Home Dota 2

Gradient Map!

Thx for stopping by!
I am currently using blender atm while I am trying to learn 3ds Max. For now my problem is I want gradient map and I dont know how to create it. If anyone knows how to create it in blender, 3ds Max or in xnormal pls write how.
Thx for all help!!!!

Replies

• Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    I don't know anything about blender but there are a dew options for max.

There was a script on the front page of poly count that does this.

Or, the way I do it is:

-UVW unwrap model, leave the UVW unwrap on the top of the modifier stack.
    -Apply a UVW map set to planar.
    -Set the UVW unwrap channel to 2. Choose 'move'.
    -Apply a gradient material to the mesh.
    -Align the UVW map so that the gradient is oriented correctly
    -Hit '0' to go to the RTT dialogue.

-In mapping coordinates section make sure channel 2 is selected
    -In output add a diffuse map at the appropriate size and tell it to save to a good location.
    -Hit render, ignore the pop-up.
    -Ignore the render preview.
    -Look at the file that you saved out from the output settings.
    -It should be a nice old gradient map :3

If you would like I could spend some time making an image based tutorial of this.
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    any ideas on how to do the same process in maya?
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    In the thread accompanying that script:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2010609&postcount=26

I don't know how to do it manually in Maya though
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Here's what you want for Maya, Belkun gave me the link a while back:

http://www.kostas.se/?p=343
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I think that the easiest way of all, doable in any 3d program, is to simply create an image in photoshop with a black to white gradient on it, create planar UVs inside the secondary UV channel of your model, and apply the gradient texture to that. Then transfer this texture information from the newly created UV channel to the original.

If you are not comfortable with transferring texture data from one UV channel to another, you could also simply make two obj copies of your model (one with the regular UVs, and the other with the flat UVs), load them as "low" and "high" in xnormal or any other baking tool, and transfer the texture data that way.

Good luck !
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    pior wrote: »
    I think that the easiest way of all, doable in any 3d program, is to simply create an image in photoshop with a black to white gradient on it, create planar UVs inside the secondary UV channel of your model, and apply the gradient texture to that. Then transfer this texture information from the newly created UV channel to the original.

If you are not comfortable with transferring texture data from one UV channel to another, you could also simply make two obj copies of your model (one with the regular UVs, and the other with the flat UVs), load them as "low" and "high" in xnormal or any other baking tool, and transfer the texture data that way.

Good luck !

Is that similar to what I do? Only I use the gradient option already available as a material in max?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it's very similar :) Personally I quite like the idea of using a texture, because it give the option of controlling it nicely straight from within Photoshop. But yeah, there are many variants of that technique ...
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    Ok, cool. Just making sure because I had figured out how to do that myself and I wasn't sure if it was 'right'. Now that you have brought up the texture thing I will try it and see what sorts of results I can get with doing it that way.

• cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx you all guys! 9 answers in so little time.
    I think I will fo with the way Reyne wrote but I am quite new to Max so I will probably wont do it properly at the first try but pretty sure I will make it at last.
    Anyways I will ask if I have any problems but till then goodbye!
    And thx alot again!
  • polarbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A really newbie question here: What is a Gradient Map for?

It seems like everyone knows how to create one, but what do you use it for? what's the benefit?
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @polarbear, its to create some focus in the item.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, for the sake of clarity it's probably worth noting that the term "gradient map" does not originally refer to what is being discussed here.

Here we are talking about a top-down gradient applied to a character in order to simulate lighting attenuation (and thus, like GD mentions it, creating focus on the top of the item), which is then transferred to a texture. (a "gradient" baked to a texture "map", shortened into the inaccurate term of "Gradient Map")

But originally the term "Gradient Map" refers to the action of mapping a user-defined color gradient of colors to an image according to the intensity of its original greyscale values - similarly to the old school technique of palette swapping. So, if you make a google search on "Gradient Map", that's mostly what you'll end up with.

GradientMap.gif

And to make things even more confusing ... a common practice would be to take the "Gradient [baked to a texture] Map" ... and apply a Gradient Map to it, in order to colorize it :D

Hope this helps !
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior: Wow!!!
    No offense but I will still call it gradient map, :D
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha yeah man whatever works :) I don't think I could come up with a better name anyway ... maybe ... Gradient Bake ? Or something like that hehe ;)
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Get out Dustin, this is no place for logic.

(But yeah, pretty much that)
  • chrisundrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisundrum polycounter lvl 9
    ...*Googles attenuation map*... *confused as hell
    ...*Polycount search*..nothing

how does one bake an attenuation map dustin and or spud?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe - again, there's no proper term per say ... we were just trying to coin a term for "top to bottom gradient baked to texture" map :)

I thereby propose : Farbabstufung Map (german for gradient)
    Or even cooler : Kōbai Map (Japanese)

:D
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @Chris
    No that was a joke for another name for a gradient map. Since a gradient map really is to replace colors by value. This "gradient" map is about lightning information.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    @pior Kōbai Map sounds cool actually. I hope that's not what gradient map is called in Japanese version of Photoshop :D
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha yeah that would go full circle :D
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Axis directional gradient map perhaps? :P
    Bit too long though. Think of the axises values as your black-to-white values like how the RGB luminance version in Photoshop does it. Then again maybe someone uses some other funky direction other than axises for all I know.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I'm definitely in favor of Kobai map as the new official term for a top-down gradient bake.
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, me too, let's start using Kobai Map, +1 Frump xD
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    kodde wrote: »
    Then again maybe someone uses some other funky direction other than axises for all I know.

Ellipse Curve Gradient map?
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    That sounds funky enough :)