of their metal full white in the metallic map; that's just not correct as the dirt is not a metal.
  • Count Vader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so with a lot of this stuff in mind I experimented a bit and made a quick material that's supposed to be half plastic and half metal. Thought I would share for people like me who are still wrapping their head around this and maybe it will be useful. And to possibly get feedback from the people who are knowledgeable in this stuff.

Note that these aren't the 'physically correct' values for anything as that is some shit I don't even wanna THINK about yet let alone try to tackle.

Also I probably fucked a lot of stuff up here, but this is my first try with PBR. Just sharing this to externalize my though process mostly.

____

My maps. Sorry for the wasted space in the images, this was pretty quick so I didn't bother making a 'proper' unwrap.

Metalness (for this first one since its just black and white I overlayed the UVs to make the mapping a bit clearer since it was pretty quick and messy)

Pretty straightforward, full black for the plastic section and full white for the metal.

vrgThwY.jpg

Albedo: Simple overlays with some texture variation between the metal and plastic.

mCil1YL.jpg

Microsurface/Gloss/Roughness:

This has the broadest range of texture variation, esp on the metal. A lot of the data is unique to this map, but the dirt and variation in the albedo is also present here.

The 'roughness' levels are relatively close for both materials.

Otherwise not that different from a spec or gloss map, guess I conceptualized this as closer to gloss though, since what we used to think of the 'base brightness' for these materials was handled via the metalness values. And it is after all a 'gloss' slot. I am somewhat fortunate in this regard as I spent a lot of time wrapping my head around what a gloss map was, before this PBR thing.

I could see this probably being a big stumbling block for people who didn't necesarilly bifurcate the idea of gloss map vs. spec map in the times of the Old Way though.

wtarxGp.jpg

Screenshot of the material in TB2:

x6XXNzm.png

I dunno, looks like some metal and some plastic to me. Keep in mind I'm not some texturing genius, I was barely getting the hang of it before, so if this looks shitty, let me know.

I also wanted to adress the whole argument of having 'transitional' metalness value, since the verdict seems to be out on whether they should be allowed to happen. My rationale was if there was any dirt or residue over the metal, it would effectively interfere with the metalness of that surface and thus should be (faintly) feature to the metalness map. So I took some of the dirt and added it at 10% opacity to the metalness map. Yall can judge if it looks 'better' or not.

ZbF7tua.png

One aside. When I made the plastic a darker value than the metal, I get these really ugly shading artifacts in the transitional area. Anyone know why? I could see this being very problematic for obvious reasons.

eicNZoW.png
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, decent attempt. You're doing most things right here. The dirt in the metalness map is more correct, I'd say it looks closer to what it should be since the other looks like pure uncovered metal.

Regarding the dark plastic: first off how dark are you going? Don't go below 30/255. You might not be doing that though, and it won't be the cause, but it'll make it less bad.
    I think that's a hard one to solve, and it's caused by 'low res' textures. Super-high res textures wouldn't exhibit that, but it's not the solution. I'd try to premultiply the dark albedo a bit more into the metal, like have it bleed over the edges a bit more, effectively make your metal mask extend a bit more than the albedo mask.
  • Count Vader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Hey man, decent attempt. You're doing most things right here. The dirt in the metalness map is more correct, I'd say it looks closer to what it should be since the other looks like pure uncovered metal.

Regarding the dark plastic: first off how dark are you going? Don't go below 30/255. You might not be doing that though, and it won't be the cause, but it'll make it less bad.
    I think that's a hard one to solve, and it's caused by 'low res' textures. Super-high res textures wouldn't exhibit that, but it's not the solution. I'd try to premultiply the dark albedo a bit more into the metal, like have it bleed over the edges a bit more, effectively make your metal mask extend a bit more than the albedo mask.

Hey, thanks for feedback. I should have specified (though I'm sure it's probably clear enough) with the dark plastic thing, i was doing this in albedo. I actually took off the gloss map altogether and used a constant value to see if somehow the gloss map was causing it, but it was definetely the albedo doing it.

These textures are 2k, (shrank them for uploading) but I dunno what exactly you mean by super high res tho. Like above game res?

I don't remember how dark I went ( didn't save changes when I did it ) But it was pretty dark, like almost black.

The severity of the artifacts seems directly tied to the luminosity of the plastic half in the albedo, with them being most apparent when the plastic is black and dissapearing at the midtone range. If I do the opposite (black metal and white plastic) there is no apparent artifacting.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    These textures are 2k, (shrank them for uploading) but I dunno what exactly you mean by super high res tho. Like above game res?
    I know they go higher but i just want to say 2x-2k = 4096 seems pretty high to me even though I've seen double that and i just can't imagine the load in adobe with that monster after a couple of layers.
    I don't know about anyone else but i get up to 2GBs with 4096 and a few layers it would be great to hear about anyone else's loads as I want to know if this is a problem or normal that i chug 2gbs in memory with high res textures.

^Still sort of on topic.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC wrote: »
    I know they go higher but i just want to say 2x-2k = 4096 seems pretty high to me even though I've seen double that and i just can't imagine the load in adobe with that monster after a couple of layers.
    I don't know about anyone else but i get up to 2GBs with 4096 and a few layers it would be great to hear about anyone else's loads as I want to know if this is a problem or normal that i chug 2gbs in memory with high res textures.

^Still sort of on topic.

It's completely normal, PS eats a ton of RAM. I think 100mb file will eat 4gb of Ram, or if you don't have so much it will eat the space of your scratch disk.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Vader thanks for that breakdown, I'm hoping to work on a PBR piece myself and will add it here as well.

I had a quick question, kinda off topic but didn't think it was worth starting another thread for - how do you guys feel about how PBR will apply to stylised work, e.g. Stuff like Dota or other titles with more of a 'toony' theme?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Vader thanks for that breakdown, I'm hoping to work on a PBR piece myself and will add it here as well.

I had a quick question, kinda off topic but didn't think it was worth starting another thread for - how do you guys feel about how PBR will apply to stylised work, e.g. Stuff like Dota or other titles with more of a 'toony' theme?

Will apply just fine i think, PBR dosnt force realism, it more just forces you to be consistent with your self.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know you are doing the dark plastic in albedo, and like I said, 30/255 is really the lowest value you should ever use on Albedo. There's measured values of dark materials IRL, and charcoal and black acryl paint both measure out well above 30/255 even, more like 50/255 (they are the darkest you'd get).

And regarding resolution: i meant stupid high res, like 16k or something. not viable as a solution.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ count vader - Just did a test myself I found out why the artifacting is happening. So since the metalness has greyscale in it. The metal in those areas isn't getting darkened as much. So the bright color for the metal in the albedo is showing through more. Since your plastic is now darker than that albedo color it creates that halo. The only way to resolve it is to have a higher res map with sharp transitions to limit the blending.

EDIT: To better explain. Metalness makes your albedo black and then uses the color/ value in your albedo map to control reflectance. Wherever there is a grey value in the metalness map the albedo color is being used for both the albedo and reflectance. So what this means is that the bright reflectance color you placed in your albedo for the metal now has alot more diffuse showing. This is what causes that halo.

This seems to be a draw back to the metalness workflow. You don't have any control over the blending of the diffuse and reflectance. Now material masking in udk will most likely help with this issue. I don't see a very good way to handle it in Marmoset.

Here is my scene/ textures and a comparison shot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/afc05uln2i9sva7/Example.zip

rmXCFwr.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just 'pad' the dark albedo non metal part outwards, or pad the metalness map inwards (out from white). it's a simple alpha pre-multiplication issue, like you get with grass that doesn't have green padding in the diffuse.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ Xoliul - I did that. It helped, but never eliminated the issue. Also it created another issue of darkening the diffuse of the dirt when it got t0 the metal area. The problem is there is no room for something to be in between a metal and a non metal. You can get it to work, but it's a lot more work than the reflectance was.