Home Technical Talk

My smoothing workflow [3ds Max tutorial]

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
Joost polycount sponsor
Hey guys, just wanted to share my workflow for creating high polys.
It's based on the double smoothing method, but results in far less polys.
This isn't foolproof, but I find that 90% of the time it works.
The main benefit is that it creates uniform edge thickness, and you can control the thickness at any time by moving a slider.

You do need to purchase the quad chamfer plugin for this to work, but it's definitely worth it in my opinion.
http://www.mariussilaghi.com/products/quad-chamfer

If it gives unwanted results, you can just apply the same smoothing group to the problem area and manually add your support loops there.

Low poly cage with smoothing groups assigned
i0mkkWD.png

Added a quad chamfer modifier, set to chamfer by smoothing groups. You can also check "quad intersections" and "quad ends" to fix any possible smoothing errors.
libwej2.png

Turbosmooth on top of quad chamfer
hpWmfoe.png

Another example:

Secondary support loops already in place. They should be equidistant and there's a some weird shading, but this is a pretty small detail and it took very little effort to make using this method.

eWbF6mo.png

Jw5nt3P.png

705W13J.png

You can also use a reverse workflow in some cases. Use a turbosmooth set to smoothing groups to smooth out the silhouette and then add a quad chamfer on top to soften the edges.

T9TC9de.png

UdQd3xo.png

QsOfAvW.png

a6qFXTV.png

Hope this is useful for someone :)

Replies

• WarrenM
    Nice, yes, I use that top method all the time. It's a super fast way to get simple shapes with nice edges done quickly. Love it.
  • tynew
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Nice method. Wouldn't it be faster though to just add loops using swift loop then turbosmooth?
  • WarrenM
    It's less fussy. You auto smooth the mesh to, say, 60 degrees and throw on the modifier. Done!
  • Mark Dygert
    It's not as convoluted as "double smooth" so that's awesome. When is autodesk going to update the junky old tri-chamfer? This modifier has been around for a while and they haven't snatched it up and integrated it? Come on autodesk its the one thing you do and you're not even doing that? =P

Yea yea I've heard the rumors that quad chamfer is in 2015, we'll have to see if they do it AND if they do it well... They have a history of fumbling these things.
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    tynew wrote: »
    Nice method. Wouldn't it be faster though to just add loops using swift loop then turbosmooth?

If it's a simple cylinder, then yes. BUT now you have a bunch of extra verts in your model, making it harder to edit it. Quad chamfer is just a modifier that you can toggle on and off. with swift loop you're also guessing the distance so your edges won't be the same thickness.

Also look at my second example, it would be pretty time consuming to add loops there. with quad chamfer you just throw on some smoothing groups and you're done.
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    It's not as convoluted as "double smooth" so that's awesome. When is autodesk going to update the junky old tri-chamfer? This modifier has been around for a while and they haven't snatched it up and integrated it? Come on autodesk its the one thing you do and you're not even doing that? =P

Yea yea I've heard the rumors that quad chamfer is in 2015, we'll have to see if they do it AND if they do it well... They have a history of fumbling these things.

Yeah it would be nice if it's in 2015. The same guy who made this plugin also made quad cap pro and turbosmooth pro, and a load of other plugins. Kind of makes you wonder what autodesk is doing with all of that money.