Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Barber concept + sculpt

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
mavhn polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys long time polycount viewer first time poster. I really admire the quality of work and constructive feedback/support on these forums.

I've been tryin to learn zbrush so I made this concept of a cowboy barber to sculpt. My aims are to create a high quality concept/illustration and a high rez model using a sculpting package.

here is a rough of my initial concept. My initial idea was to make him a sort of hipster punk, with tattoos and piercings. But if you can see in my next image I made him more typically western.

barber_small_draft_by_mavhn-d793aaj.png

Spending some time during lunch breaks I coloured him up and ended up with this. Im pretty happy with it but I could keep working on this forever I keep finding so many things wrong with it. But thought I should just move on.

barber_concept_by_mavhn-d7ar6pw.jpg

As im new to zbrush the progress on the sculpt has been slow. I have some base work I will post up soon. If anyone has any thoughts they are much appreciated. Im keen to get feedback on the sculpts as thats what I'm struggling with most.

p.s Im leaving my job as a 2d/3d artist at a mobile game studio doing lowpoly work here in sydney and moving to "Sunny" Vancouver :). Ive been trying to update my portfolio, if anyone wants to have a look and offer some feedback that would be sweet. e.g website layout/shit work to throw out
www.markhenriksen.com

I don't really know what kind of work i want to move into, judging by my work I suppose I'm strongest at concept art and character modelling.

thanks in advanced duders

Replies

• tristanCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    The concept is fantastic! If you haven't checked it out, Leslie Van den Broeck did a great write up in Vertex2 about sculpting stylized characters that might help you out. You can find it here: http://www.artbypapercut.com/

Since you don't have any sculpt pics up it's basically hard to comment on that. As for your portfolio and what you want to do:

The portfolio as it stands is solid all around, but if you're considering focusing on a certain aspect be it concept, character, or environment/props I would eliminate anything that isn't a part of what you want to do. It helps anyone looking immediately identify the type of work you are focusing on/specializing in.

If I were in your shoes I'd make the change based on what type of art you love creating the most, and/or what you are most skilled in.

Anyway, can't wait to see some progress on the sculpt, I'll be subscribing.
  • mavhn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mavhn polycounter lvl 10
    hey thanks tristianCarter
    yeah ive been checking out Vanden Broeck sculpts its very cool.
    here is my slow progress of the sculpt so far.
    any comments welcome

barber_sculpt_wip_by_mavhn-d7bjh8h.jpg
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    omg hes so frigen daper. i love this!
  • tristanCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    Great progress so far. I'd think about increasing the size of the boots just ever so slightly, it doesn't need much, but right now it feels a little odd. In addition, I'd rethink those folds. The folds at the bottom of those pants are going to form those nice diamond patterns you often see. It'll wind up being more of a zigzag. The same will happen around the knees. In addition, the sharpness of the fold is determined by the softness or stiffness of a material. The type of pants you've put on this character will likely result in a much sharper fold.

The face, mustache and hair are coming along nicely. The only thing I'd recommend going back and editing is the connection of the ear. Right now it seems like it was just stamped on. The forms of the ear blend into the face rather than get tacked on. In addition, you likely haven't given enough depth to the top and back of the ear as it connects to the skull.

Other than that, keep up the great work.