Home› Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: DanRileyCG

Hey guys, thought I'd finally make a sketchbook thread. I'm greatly inspired by the amazing talent on these forums, and am especially amazed by the progress of other artists through their sketchbooks!

Please follow along in my journey to become the best artist I can!

Critiques and other comments absolutely welcome, I'm looking to use this thread as a way to improve myself in any way possible, and highly value constructive feedback.

Peace,
Dan

Replies

• DanRileyCG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, for my first entry: gesture study.

I really want to improve with my figure drawing, It's an area I find very difficult. Here I'm trying to draw gesture, which is great practice, and not easy for me as I often over-complicate everything. I sometimes have a really hard time seeing gesture in scenarios where the model isn't doing an "extreme" pose. I'm also trying to get use to drawing "through" the body, like showing the back legs and arms that are hidden.

PS. For those of you who have your own Sketchbooks what's the best way for me to attach images? Should I use an external site and link them here? Or should I link them with the "manage attachments" option in the post? I just don't want my work to disappear after a few years.

These sketches vary from like 1 min to like 5 mins or so.
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Nice figure drawings!
    Personally i like to link the pictures directly from a host because sometimes you're not logged in the forum and you can't see attachment files. I like to be able to scroll through all the pictures without having to necessarly log in often, and it makes it easier to drag and drop them to the "inspiring artists reference folder" :poly136:.
    In the end it is just a personal taste, nothing on the internet is saved eternally, so which option you chose is up to you I guess
    Looking forward to see more of your work!
  • DanRileyCG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Yedp,Thanks man! I have a long way to go, but I'm really proud that I'm as motivated as I am. I've just gotta stay on track. I didn't have a ton of time for drawing tonight. I was working on some 3D stuff-- I'll be posting 3D stuff here soon too.

I decided I'll just post the images into the thread :D

Here are some quick sketches-- wish I had time for more
    Anatomy_Sketching_005-682x1024.jpg

Following a tutorial on drawing busts, here's what I have thus far:
    Anatomy_Sketching_006-682x1024.jpg
  • DanRileyCG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't had much time for 2D art, but here's my first bust in Zbrush! This is definitely the first of many! Took me a few hours, maybe 3 or so. I had a reference for the initial idea but then deviated quite a bit from it.

This was meant to be more of a "sketch." It gave me a chance to experiment with brushes, and learn some of the tools.

Bat_Creature_01.jpg
  • DanRileyCG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    small update... no reference used, just experimenting.

Imagination_01.jpg