Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alex's High Poly Improvement Thread

Replies

• reaxion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reaxion polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work man, sweet concept too. I like how the rock has areas of intrest like the ribbing on the inside and alot of nice varity in your sculpt overall.

My only suggestion is to really dig in the crack areas between shapes, 'shelfing' the rocks more, to produce more contrast in the geo/shadows from a far. Mainly in the area where the sunlight hits the top of the fomation. I'm reaching.

Nice touch with the corpses and vultures too, my first thought was something from the Judge Dredd universe.

I like the simplicty of the concpt too, looking at this as a complete scene I see 4-5 different rocks it looks like, groundplane, hanging body asset (swinging) and vulture/bird asset (flying/circling.) Tells a story too nice.

Cheers
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    reaxion wrote: »
    Nice work man, sweet concept too. I like how the rock has areas of intrest like the ribbing on the inside and alot of nice varity in your sculpt overall.

My only suggestion is to really dig in the crack areas between shapes, 'shelfing' the rocks more, to produce more contrast in the geo/shadows from a far. Mainly in the area where the sunlight hits the top of the fomation. I'm reaching.

Nice touch with the corpses and vultures too, my first thought was something from the Judge Dredd universe.

I like the simplicty of the concpt too, looking at this as a complete scene I see 4-5 different rocks it looks like, groundplane, hanging body asset (swinging) and vulture/bird asset (flying/circling.) Tells a story too nice.

Cheers
    Yeah I'm going to try and see if I can take the concept(which I didn't make btw) all the way without getting board/wasting too much time. My goal right now is to improve my organics, and yeah I really think youre right. I made another sculpt today and I think it looks meh. I will use it but I think what I really need to do is get some studies of REAL things not just from concepts, then I can transfer over what I've learned to something bigger such as this and have better rocks. I am re-topoing that arch right now, then placing it in the scene. I am looking forward to the animals and particles and well, everything. I made a quick blockout too for the whole scene.

Anyways thanks for the crits. I really like crits no matter how small and I feel like my work is decent but could still be a lot better so sometimes noticing critical flaws can really help me. Such as more defined forms as you said.

Will post more soon.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay not high poly but over a few nights a finally finished this scene, I really did most of it in a few nights and it's a practice scene. I learned a little but overall didnt really feel like I hit any of my goals. Whatever please crit I guess. I am not happy with it. I could post my crits but I want people to do it so I can see their point of view. fb67e84078.png
  • SkyGround
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyGround polycounter lvl 11
    Hey buddy! Nice stuff here.
    I didnt like that there is no main object and almost only 2 colors everywhere.
    Here is my 5cents

Also, maybe it could be better without such dark shadows.

Anyway, like your stuff

download?id=7mslSTAHlGUCoII3tVvomD9yozwVrH
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah I agree with his paint over

On a slightly random note
    On your portfolio you have this on your UE4 thing

"I made this scene using all modular parts and 4 texture maps in total. I cannot show breakdowns but I can show screens due to my NDA"
    But UE4 is out now release breakdowns!

Sorry for random post
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robeomega wrote: »
    Yeah I agree with his paint over

On a slightly random note
    On your portfolio you have this on your UE4 thing

"I made this scene using all modular parts and 4 texture maps in total. I cannot show breakdowns but I can show screens due to my NDA"
    But UE4 is out now release breakdowns!

Sorry for random post

Well at the time it wasn't, I was using the rocket beta. Also Thanks guys for the crits.

http://imgur.com/a/wRuMe

Im trying to decide which of these scenes to try next. (see link)
    on an unrelated note I am curious about what you guys think when you make scenes. When I make them I might be excited for the first day, but I find I'm so hard on myself and that I do 3d SO much that I find it just straight up painful to do, like this scene, if I wanted to make it really better I could have just started over, but I didn't, I didn't learn how to use terrain blending in unreal which was one of my goals.

I make scenes for one angle and have never really made a playable space I guess you could say, I cut corners, get lazy, ect. I really just get to the point in any scene where I hate working on it more than anything in the world.

Now I have many theories on this and one is that I don't do it for fun sometimes, and strictly for the challenge, which I think is a big part of it.

I still think like I'm working on my portfolio, I do scenes less because they are fun, and more because I want to build my skills.

Anyways I don't know what exactly I'm asking about all this shit. Does anyone else end up not enjoying making scenes? I enjoy most projects at the start and get bored halfway through, then force myself to finish them half assed.

I'm not promising anything because I'm apparently really bad at sticking to things I say I'm going to do in 3d but I have been wanting to do this for awhile. 7xOqG
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Doooo it duude. I'll stay up late and work it too if you're down.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 wrote: »
    Doooo it duude. I'll stay up late and work it too if you're down.

OMG LETS DO IT! G+ tonight?
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Ye. What time? The earlier the better sense I'm 3 hours ahead of you.
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Already got the seat done Alex, might as well keep it going! Block the rest of it out around that seat, your proportions should all line up nicely while having that seat already done to compare scale of all the other pieces.

Good luck you guys, post up when you got some sweet stuff! Cause that's all I expect here.

EDIT: Plus great job on the desert scene, +1 on that paintover, helps out a ton, keep that one goin!
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Get her done!!
    Great stuff!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I guess we have to do it now! Um well I get home pretty late, I could be home at 830 my time. So that's still pretty late:/ Maybe we could do weekends? And I could work on a scene during the week.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Nah. Get home earlier, then we get down. :D Could have it done by the end of the week.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Well at the time it wasn't, I was using the rocket beta. Also Thanks guys for the crits.

on an unrelated note I am curious about what you guys think when you make scenes. When I make them I might be excited for the first day, but I find I'm so hard on myself and that I do 3d SO much that I find it just straight up painful to do, like this scene, if I wanted to make it really better I could have just started over, but I didn't, I didn't learn how to use terrain blending in unreal which was one of my goals.

I make scenes for one angle and have never really made a playable space I guess you could say, I cut corners, get lazy, ect. I really just get to the point in any scene where I hate working on it more than anything in the world.

Now I have many theories on this and one is that I don't do it for fun sometimes, and strictly for the challenge, which I think is a big part of it.

I still think like I'm working on my portfolio, I do scenes less because they are fun, and more because I want to build my skills.

Anyways I don't know what exactly I'm asking about all this shit. Does anyone else end up not enjoying making scenes? I enjoy most projects at the start and get bored halfway through, then force myself to finish them half assed.

I'm not promising anything because I'm apparently really bad at sticking to things I say I'm going to do in 3d but I have been wanting to do this for awhile. 7xOqG

Hey man, glad to see you made progress. I could give some feedback on the desert scene if you'd be interested. I'd say this : "Does anyone else end up not enjoying making scenes? I enjoy most projects at the start and get bored halfway through, then force myself to finish them half assed." is a bit noticeable on your screenshot. I must say that sometimes I'm in the same shoes in this question, I was just never be enough brave to ask here if this is normal or not...Its based on what I make, but I also get this often. I don't know if this is something wrong, I hope it isn't. But anyways, I would use 2 type of sands in the desert scene. I smoother, and a wavy one. It would be much more fun to blend these on the terrain, than just using one material. The corpses under the rock arch looks corpses to me on the concepts, and they looks more like some kind of animal skulls on your work. I'd definitely make them human or animal chunks in the 3d implementation too, so then you could make more (closer) screenshots too for your portfolio images. Also, maybe this would make the process more "colorful". I mean It would allow you to make a wider range of assets, so things would be less boring. You know, Its all sand and stone atm, and if you would make corpses too, then you could make flesh/bone/gut pieces with interesting materials, and such.

The quad would be an interesting piece, but if you don't get the desert piece to the state that you was imagining at the start, then I would say it was a waste of time a little, because you didn't reach the goals. I know, you wanted to learn more about playable areas, but maybe this isn't the best scene to learn this. You can learn this better later with an other scene, but leaving it as nah I bored this shit, lets go to the another isn't improve you. Don't do this :)

Edit - Okay, After looking at the desert concept again, I'd say make a terrain, not just a small piece of imported mesh (I don't know if its already a piece of terrain or an imported static mesh) make 2-3-4 bigger modular rock formations, and a few unique ones, and put them together on a terrain with a few blended tileable textures, and whoala, you got a bigger playable desert area. Getting back the birds (probably vultures?) from the concept would be also fun.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    That rock looks amazing!
    I could stare at it all day, the rest of the scene could use some more variation and a tweaked composition though.

I had a question about that cylinder cap comment from JordanN on the first page.
    Why would that be better? Wouldn't it smooth just as well with a center vert?
    More important, wouldn't that enable you to add another loop if you needed it with the resulting loop being more 'round'?
  • NickGW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickGW polycounter lvl 7

I tend to go through the same arc as I'm working on a project, so I can empathize with how you feel. If your worried about losing interest in something then I'd choose a concept that will keep you engaged beyond any learning goals you might have. When you pick a project you might go for one that has an idea or story you really like and want to convey. I've found that doing this makes it a heck of a lot easier to maintain interest.

Sometimes you also just need to do something else, work on a small project on the side to get you away from what might be killing your motivation. I only have time to work on a large project at home and even then only a few hours each night so I tend to focus really hard on what I need to get done during that time and when I'm at work (tutor at a college) I work on smaller projects that may never end up in my portfolio. These projects are usually small and ones I wouldn't normally work on so I can just mess around and have fun. removing a lot of the pressure to make something for my portfolio alleviates a lot of the stress associated with it. It also just breaks things up and gets me away from thinking about what ever might be demotivating about the larger project.

I honestly wouldn't worry about level design in the gameplay flow sense unless you have a type of game in mind. I'd focus more on story, mood and overall quality. From what I understand most large studios will have a dedicated LD so your job as an environment artist will be to make the level look nice and interesting to play within, which is where story, mood and the overall quality come into play. Having said that I would certainly work on the scene as a larger extended space instead of just as what you see in a concept. It helps give an environment a larger sense of purpose beyond just a snapshot. It also gives you more opportunities to build upon what you see in the concept, extend the usage of modular assets, and build upon the narrative your trying to tell.

Anyway I hope some of my rambling wall of text helps.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for replying. I will try and respond in my half asleep state as best I can I think youre right I need to pick something I like, that's part of my issue. I pick things to learn, not to enjoy, which is probably self defeating thinking to some extent. I enjoy poly modeling more than anything so I tend to do that the most. I think I'm good at making small assets and it's putting it together I'm not the best at, or rather lazy with. Maybe both. I also struggle with this feeling that everything I do, I make, anything, is ultimately pointless. While I know that's not true totally I still feel like I could be doing something better, in real life, I am 21 and never got to do all the crazy shit and have fun and waste time most people my age or younger got to do, I want to live life but I also want to do well in my career. It's lame like that.

Anyways, I think I'm going to break up my projects, that's what I did with the arena net art test and why I finished that most of the way (AND I WAS STILL LAZY ON THAT) it took me three months.

I want to make a playable space because it's good practice and still relevant I think, sure we have them at my work, level designers, but I want to be good at that stuff, I'm still and environment artist, and when needed we have to be able to do everything needed.

Additionally I won't revisit my desert scene, I could, but in the end it's not something that I am interested in and it took me a few days anyways, I learned a little and reminded myself that I can't work strictly on one thing and still enjoy it, so I learned that at least and did some things I've never done.
    I had a question about that cylinder cap comment from JordanN on the first page.
    Why would that be better? Wouldn't it smooth just as well with a center vert?

It doesn't really matter what your topo is on a flat surface, you could have 4000 star shaped ngons as long as you have a flat surface with correct support loops.

Thanks for the crits kristof I'll use those in my next scene. I tried to make smoother sand but i was lazy as fuck and just used decals instead of doing the smoother sand (which I even had made but was too lazy to add) I also could have just re-sculpted the other rock because I knew it was bad but didn't take the extra hour to make a not shit one. I could have done a lot to make it better and chose not to out of disdain for the scene but thanks for taking the time to write out a good crit because it's true:)

I sleep now.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll bbe honest I'm, not the most sovber. Anywayus I was making wheel, I'dk if it's really any good I was kinda lazy. Maybe I should start over. 4b431f5b9f.png
    other news, i got a 4k monitor, this is what it looks like to do things in it. http://puu.sh/8nKIP/8946de3318.png
    http://puu.sh/8nJNS/42def7843e.png
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    um, i don't think we can tell you're drunk (sarcasm). But I think the wheel is a tad muddy, its extremely soft. Also, holy crap, all them pixels.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge wrote: »
    um, i don't think we can tell you're drunk (sarcasm). But I think the wheel is a tad muddy, its extremely soft. Also, holy crap, all them pixels.

it's rumbber m8
    and yeah man a million bnillion pixels. I t hink imma reado the metal in the middle tho tonight in a bit.
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    yeah, i know its rubber. but it still feels really soft. but thats just my opinion. and tired eyes.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I pretty much started over, now that I feel more normalish.
    7a82164f98.png
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Too much text on this page. Good on you for crankin some images :D

I don't think the tires are too soft. They are....mushy though. You can have a wide/tick edge without it feeling like a ball of play dough. More chamfer, Less falloff. The centers look better. Its mostly the outer edge.
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    i guess "mushy" would be a better way of saying it. just, to me... it doesn't read like tread to me. the metal parts do look a lot better now though.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK g. When its not .84527 am ill get back on it if I can. I has to do a lot of work work too this weekend.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost no progress, modeled that thing twice. I find that I fuck stuff up the first time really bad. Still this isn't that perfect and I'm soberin up still anyways. I don't want to get hung up on any one part too much so if I don't like it after I do the next parts I'll revisit it. d9cf9c6805.png
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    You know what they say, fail fast and fail early.
    In order to double your success rate you gotta triple your failure rate. :poly124:
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »
    You know what they say, fail fast and fail early.
    In order to double your success rate you gotta triple your failure rate. :poly124:

That's what I'm learning now. I think the reason my work always seems "good" or whatever is because I can nail stuff I know I can do well, things I'm uncomfortable with, not so much, or at least that's how I feel. My boss was like, yeah you have senior and junior work in your portfolio. I was like, wot m8.

That's also why I won't render this most likely or nicely till I'm done because I don't want to distract from the modeling, I render shit too much:P
    I've redone everything on this at least twice and still am not happy with it, I think though that by the time I'm done I'll have learned a lot and it will all look good together when it's done and all dat.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    m8 it's true though.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! Gald you are sticking to this.
    Some things are off compared to the concept though. like the air vent thingys near the top of the fender.. ect.
    Keep going man!
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I think you need to focus less on details at this stage and focus more on nailing the blocking out. Get the major shapes in and interacting with each other correctly and then start refining after you have a foundation. This way shapes work together logically and have a proper form before you start doing HP bits. This will help with pieces like the front "Fins" that you already have detailed. Those look like they are part of the "center hood". and that hood seems as if Its part of the main tank area. Creating these pieces independently from each other will create a disjointed look I think.

Not dead accurate to the concept, but here is kinda what I mean. Make a few of the major shapes that are interacting with each other, Then move on from there:

p63ABQS.png

kgRw5Wo.png

EuVC0UA.png
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus polycounter lvl 7
    s6 wrote: »

kgRw5Wo.png

Could I hijack the thread for a moment and ask how you did that diagonal cut across the center of this piece? I'm pretty sure I could figure it out, but I'd like to see your method and maybe a wireframe of the smoothed mesh.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I'm sorry, I didn't save the model. I don't have wire shots. I just made the entire shape as if there was no diagonal cut and then cut one in once it was the major forms smoothed nicely. Simple retopologizing and cutting in support loops from there. Nothing magical :)
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus polycounter lvl 7
    OK, thanks. Yeah sometimes I over-think stuff.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    86e5158a6b.jpg
    some crap i made at lunch. I got really lazy on the bottom part to be honest, really lazy.
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you feel like you've improved, quality, speed, and efficiency wise since starting this thread? If you're lunches are as short as mine, I'd say hell yes you have. Very nice Alex. We all get lazy too sometimes, but if you hadn't told me, I probably would've never nitpicked the bottom part ;)

Just a fun study or is this for a larger piece youre planning?
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stockwell wrote: »
    Do you feel like you've improved, quality, speed, and efficiency wise since starting this thread? If you're lunches are as short as mine, I'd say hell yes you have. Very nice Alex. We all get lazy too sometimes, but if you hadn't told me, I probably would've never nitpicked the bottom part ;)

Just a fun study or is this for a larger piece youre planning?

I have a lot but I'm still not there, I did do a little after work but it yeah I'm a lot better but still feel like I could be even better by a lot. I've really gotten way better though in the past two months since I started, almost 3. I need something I actually want to model is the problem, I keep getting really bored and impatient halfway though things. And it to answer your question it was just a random hey immma model this.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    something i started and never finished a few weeks back. I did learn a little bit from it and play around with some new stuff. Instead I'm slowing working on the covenant carbine from halo 4. (shots later if I ever even finsh that... Also I think puush is deleting my shit so hopefully all my images in this thread don't go away forever:(408889e46e.png
    Okay I decided to post it:
    So I got pretty much everthing beside the bottom panels done in the last hour or so ddffb2b39d.png
    36f0885ca9.png I know that a lot of my edges are pretty tight but it's okay. I am also loosening the ones that will be a different material and then deciding if I'll zbrush them later on after I've finished the model. I plan to probably redo the bottom panels because they came out kinda shit. I am trying to make sure there is a lot of good depth in me model so it doesnt look blocky like a lot of scifi stuff.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a tad more progress, been absurdly busy. Stil have not re-done the panels on the bottom, with luck I will finish this in a few weeks cause no time ;_;. Gunna do a final pass on the edges too. b89caddd9c.png
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    86e5158a6b.jpg
    some crap i made at lunch. I got really lazy on the bottom part to be honest, really lazy.

is that a turbo or a water pump? either way, very nice :thumbup:
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Aga22 wrote: »
    is that a turbo or a water pump? either way, very nice :thumbup:

Its actually both.

It generates boost to force induct coolant into the engine.

:poly142:
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    Nice to see you are sticking with this!
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Trash compression.

Use Cubeupload
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImageShack?

Looking great man!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use imgur

s6 I upload png's u mad brah. And I would but it's so much work you know, I have to manually upload stuff, very taxing emotionally. And thanks guys I'll try and get more done tonight.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Get dropbox.. Put everything you want on the netz in the public folder (I have a sub with PC stuff) and then right click for public link.. It's the easiest way possible, and it's lossless.. Pretty much. Aaaaand.. I'll be able to see your pictures.. It's blocked right now..
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    Get dropbox.. Put everything you want on the netz in the public folder (I have a sub with PC stuff) and then right click for public link.. It's the easiest way possible, and it's lossless.. Pretty much. Aaaaand.. I'll be able to see your pictures.. It's blocked right now..

I'll do that, I think my dropbox is almost full but I'll make space.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b4e8c010dc.png
    7c101a5084.png
    meheheashae whatever
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    b4e8c010dc.png
    7c101a5084.png
    meheheashae whatever

I was talking about Imgurs compression, it's trash. Not your images. Cubeupload.com has zer0 compression. Easy to use too. Not sure about dropbox. May work just as well.

Digging the update. the Chamber(?) is looking really cool. I'm liking the curves on it.

Watch your edge width on that fore end though. Looking pretty tight ATM.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Off topice (kinda)

Imgur has this tucked away in the settings.
    Upload images in high quality.
    Enabling this feature will make uploading larger images extremely slow. If enabled, images that are larger than 4MB could take up to 5 minutes to upload. If disabled, larger images will upload in seconds.