Home General Discussion

how to apply subsurface scattering to a textured character ??

sup guys im a beginner , i textured my character and now how do i SSS it ?? when i put the sss it fills all the object and my characters lips , how do i do and set up subsurface scattering , pls help thanks !!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    What software are you using? A screenshot of your model, and the material settings would help.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    It depends on the software, but in general you are going to control the 'fill' using a radius map, sometimes called a depth map or a weight map. Basically a map where white represents deeper/thicker skin, and black represents thinner skin/less SSS effect.

Beyond this, you'll use maps to control the color as well. There are a lot of guides out there on the subject for every software that has an SSS option, so googling is your best bet.

Beyond all that, a hint to producing realisitic skin -- the specular/reflection matters a lot more to correct looking skin than SSS, despite all the focus given to SSS. Getting your spec correct before the SSS will help nail the look quite a bit.